G Linus Ullmark (2012, 163rd, BUF)

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No complaints so far. He's a big, quick guy who clearly does a lot of work off ice. Still a bit jumpy at times and maybe a bit over aggressive. Also, a little shaky playing the puck. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see both of those issues smoothed out in a few more games with some confidence. Generally, a pretty consistent goalie (judging by his MODO days), his positioning, tracking, rebound control, and reflexes are pretty good and if the Sabre defense can keep him from getting roasted, he'll continue to be successful.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Didn't play well his first game, didn't play great his second game although he "did enough to win." Didn't see him last night, but any time you allow only one goal on 30 shots you had a good night. I could see Johnson and Ullmark splitting time until Lehner comes back.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Didn't play well his first game, didn't play great his second game although he "did enough to win." Didn't see him last night, but any time you allow only one goal on 30 shots you had a good night. I could see Johnson and Ullmark splitting time until Lehner comes back.

Ya think? I'd be surprised at this point to see Johnson getting any gratuitous starts. Ullmark did have a tough first game but nearly pulled a shut out in his 2nd and looked even better in his 3rd. I'd imagine they'd be silly to not at least ride it out. Once Lehner is healthy, they'll both fight for a starting job and as long as Ullmark is still playing well, they'll make sure Lehner is not only in good health but also in good shape before they hand the reigns back to him.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Got to think he's going to be Buffalo's #1 goalie sooner rather than later, he's been playing quite good in Lehner's absence.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I've been impressed. He's got a nice future ahead of him IMO, but if we can get average starter play out of him this year I'd be thrilled.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Guy has been underyped the last couple years, he's definitely demonstrated the potential to become an NHL starter. Watching him play in the NHL, a few things stand out: 1) His rebound control is great, especially compared to Chad Johnson. Most of the time, he's either able to hold onto the puck or direct it into a good area. Doesn't turn routine low-percentage chances into goals by giving up big fat rebounds like Johnson does. 2) Not sure his hips are fully recovered or rehabbed yet from his off-season surgery. Once he goes down, he looks slow. 3) He's gotten better each game so far. First game, his reads weren't quick enough, and he looked nervous/shaky. Next one, he was more solid. Last game, he made a handful of impressive stops.

All-in-all, if he can generally maintain league average numbers, there's no reason he shouldn't keep getting the bulk of the starts until Lehner returns. Unless he really takes off in that time, once Lehner comes back I think he goes back to the AHL to get more minutes and seasoning, though. Down the road, I would not be at all surprised if he ends up being Buffalo's starter.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
His athleticism is underwhelming at this point, which is likely due to his repaired hips, but he's doing well with initial saves and rebound control. I'm not nearly as nervous seeing shots at net with him in there versus when Johnson is in there. I don't want them to overburden him too soon though, given how he's ahead of the original surgery timetable right now. It will also be interesting to see what opponents put together on him as he sees more game action.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He’s quietly had a pretty great season in his first as a full time nhler. The Sabres have only failed to get a point in one game he’s started. 8-1-3. .922 save percentage. 40 saves last night for his second shutout of the season. Will be interesting to see if he starts getting more play in the second half.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He’s quietly had a pretty great season in his first as a full time nhler. The Sabres have only failed to get a point in one game he’s started. 8-1-3. .922 save percentage. 40 saves last night for his second shutout of the season. Will be interesting to see if he starts getting more play in the second half.
To add: he leads all rookie goalies in GAA, Sv%, wins, & shutouts.

Reactions: Ace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad