G Jesper Wallstedt (2021, 20th, MIN)

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
It's probably never going to happen again though. Goalies just aren't that valuable compared to other positions.
I hear what you're saying. I'd argue goalies are valuable, but less projectable.

But with 2021 a bit muddled at top, it seems like as good a time as any to consider a goalie early.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I hear what you're saying. I'd argue goalies are valuable, but less projectable.

But with 2021 a bit muddled at top, it seems like as good a time as any to consider a goalie early.

What? A goalie is the most important position in the game...

There is some muddiness in the 2021 draft but Jesper would need to have a season for the ages in order for him to go #1.

Like we are talking lead his team to a SHL Championship, Hlinka Champ and WJC Champ. With some MVP nods thrown in there. And even then teams would be bullish taking a goalie with the #1 pick. They are just to unpredictable and usually take a lot more time to develop.

Even with that being said. There may be no clear cut choice for #1 overall in 2021 right now but there is really no shortage of good player who could have great seasons next year to push. Guys like Clarke, Power, Raty, Guenther, Lucius, Pastujov, Stankoven, Roy, MacTavish, Rosen, Lysell, Othmann, Hughes, Chayka, Lambos, Bourgault, Duke, Robidas, Stillman, Stringer. The list goes on. There is a lot of talent in 2021 it's just no one has really cemented themselves as a clear cut #1 right now.

Reactions: Favin

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Nobody is debating that. That is, however, the least value position at the draft because:

1) Goalies are easy and relatively cheap to get both by trade and in the free market as opposed to #1 Ds or Cs who hit the UFA market once in blue moon (still impossible to get then if you aren't attractive market) and are virtually impossible to trade for.
2) There is a negligible difference between the top-end goalie and the average one compared to the top-end center and an average one.
3) Goalies are harder to project at a young age, you can always end up with another Jack Campbell.
4) Average draft position of the NHL starting goalie, even somewhat recently - discounting Rinnes and Lunqvists that would skew numbers even more - is ~#70. So there is a huge chance you could have had basically the same performance by investing 1-3 mid-round picks (depending on your luck and other factors) as you have with #1 pick. While legitimate #1 centers drafted outside of the first round could probably be counted on one hand.

So, to conclude, it doesn't matter how important the goalie position is. It's about the cost-effectiveness of the pick.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
There may be no clear cut choice for #1 overall in 2021 right now but there is really no shortage of good player who could have great seasons next year to push. Guys like Clarke, Power, Raty, Guenther, Lucius, Pastujov, Stankoven, Roy, MacTavish, Rosen, Lysell, Othmann, Hughes, Chayka, Lambos, Bourgault, Duke, Robidas, Stillman, Stringer. The list goes on. There is a lot of talent in 2021 it's just no one has really cemented themselves as a clear cut #1 right now.

Agree with your comment, Daximus. This was my point...if there are 20 guys that are in the top group to be considered #1, wouldn't Wallstedt deserve a look to be in that tier? I am not advocating picking a goalie at #1...but I am saying he ought to be talked about among those you listed.

3) Goalies are harder to project at a young age

I think this is what holds them back the most.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

They are also voodoo.

Fleury 1st overall
Price 5th overall
Rask 21st overall
Jarry 2nd round
Markstrom 2nd round
Vasilevsky 2nd round
Crawford 2nd round
Blackwood 2nd round
Binnington 3rd round
Bishop 3rd round
Grubauer 4th round
Hellebuyck 5th round
Ullmark 6th round
Andersen 7th round
Raanta undrafted

You can find goalies all throughout the draft. Of the goalie 1st overall, only Fleury was worth it, though you can argue Eric Staal is a better player (not to Pitt though with all their C). You don't need to get 1st overall to get a franchise goalie and most often than not, they will actually be drafted in later rounds.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
They are also voodoo.

Fleury 1st overall
Price 5th overall
Rask 21st overall
Jarry 2nd round
Markstrom 2nd round
Vasilevsky 2nd round
Crawford 2nd round
Blackwood 2nd round
Binnington 3rd round
Bishop 3rd round
Grubauer 4th round
Hellebuyck 5th round
Ullmark 6th round
Andersen 7th round
Raanta undrafted

You can find goalies all throughout the draft. Of the goalie 1st overall, only Fleury was worth it, though you can argue Eric Staal is a better player (not to Pitt though with all their C). You don't need to get 1st overall to get a franchise goalie and most often than not, they will actually be drafted in later rounds.
Vasy was a late first.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'm not a fan of taking goaltenders high, but I will say Wallstedt has impressed me more than any other goaltending prospect before their draft, hell its not even his draft year. His positioning is great, and he always finds a way to be where the puck is heading. He's pretty smart when making split second choices on saves which I love, and I like his ability to shut down rebounds.

Once again, I am not a fan of taking a goalie high, but Wallstedt could be a very tempting pick in next year's draft.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
With Askarov being a mid 1st round pick, if Wallstedt has a great SHL season, there is no doubt he will also be ranked a middle 1st round pick. Maybe he will get invited to the WJC-20 aswell. He has all the tools to be a great goalie. Great size and ability all in one package.

Reactions: Dr Salt

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Lassinanti has signed with Sochi, which is good news for Jesper. Exciting to see if he can handle a full-time job in the SHL.

SCampo98

Dec 24, 2015
Sherbrooke, QC
Is he considered to be as good a prospect as he was 2-3 years ago? I haven’t read up on him much since then but it seems like he’s on a similar track.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Is he considered to be as good a prospect as he was 2-3 years ago? I haven’t read up on him much since then but it seems like he’s on a similar track.

I would say he is on a similar track. Good year in junior and it's pretty rare for a U18 goalie to be a starter in U20 and even more rare for a U19 goalie to be occupying one of two spots in the SHL, let alone for a top team like he's projected to do next season. They're looking for a Hugo Alnefelt type year for him with SHL games and World Juniors and you can't really ask for much more for a goalie prospect at that age. Of course, if he's a prospect for the absolute top of the drafts or not will depend on how he handles these opportunities.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Had a good gamein a 3-2 shootout loss, stats doesn't show it though(18 saves on 20 shots).

Last edited:

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad