G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Decided to post some stretching routines by Sorokin. Because there's not much to post these days anyway.

923948224.jpg.0.jpg

Dmk3_27XoAE1pG-

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
So weird to look back at the first pages of this thread in 2015 when we were getting excited about him. 5 years later and it's finally happening....actually will probably be closer to 6 years by the time we see him play meaningful games.

Being an Isles fan is so much fun. We can't sign players and have trouble keeping our own players from leaving. It's at the point where we celebrate when one of our prospects signs. Meanwhile on UFA signing day 2019 my Ranger fan buddy was like "oh...Panarin...good signing....".

It's tough out here on the streets.

Reactions: SI90 and Riseonfire

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So weird to look back at the first pages of this thread in 2015 when we were getting excited about him. 5 years later and it's finally happening....actually will probably be closer to 6 years by the time we see him play meaningful games.

Being an Isles fan is so much fun. We can't sign players and have trouble keeping our own players from leaving. It's at the point where we celebrate when one of our prospects signs. Meanwhile on UFA signing day 2019 my Ranger fan buddy was like "oh...Panarin...good signing....".

It's tough out here on the streets.

The guy who started this thread has been following him closely since he was drafted and was over the moon when he finally signed! Been a long time coming.

Reactions: blinkman360

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Can anyone see him grabbing more starts from Varly?

Not with his play thus far. Varlamov is a superior NHL goalie today. That is of course, subject to change as Sorokin adapts to the NHL.

I'd say the only areas Sorokin is better than Varlamov at are puck handling and athleticism. Mitch Korn has his work cut out for him as Sorokins timing and positioning are not conducive to even having a low .900 sv% int he league.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Not with his play thus far. Varlamov is a superior NHL goalie today. That is of course, subject to change as Sorokin adapts to the NHL.

I'd say the only areas Sorokin is better than Varlamov at are puck handling and athleticism. Mitch Korn has his work cut out for him as Sorokins timing and positioning are not conducive to even having a low .900 sv% int he league.
I think it is more about adapting to a new league. Sorokin is no teenager.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Time to talk a bit about this guy. After losing his first three games in the NHL, he won his last seven. He let in 10 goals in that 7 games span, that's ridiculus.

overall he now has a 1,97 GAA and ,922

1- at what times does the Islanders decide to ride with him instead of Varlamov as a no. 1 ?
2- at what times do we consider him for the Calder trophy ahead of Lankinen, Kaakonen and Nedeljkovic?

Reactions: SI90

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Time to talk a bit about this guy. After losing his first three games in the NHL, he won his last seven. He let in 10 goals in that 7 games span, that's ridiculus.

1- at what times does the Islanders decide to ride with him instead of Varlamov as a no. 1 ?
2- at what times do we consider him for the Calder trophy ahead of Lankinen, Kaakonen and Nedeljkovic?
He was shaky early on in the season but has really settled in lately. Very quick agile goalie. Needs to work on rebound control but made some great saves tonight.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

* he has won 8 straight

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Lankinen is no longer belongs in this conversation.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Lankinen is no longer belongs in this conversation.
He is still a starter with solid numbers and a winning record on a pretty terrible/injury battered team. How does he not belong?

Regarding Sorokin, it's just business as usual. He stayed in the KHL long enough to make sure he is an NHL goalie, arguably NHL starting goalie immediately after moving to NA and the Islanders are one of the best teams for any goalie to play on.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Sorokin has been steady for a while now, but I think last night was the first time NYI fans got a taste of Sorokin's somewhat freaskish athletic ability. He reminded me a little bit of a young Nabokov, who also had freakish athleticism until he had to play 70+ games per year.

I think he's going to get more games than he got early in the year to keep both goalies fresh. It could be an interesting story who will get playoff starts assuming (which seems likely) NYI make the playoffs.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
He is still a starter with solid numbers and a winning record on a pretty terrible/injury battered team. How does he not belong?

Regarding Sorokin, it's just business as usual. He stayed in the KHL long enough to make sure he is an NHL goalie, arguably NHL starting goalie immediately after moving to NA and the Islanders are one of the best teams for any goalie to play on.

Because he's now miles behind Kahkonen, Sorokin, and Ned. He wouldn't get a nom if there were zero skaters.

But I'll stop derailing the Sorokin conversation now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad