G Luka Gracnar - EC Salzburg, Austria (2012 undrafted)

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
41-42277881.jpg

Just throwing this out there, seeing as Slovenia might have a very good goalie in the making. Luka Gracnar, from Hrušica (same home town as Anze Kopitar - they're good friends), just turned 19 a week ago or so, currently playing for Salzburg in EBEL (Austria). Got the top position ahead of NHLer Alex Auld and top Austria goalie Brückler. Has a 92.4% SVS and 2.34 GAA with two shutouts in 12 games. Also had a shutout yesterday against Italy in the EIHC tournament in Ljubljana for Slovenia.

He's a bit short at the moment, 5'10, but I think he could be NHL potential. He will be competing in the Division I Group A 2013 IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship and we're all hoping he makes a good impression there and possibly gets seen by an NHL scout.

As I said, just throwing this out there since it's so hard for players from Slovenia to get noticed and recognized. He might make it, he might now, a new thread here can't hurt.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Brückler was just brought in, cause Pierre Page was not satisfied with Auld. Because Brückler hasn't played all season so far, Gracnar got the starts - i guess Brückler will be given every chance in the coming games.

But that shouldn't take away from Gracnar, he is a great talent. If he was bigger, he would probably be a very solid NHL prospect.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
Yeah, I imagine Brückler has a much higher salary than Gracnar so I doubt he was brought in as a bench warmer. No idea why Auld is still there tough, I bet his salary ain't small. Guess money grows on trees for Salzburg. Anyway, I guess when Brückler is warmed up he'll get more starts but hope Gracnar stays in the mix as well. Could be a big season for him. Does need to gain at least a couple of inches to be NHL material.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
well he should go to NA next season, drafted or not
pretty sure Kopi could kick some tires for him

he has the tools, but if he wants to be an NHLer he has to go out of our league asap

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Gračnar "most improved" domestic* EBEL player this season according to the hockey blog in the online edition of Austrian newspaper "Der Standard" (http://derstandard.at/1363706681470/Einheimische-am-aufsteigenden-Ast?_slideNumber=12&_seite=).

*From Austria, Slovenia, Hungary and the Czech Republic.

In a season very difficult for Salzburg the 19-year old one by one pushed Import [Shawn] Hunwick, NHL man [Alex] Auld and National Team player [Bernd] Brückler out of the team. His GAA of 2.41 in the regular season is the best figure since Artūrs Irbe (2004-05 season), in the play-offs he even pushed his GAA down to 2.22. Long since Northamerican clubs have sent their scouts out to observe the easygoing Slovene. Although he is practically one year late, Gračnar has realistic chances to be drafted in the summer. His new three-year contract in Salzburg already has an corresponding out-clause.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
Now I really get excited about him, guess he will be picked by the Kings in a later round.

What do you guys think he should do next year?

Stay in Salzburg as #1?
Go to a better Euro league?
Or will the team that picks him bring him to NA for adjustment reasons?

That sais, option two is unlikely since he signed a new contract with RedBull, I just wanna know what route he SHOULD go...

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
As far as I understand his Salzburg contract has an out-clause for a couple of leagues, that probably includes AHL I imagine.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
As far as I understand his Salzburg contract has an out-clause for a couple of leagues, that probably includes AHL I imagine.

I think the out-clause is for NA, so AHL too. I could be wrong though...

but I don`t think he will go right to the A, more likely ECHL or something like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad