G Ilya Sorokin (2014, 78th, NYI)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So basically it sounds like he isn't coming over for next year but possibly the year after that in 2020.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
So basically it sounds like he isn't coming over for next year but possibly the year after that in 2020.
That’s fine that will only put him at 25 years old which is when a lot of goalies break into the league anyway as long as he actually does come over I mean

Reactions: DJB

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's having his best season in the last three seasons. He's at .940, which wouldn't be his career high, but reaching .953 again is unrealistic, and .940 is plenty good.

The question I have for those who've watched him play extensively this season is how his positioning looks. I've always felt like thats what he's going to need to work on. He's not crazy raw, like Samsonov, but in recent years he's had big positioning problems that I think have kept him from playing better than he's capable of. The Russian National Team goalie coach also criticized the technical coaching he was getting at CSKA in recent years, so I don't know if thats improved or not.

I've only seen him play once this season, and he played really well. Positioning looked better, but I can't judge entirely on one game if he's improved his positioning.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's having his best season in the last three seasons. He's at .940, which wouldn't be his career high, but reaching .953 again is unrealistic, and .940 is plenty good.

The question I have for those who've watched him play extensively this season is how his positioning looks. I've always felt like thats what he's going to need to work on. He's not crazy raw, like Samsonov, but in recent years he's had big positioning problems that I think have kept him from playing better than he's capable of. The Russian National Team goalie coach also criticized the technical coaching he was getting at CSKA in recent years, so I don't know if thats improved or not.

I've only seen him play once this season, and he played really well. Positioning looked better, but I can't judge entirely on one game if he's improved his positioning.

I have not seen him play in the KHL other than the viewing of highlights, but one thing about him is he has raw talent. And with Mitch Korn with the Isles now. I would be surprised if Korn is not consulting him on positioning and what to expect in the NHL. This is why I am very high, if not already expecting he will be the Isles #1G in the future very soon. Isles have quite a few Goaltending prospects. But I believe Sorokin is their Goalie of the future.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
the time is here

One thing about Lamoriello with his Russian connections with experiences with Fetisov, and Kovy. I believe if he wants Sorokin, he will find a way to get him out his KHL contract. One can call it Lou's loopholes. But money is often the sweetner in these type of transactions. This Isles ownership group are not shy of spending money to improve the franchise.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Hope he comes over when Igor does.

Igor vs Ilya
Krav vs Wahlstrom
Miller vs Dobson

would be sick for the rivalry if all 6 make it. Of course I hope none of the Isles 3 make it lol

Reactions: sebsisles

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Of those three comparisons, I think I'd take the Ranger in two of the three, but the Isles have a lot more depth in their prospect pool, they have a 1C and they have one of the best coaches in the NHL.

The Isles are certainly ahead for now.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Of those three comparisons, I think I'd take the Ranger in two of the three, but the Isles have a lot more depth in their prospect pool, they have a 1C and they have one of the best coaches in the NHL.

The Isles are certainly ahead for now.

Rangers just started rebuilding and committing to getting younger. They’re off too a good start with some of their picks from trading off McD Miller and Nash.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
And, according to sources, Sorokin is still interested in coming over when CSKA’s season is done.
When we reported this in December there was some understandable pushback from reporters based in Russia — Sorokin is still KHL property and that league is pretty reluctant to let its elite players bolt for the NHL. Two North American sources say that there is no buyout window for a player to initiate such a move, only that it must be done before the end of the league year.

Sorokin’s North American agent, Paul Theofanous, was seen at the Islanders practice facility earlier this week after presumably meeting with Lamoriello. Since they are still meeting to discuss Sorokin, it’s clear that there are no restrictions on the goalie buying out his deal. The only restriction is that Sorokin must be the one to do the buying out. The Islanders are forbidden to contribute and they can’t negotiate a contract until Sorokin’s KHL deal is done.

Reactions: dano16

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's really difficult to know what to make of this. If I had to choice to sign Lehner for 2 years and get Sorokin in the second year, I'd do that. If forced between signing Lehner for 4-5 years and an alternative, I seriously consider the alternative because i think that's too big a risk.

Lehner has been great, but he's basically split time with Greiss this season. I really worry about him getting #1 money over term.

But this is all speculation. I don't understand how it is possible that Sorokin would leave CSKA at the end of the year.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I think If you're the islanders... Greiss and Lehner offer you the same thing. A stop gap for Sorokin to take the reins. Either is fine, and you probably don't need both.

Reactions: benedictTavares

varano

Jun 27, 2013
One thing about Lamoriello with his Russian connections with experiences with Fetisov, and Kovy. I believe if he wants Sorokin, he will find a way to get him out his KHL contract. One can call it Lou's loopholes. But money is often the sweetner in these type of transactions. This Isles ownership group are not shy of spending money to improve the franchise.
Yes. Lou is greasy. He can get stuff done.

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It's really difficult to know what to make of this. If I had to choice to sign Lehner for 2 years and get Sorokin in the second year, I'd do that. If forced between signing Lehner for 4-5 years and an alternative, I seriously consider the alternative because i think that's too big a risk.

Lehner has been great, but he's basically split time with Greiss this season. I really worry about him getting #1 money over term.

I think I’d use the term “system goalie” in the least offensive way possible to describe what Lehner/Griess have been able to do. It’s clear they benefit from the way Trotz’ system is construced and how Korn/Greco work on their games to play within that system. I’d be weary of signing Lehner to 4+ years especially when Sorokin is clearly showing interest in coming to NA a year before his deal even expires.

But this is all speculation. I don't understand how it is possible that Sorokin would leave CSKA at the end of the year.

Well his NA agent was on LI to meet with Lamoriello, so unless that guy represents other Islanders with impending contracts, I’d say it’s more smoke than speculation (unless that is the same thing to some people).

He just has to buy out the last year of his contract, which he can do before the season “ends”.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Well his NA agent was on LI to meet with Lamoriello, so unless that guy represents other Islanders with impending contracts, I’d say it’s more smoke than speculation (unless that is the same thing to some people).

He just has to buy out the last year of his contract, which he can do before the season “ends”.

I agree there's smoke, but it's also possible that they are planing for the Fall of 2020 as opposed to the Fall of 2019.

At any rate, I'd be very happy with a Sorokin/Greiss combo. Sure it's a risk, but I think we agree that Lehner over 4+ is a really big risk.

Reactions: seafoam

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2