G Jack LaFontaine - Univ. of Minnesota, NCAA (2016, 75th, CAR)

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Thought I'd make a thread for him as he is picking up steam quickly.

This guy is a huge sleeper in the draft. He is a technically sound goalie and has great athleticism. He tracks the puck well, and makes himself look big in the crease. He doesn't overcommit and has nice rebound control. There is no doubt in my mind that he is a 2nd round talent at this state in his career.

It is currently unknown whether he is going the NCAA or OHL route, but Kitchener has a lot in the pipeline in goal, so I don't know how likely that is.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
One post ever for this guy. Looks like he might be the Gophers' new goalie for next year, especially if Jared Moe is out a while with a recent injury.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Played 25 games to Moe's 16 but hard to get a read on how successful his season was.

Interesting that Lavigne, who handled the bulk of the goaltending at Michigan when both were sophomores, was displaced by Strauss Mann as a starter for the Wolverines.

LaFontaine has one more year of eligibility for Minnesota and there is no indication that he is looking to sign a contract this summer.

Purely conjecture but it's hard to think he still fits into the Carolina system with the other goalies that were drafted or signed since he was drafted.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Played 25 games to Moe's 16 but hard to get a read on how successful his season was.

Interesting that Lavigne, who handled the bulk of the goaltending at Michigan when both were sophomores, was displaced by Strauss Mann as a starter for the Wolverines.

LaFontaine has one more year of eligibility for Minnesota and there is no indication that he is looking to sign a contract this summer.

Purely conjecture but it's hard to think he still fits into the Carolina system with the other goalies that were drafted or signed since he was drafted.

He was pretty solid this year, not quite at Mat Robson's level from the previous few years but not far off. Not sure I see him as much more than a AHLer down the line though.

Mar 12, 2009
kind of a weird path, he went to Michigan in part because it looked like he'd have to wait to get a chance at the starters roll in Kitchener. In hindsight, he would have had a chance much quicker than expected, and instead ended up displaced at Michigan and spending what would of been his OHL OA season in the BCHL while transfering schools.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Because Mann is a stud

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Because Mann is a stud

Interesting. Because he wasn't drafted out of either Brunswick School or Fargo and was so-so as a freshman at Michigan.

Will be interesting to see how his pro career goes. Remember Nagelvoort being drafted following his freshman year but then never matching that level in the ensuing three years and ultimately never signing an ELC.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
It’s unfortunate to see how he’s struggled in college, he’s a really good kid.
We (the program I worked for at the time) had him lined up to play for us at 17 (he accelerated his schooling) and then he got offers from Harvard and Michigan and obviously took the offer from Michigan.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Unreal numbers to start the year this season. For anyone who has seen the Gophers, how much is him and how much is the team in front of him?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A combination of both. He has been excellent, but I can't recall a Gophers team this deep and sound.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anyone watch Gophers hockey? If so what’s the scouting report on Laf? He’s been insanely hot to start the season.

8 games, 8 wins, 1.00 GAA, .965 sv%

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
He looks solid. Really quiet in the net. Positioning is good. Made some really nice saves. Only thing I don’t like so far is his puck handling; makes poor decisions with the puck.

Reactions: DaveG

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know if he is just lucky, but he is ridiculously good at making saves and freezing the puck in goalmouth scrambles.

With the Gophers losing their top 3 Dmen to the WJC, he will be tested more in weeks to come. He has faced a fair amount of shots so far, but I would say that most of them aren't that dangerous, and the D has been doing a good job of protecting him.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't know if he is just lucky, but he is ridiculously good at making saves and freezing the puck in goalmouth scrambles.

With the Gophers losing their top 3 Dmen to the WJC, he will be tested more in weeks to come. He has faced a fair amount of shots so far, but I would say that most of them aren't that dangerous, and the D has been doing a good job of protecting him.

I don't think there are any more games the rest of the calendar year. The Gophers should have back the top 3 defenseman the next time they play.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Oof. What do I do for a hockey fix now? Watching WI is painful, and the NCHC makes you pay.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Back-to-back wins and a 34-save shutout against his former team - admittedly the Wolverines were missing five players - not a bad way to finish the first part of the season.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad