G Linus Soderstrom - Djurgarden J20, SWE (2014, 95th, NYI)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The big Swedish goalie for Djurgardens Jrs 6'3 187 has risen from mid -term Central Scouting euro goalie ranking from 6th to being now 3rd ranked on their Final Ranking of the euro goalies. .bit he is one of the babies of this draft with a late August birthday.. So a lot of scouts eyes on him as the likely starting goalie for Sweden at the U-18 World Championships..if he shines there his stock could rise even more...not much was posted on him on these boards all year but he might be if not a steal...might be one of the best picks a team wanting to add pipeline goalie depth could make in this draft..certainly given his very young age. ..the #2 euro goalie is almost a year older and the #1 goalie ranked in Europe is even older as he was bypassed in last year's draft...Johansson and Husso the #2 and #1 ranked eurogoalies are also fine goalie prospects but again given the even younger age of Soderstrom his development upside could be really great and with another year of experience and games maybe he will be even better than they are at this stage.. Just a very intriguing prospect and I think "riser"..Anyway..if he shines at the U-18 I wonder how high his stock might rise..Right now probably a third rounder. ..but maybe he rises to a second rounder..If he really shines. .perhaps a team might even risk on him late first if they are looking for goalies for the pipeline and believe his.potential is even higher than Johansson or Husso.. Now Johansson has risen in many scouts estimation over the course of this year..and Husso has been terrific in Finland..but Husso has also not been good when given international tournament opportunities.. and so perhaps some question about cracking under that kind of pressure and spotlight..I am just wondering if Soderstrom shines in this pressure cookeryof U-18 Championships then the "kid" might even go ahead.of the 2 higher raked older goalies.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
The big Swedish goalie for Djurgardens Jrs 6'3 187 has risen from mid -term Central Scouting euro goalie ranking from 6th to being now 3rd ranked on their Final Ranking of the euro goalies. .bit he is one of the babies of this draft with a late August birthday.. So a lot of scouts eyes on him as the likely starting goalie for Sweden at the U-18 World Championships..if he shines there his stock could rise even more...not much was posted on him on these boards all year but he might be if not a steal...might be one of the best picks a team wanting to add pipeline goalie depth could make in this draft..certainly given his very young age. ..the #2 euro goalie is almost a year older and the #1 goalie ranked in Europe is even older as he was bypassed in last year's draft...Johansson and Husso the #2 and #1 ranked eurogoalies are also fine goalie prospects but again given the even younger age of Soderstrom his development upside could be really great and with another year of experience and games maybe he will be even better than they are at this stage.. Just a very intriguing prospect and I think "riser"..Anyway..if he shines at the U-18 I wonder how high his stock might rise..Right now probably a third rounder. ..but maybe he rises to a second rounder..If he really shines. .perhaps a team might even risk on him late first if they are looking for goalies for the pipeline and believe his.potential is even higher than Johansson or Husso.. Now Johansson has risen in many scouts estimation over the course of this year..and Husso has been terrific in Finland..but Husso has also not been good when given international tournament opportunities.. and so perhaps some question about cracking under that kind of pressure and spotlight..I am just wondering if Soderstrom shines in this pressure cookeryof U-18 Championships then the "kid" might even go ahead.of the 2 higher raked older goalies.

I think Markus Olsson will be the starter for Sweden in u18-WJC though..

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
LOL, so I guess this one hasn't been getting many updates, but he just signed a 3 year ELC. Been playing well in Sweden!

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Nice to get him over to NA..wanna see him on the smaller surface and the different type of game played here.

Seems like he had a nice career in Sweden so cautiously optimistic his game will translate over here as well.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
If I have to take a guess the deal he signed is an NHL or bust(ie back to Sweden) contract next season

ya that's what Im kind of thinking. Id imagine he will be back in Sweden next year, but its unreal to have him signed

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The guy has the quietest movement in and around the crease I ever saw in my life. You watch him and you wonder if he would be quick enough in the NHL since the play moves faster. I guess we will eventually find out. But he's the least noisy goalie I've seen maybe ever.

Reactions: feffan

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
Wasn't this guy a monster in the wjc a year ago?

He was. I said it in another thread, best performance i've seen by a swedish goalie at the WJC stage without a doubt. He was flawless. Made me pissed off watching the rest of the team letting him down big time because the guy was playing lights out giving his team a chance to win. I was heartbroken listening to his interview after the game. He deserved much better.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Read between the lines and you can guess why he chose to sign now. Gotta be frustrating to put up the numbers he did and still be considered the consensus #2 goalie prospect in the Isles system behind Ilya Sorokin.

This essentially gives him first crack to establish himself in North America. Greiss will hold down the fort the next couple years but after that it's wide open.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Islanders have Halak, Greiss, Berube, Soderstrom, Sorokin. Do they know that theres only 1 goalie who can play at once?

This team has so many problems, they should be trading Sorokin to Oilers, Devils, Leafs RIGHT NOW!

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders have Halak, Greiss, Berube, Soderstrom, Sorokin. Do they know that theres only 1 goalie who can play at once?

This team has so many problems, they should be trading Sorokin to Oilers, Devils, Leafs RIGHT NOW!

Halak has 1 year remaining on his deal and Berube is a UFA this summer

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Berube is a FA
Soderstrom in Sweden
Sorokin in Russia
Halak a FA next summer

That leaves a Griess/Halak tandem for 2017/2018. No issues here other than snow is still the GM.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The guy has the quietest movement in and around the crease I ever saw in my life. You watch him and you wonder if he would be quick enough in the NHL since the play moves faster. I guess we will eventually find out. But he's the least noisy goalie I've seen maybe ever.

Perhaps the most interesting analysis of a player I've ever read.

Reactions: feffan

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

www.capfriendly.com
> teams > new york islanders > goaltenders > jean-francois berube > 2017-2018 > ufa

and

NYI's beat writer Arthur Staple has already said that Soderstrom is still likely to play in Sweden next year.

and

Ilya Sorokin still has one year left on his deal in the KHL

:teach:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

This post can't be serious.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This post can't be serious.

I think it is a serious post.

But he probably just doesn't know that NHL teams have minor affiliated teams that they need goaltenders for and prospect pools to plan for the future of the team :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad