G Ilya Nabokov - Metallurg Magnitogorsk, KHL (2021 undrafted)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There has to be someone kicking themselves for not throwing a 6th or 7th rounder on him last year. Being older should not be too much of a detriment as a goaltender. Playoff MVP as a KHL Rookie, that's the kind of big game performer that someone has to take pretty high, size or not.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If your in the 20’s and you need a goalie, I don’t see why you wouldn’t draft him. He is the best goalie outside the NHL. You instantly gain a starter. So many busts in the late 1st anyway

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Bigger than Saros. *shrug*
Saros is an exception, not an example.

He went as high as he did in his draft year, as a first time eligible despite his size. If his height started with a 6 at the time, he would be have been undoubtedly a first round pick.

There’s a reason Nabokov went undrafted 3x over. He’ll get drafted, absolutely and he is by far the closest goalie in the draft from the NHL, but anyone throwing out comparisons like Evgenii Nabokov and Sheshterkin are out of their minds. He plays behind a fantastic system in the KHL, and won’t get that treatment in the NHL.

Bigger than Saros. *shrug*
Saros is an exception, not an example.

He went as high as he did in his draft year, as a first time eligible despite his size. If his height started with a 6 at the time, he would be have been undoubtedly a first round pick.

There’s a reason Nabokov went undrafted 3x over. He’ll get drafted, absolutely and he is by far the closest goalie in the draft from the NHL, but anyone throwing out comparisons like Evgenii Nabokov and Sheshterkin are out of their minds. He plays behind a fantastic system in the KHL, and won’t get that treatment in the NHL.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Looking at the dearth of good goaltending out there, I could see someone in the later 20's taking a shot here.

I personally agree with you. I will have him ranked 25-35 range. Will the teams agree? We’ll see…

He’s one of the more interesting case studies in the draft. The numbers are truly nutty, but GMs are size whores

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there's some middle ground with him.

Hes not as good as taking him in the first round that some people suggest. He wasn't the best goalie in the KHL this year. He was a good KHL goalie. He had a great playoffs. Vitaliy Kravtsov also had a great playoffs his draft year. If you judge too much on the playoffs, you can make mistakes.

But he's also a successful KHL goalie that elevated himself at the most important time of the year. His size is a relevant factor, but there are small goalies in the NHL. He's absolutely worth a flier and you'll know sooner than most if he'll reach the NHL. With this being a weak goalie draft, he could compete for first goalie off the board (similar to how Gajan did as an overager last year, although that was a better goalie draft and Gajan would be the consensus first goalie this year).

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
nmL7I9ldtBM.jpg

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
Quebec
There's added value for drafting a guy that will be in the line up in 1 year (after his contract expire). I think he gets pick in the 33-40 range. Any rebuilding team with a 2nd rounder should be interested in this guy.

I understand the Saros comparaison, but as a 2nd rounder you dont need to be a top 10 goalie to be a successful pick. If he gets 905% and play 30-35 games a year as a premium back-up, still worth it.

Jake Allen was worth a 3rd rounder and he has a higher cap hit, for being a 1D / 2A type of goalie (barely).

Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad