G Jackson Whistle - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2013 undrafted)

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Whistle a young Kelowna Rockets Keeper. This kid as amazing stats for at such a young age. So far he manage to maintain 1.20 GAA with .955 save % while receiving 177 shot and letting in 8 gaols in 7 games in WHL. So is he that good or is that team that good defensively? If he is that good then why haven't heard of him?

Can anyone let me in where he fits in the ranking?? By what I can put together, He deserve a top 90 pick. Am I wrong ?

Also last year he played in 21 games and had horrible stats but he was only 15 turning 16.

Last edited:

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Jackson Whistle a young Kelowna Rockets Keeper. This kid as amazing stats for at such a young age. So far he manage to maintain 1.20 GAA with .955 save % while receiving 177 shot and letting in 8 gaols in 7 games in WHL. So is he that good or is that team that good defensively? If he is that good then why haven't heard of him?

Can anyone let me in where he fits in the ranking?? By what I can put together, I deserve a top 90 pick. Am I wrong ?

Also last year he played in 21 games and had horrible stats but he was only 15 turning 16.

Interesting...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's in that 2nd-3rd tier of WHL goalies for this draft along with guys like Jarry, Lotz...who are all a step (or more) behind Comrie.

Stats are only part of it, but he's definitely a kid to continue to watch at this point.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Good kid, very focused. Needs to get more games but is certainly making the most of the opportunities he has been given so far this year.

Oct 15, 2008
I havent seen much of him but what I have seen has left an impression.

I also think some of these young goalies are underrated. Whistle and Jarry being two of them. Honestly I keep asking myself why Jarry shouldnt be starting over Brossoit and I cant honestly find a good answer for that question.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I havent seen much of him but what I have seen has left an impression.

I also think some of these young goalies are underrated. Whistle and Jarry being two of them. Honestly I keep asking myself why Jarry shouldnt be starting over Brossoit and I cant honestly find a good answer for that question.

You have to look at the games that Jarry has done well in(not that I haven't been dissapointed with Brossoit this year, but I also thought he was over hyped last year) Jarry has played 9 total games and 4 of those games came against the 3 worst teams in the whl, he had 2 terrible games against P.A the third best team in the league, and had 2 great games against middle teams and another solid game.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Jackson Whistle G - Kelowna Rockets

Can anyone tell me about this kid? Has had pretty decent numbers but went in drafted in his draft year.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
watched a few Kelowna games recently and he doesn't stand out as a strong goalie in the CHL, he maybe slightly above average for a WHL starter but not really anything there that says he's going to be a strong goaltender or a good use of a draft pick at this point in time.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
watched a few Kelowna games recently and he doesn't stand out as a strong goalie in the CHL, he maybe slightly above average for a WHL starter but not really anything there that says he's going to be a strong goaltender or a good use of a draft pick at this point in time.

This. Doesn't strike me as much of a prospect.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Fair enough. Just looking over the numbers and they're not terrible, just wanted to get the skinny. Thanks guys.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Solid enough WHL goalie but is a bit of a dog's breakfast technically and I don't know if he's really much of a pro prospect.

In terms of WHL goalies who have been previously been passed over, Landon Bow of Swift Current is the guy to watch, and might be the best goalie in the league this year. Will probably be the first WHL goalie drafted in a poor year for the position for the league in which I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't a single first-time eligible guy selected.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Solid enough WHL goalie but is a bit of a dog's breakfast technically and I don't know if he's really much of a pro prospect.

In terms of WHL goalies who have been previously been passed over, Landon Bow of Swift Current is the guy to watch, and might be the best goalie in the league this year. Will probably be the first WHL goalie drafted in a poor year for the position for the league in which I wouldn't be shocked if there wasn't a single first-time eligible guy selected.

I would definitely take McBride over Bow. Papirny too, probably.

Agree on Whistle though, not sure he's worth a look draft-wise. He is on NHL radars though, earning an invite to the Penticton tournament this fall.

Belamorte

Feed Your Head
Nov 14, 2003
North American Scum
He is a product of the system (not saying he is bad by any means), but he is like every other goalie Kelowna has had. Look at the D-men that the Rockets have put in the NHL and look at the goalies (Kelly Guards numbers are amazing, I would compare him with Whistle). The goalies in Kelowna and tend to have great numbers but they are part of a system.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I LOVE watching this kid play, Tim Thomas sort of craziness almost every game! :laugh:

He is a good goaler and his athleticism is at NHL level, BUT I understand why he hasn't been drafted. He is quite small concerning NHL size so he has to come out of his crease a lot to cut down the game, fortunately he has speed to this, but another concern is that he overplays A LOT OF SHOTS. Almost very potential chance is perhaps caused by his over-aggressiveness (the same problem Tim Thomas had as well during NCAA). There is a big difference between him and Calvin Pickard, because Pickard himself suffered from being small in juniors and had to come out a lot.....though Pickard had an NHL level brain in terms of the exact position he needed to be without giving up anything extra.

A NHL or AHL spot is not out of the question, but like Tim Thomas, from my viewings...he needs to read the game better and mature with his playing style. He might never get this, but there is a chance he might in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad