Value of: G. Ilya Sorokin

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I don’t see any way Lehner signing affects Sorokin’s future here. In Lehner’s best year - last year - he still essentially split time as a 1A. Greiss has one year left which just happens to be when Sorokin’s KHL contract ends.

Unless Bob signs here, I doubt any goalie will change the fact that Sorokin is NYI’s future in net.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I don’t see any way Lehner signing affects Sorokin’s future here. In Lehner’s best year - last year - he still essentially split time as a 1A. Greiss has one year left which just happens to be when Sorokin’s KHL contract ends.

Unless Bob signs here, I doubt any goalie will change the fact that Sorokin is NYI’s future in net.

Lehner is going to sign as a #1 somewhere (4-6 years for 5+m). From where I stand, it looks like a one or the other situation. If the Isles bring back Lehner at that contract, how do you work Sorokin in?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

The isles are very experienced in the 3 goalie system

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Lehner is going to sign as a #1 somewhere (4-6 years for 5+m). From where I stand, it looks like a one or the other situation. If the Isles bring back Lehner at that contract, how do you work Sorokin in?

It’s pretty simple - you bring him over and give him Greiss’s games. If he outshines Lehner you shift their roles. Lehner will still be getting enough starts to warrant his contract. If it’s 4 years total that’s 3 years once Sorokin makes the jump. It can be one exclusively as a backup, one as a 1B, and - hopefully if he pans out as expected - the final year where Sorokin takes over as the #1.

I have a difficult time seeing Lehner turning down 4 years coming off a 1-year “show-me” deal. IMO it won’t be too difficult to make it work.

SI

Feb 16, 2013

You have to think about expansion draft too.

Greiss (35-40 games) and Lehner (40+ games) next year

You can ease Sorokin into taking over as #1

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Unproven prospect goalies really do not carry much value. It makes very little sense to trade him. The return would be very unflattering.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe a 3rd?

Sorry but unproven goalies have almost no value, esp one that may never even come to NA. If the Rangers were to try and trade Georgiev right now who had a good rookie season even he would fetch almost nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad