Confirmed with Link: G Justin Peters signed (two-years, $950k per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@AdamVingan: The #Caps will sign UFA goaltender Justin Peters, according to his agent.

@alex_prewitt: Two-year deal for Justin Peters to the Capitals.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Quick, someone tell me to be happy or outraged.

Based on his play last December, be ecstatic.

Based on his play outside of last December, be outraged.

To be fair, he never smelled the net last season when at least one of Ward and Khudobin was healthy, so it's hard to say if last December was a flash in the pan or if he finally turned a corner.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Project for Korn, Holtby will probably get almost all of the starts.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would think that Korn would have a book on most NHL goalies and most likely did research on the available goalies, watching videos etc., so that the organization was comfortable in going after Peters with Korn's concurrence.

BeauportHarfangs

May 14, 2013
Northern Virginia
A bit surprised by this. I view this as a vote of confidence in Holtby, and Peters should prove to be a great #2 goalie. Given Caps history though, i am a bit afraid of this turning into a weak 1a/1b if Holtby struggles. Or worse 1a/1b/1c with Grubauer.

Having Orpik onboard should help any/all Caps goalies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
He always played great against the Caps, so you have a stud for all your intrasquad scrimmages.

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
Peters competes hard and is a good team player. That said, I hope your new defense is good at clearing rebounds. Smothering pucks is not one of his strengths.

bluedevil58*

Canes fan here:

The guy seems to get better the more games that he plays. There was a point last season where 2 of the Canes goalies went down and you knew that if the Canes scored 2 goals then they would win the game with Peters in net.

Past that, his play was very inconsistent when he was not in a rhythm of constantly playing. He is an OK backup.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
most players that get to play one out of every 5 to 10 games tend to be inconstistant. that holds true in any sport.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
most players that get to play one out of every 5 to 10 games tend to be inconstistant. that holds true in any sport.

True enough, but there are certain positions where the mental aspect is so key and the guys that learn to stay mentally sharp do well in that roll. A closer in baseball may not get in a game for 5 straight games, but has to come in on moments notice and be sharp. That's similar to a back-up goalie IMO. Unless there is a major injury, he HAS to be mentally sharp on a moments notice or he will fail.

Peters wasn't just inconsistent when in strictly a traditional back-up role, he was downright terrible. But as BD said, when given a string of starts in row, he was more than serviceable. If he can figure out how to stay mentally sharp in strictly a traditional back-up role, he'll be a good back-up for you guys. He's probably grown/matured as a player in the past couple of years also.

Of course, it didn't help that the Canes have traditionally had a dumpster fire for a defense. They weren't a good enough team to overcome sub-par goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad