G Laurent Brossoit (2011, 164th, CGY; traded to EDM)

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
Kid is ridiculous. Two consecutive CHL goalie of the week awards, >.95 sv%, and has been especially good during this series with Moose Jaw - the second game should have been easily 6-4 or 6-5 had it not been for Brossoit's play, and he came up big multiple times in the third game. Some of the regular season success looks like it had to do partly with the great Oil Kings' Defence, but he's been a shining star in the playoffs.

Though I hate to say it, it looks like the Flames have themselves a real gem with him, especially for a 6th round selection.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Big fan. Has been better this year than anybody would have expected. Kid's a great player and definitely has the potential to be solid #1 NHL goalie.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
It's nice to see him doing well, but it's always tough to predict how a goalie will develop. The one thing I do love about him (from what little I've seen of him) is that he isn't a 'blocking goalie.' He tracks the puck and reacts to make the save. Very athletic goaltender.

6500690.bin

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I hate to admit it but the Flames definitely have a solid prospect here. Doesnt matter how good the team is in front of him that sv% is unreal. He's still facing almost 30 shots a game with a 9.49sv%

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
What kind of style does he play or compare to?

He's athletic, a reflex goalie, imo, although technically sound, generally speaking. His major "weakness" seems to be that he loses focus of the game at times, but that's not atypical of young goalies.

Gary83*

Between the pipes is easily Calgary's biggest strength with Irving, Ramo, Brossoit, Ortio and potentially Taylor who has been putting up nice numbers with the Heat this year. Calgary will have a pretty nice problem and luxury when it comes to finding a replacement for Kipper.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Kid is ridiculous. Two consecutive CHL goalie of the week awards, >.95 sv%, and has been especially good during this series with Moose Jaw - the second game should have been easily 6-4 or 6-5 had it not been for Brossoit's play, and he came up big multiple times in the third game. Some of the regular season success looks like it had to do partly with the great Oil Kings' Defence, but he's been a shining star in the playoffs.

Though I hate to say it, it looks like the Flames have themselves a real gem with him, especially for a 6th round selection.

It's always tough to tell with goalies. A guy who looks awesome in junior can fade pretty quickly in the pros. Still, Brossoit is playing very well right now - hopefully he can maintain it.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
The Flames have been doing really well with later picks from the WHL lately (Brossoit, Ferland, Holland).

The scouting on other areas is still lacking though, although the recent drafting of Bill Arnold and John Gaudreau, and that they`ve shown interest in NCAA FAs (unlike the previous regime) indicates that they`re maybe getting a bit better south of the border.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames have been doing really well with later picks from the WHL lately (Brossoit, Ferland, Holland).

The scouting on other areas is still lacking though, although the recent drafting of Bill Arnold and John Gaudreau, and that they`ve shown interest in NCAA FAs (unlike the previous regime) indicates that they`re maybe getting a bit better south of the border.

They've also got Ramage in the NCAA - looks like he could be a solid 4-6 stay-at-home type in the long run.

But you're right - it seems like most of their picks are from the WHL and NCAA. They did take Granlund from Europe last year and he's had a solid year as well. And they did pick Erixon in the 1st a couple of years ago (although we all know how that turned out).

Gary83*

I feel like the biggest problem is that age gap group. Flames have good roster players around 30 and above. They have some nice prospects that I think will be NHL'ers, Arnold, Reinhart, Baertschi, Nemisz, Bouma, etc. Leach, Wotherspoon, Ramage on D.

What they seem to be missing is that age gap of 22-27, I think that's sort of what they plan to use the college FA signings for.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
The one I'll say about him is that he doesn't give up a lot if rebounds and his defense clear out any ones he does, so there are no second chances. He also doesn't really give up bad goals. The goals he does give up are usually the rare second/3rd chances that he and the defense let the other team have. From my viewings of the oil kings the other teams never win games so much as the oil kings lose them.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Laurent Brossoit

This kid deserves his own thread. Was the highest drafted goalie out of the WHL in the 2011 NHL Draft, a 6th round choice of the Calgary Flames. He backboned the Edmonton Oil Kings to a WHL title this season and was just nominated as the CHL goalie of the week.

This kid is going to need to keep up his strong play heading into the biggest junior tournament in the world, the 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup. To me, he's the top goalie in the event, with Michael Houser being the only guy close in that area.

Not only all of that, but he is now firmly entrenched on the Hockey Canada radar, with him being a potential candidate to start in the World Juniors.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he was also named WHL Playoff MVP last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad