G Ian Scott - Prince Albert Raiders, WHL (2017, 110th, TOR)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Think it's time he starts getting a little attention as Scott along with Skinner and Dipietro are the big 3 goalie prospects coming out of the CHL for this draft. Has had a good start with a 921 sv% in his first 10 games and has the size teams want in goalies now a days at 6'3 168(WHL site has him at 6'4 169). Still has to fill out but good start to his draft year

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=257786

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I absolutely love this kid! I loved him last season and am so happy he's off to the start he is. He did so well that the Prince Albert Raiders traded away Rylan Parenteau to give Ian Scott more time in net. Canada has a great trio of goalies this draft with Stuart Skinner, Michael DiPietro and Ian Scott...soon you might be able to add Matthew Welsh to that list as well.

Back to Ian Scott though here is how he is doing so far: 3-5-1-0 record, 36.23 SA/60, 6 Quality Starts, 0.67 QS%, 0.929 Bounce Back SV%, and a 6.66 GSAA. Record is meaningless until you compare it to Scott's QS% which shows Scott is playing above his team's level. Ian Scott doesn't receive a whole lot of support from his defense either as he ranks 6th in SA/60. Scott also ranks 6th in the WHL for Quality Starts which is a good thing. Last but not least Ian Scott is 4th in the WHL for Goals Saved Above Average.

I believe scouts lean to Stuart Skinner more because of the previous seasons and his obvious talents. However Ian Scott is proving to have the kind of start you want to have. This year's crop of goalies is starting out very strong. If you want to draft a goalie this is definitely proving to be the draft to do so.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
no analysis or hype on this kid at all?

I have him ranked 7th for North American prospects.

Ian Scott is a talented but extremely raw goalie. The overall consistency in his game-to- game, period-to-period play needs improvement. The issue of game-to- game consistency was prevalent at the start of the season when Scott had difficulties putting more than two quality starts in a row. The in-game inconsistency shows the most on goals. There will be at least a goal a game where it’s one Scott needs to save. Now they aren’t necessarily soft goals but they are goals that will need stopping in the NHL if Scott is to become a NHLer.

The raw potential of Scott also shows in his movements. His footwork is quite good and gives him an advantage over many goalies. What makes scouts (and myself) excited over Scott is the size/movement combination that Scott possesses. He’s able to be highly aggressive taking away all the net with his size and then can cover the cross ice/backdoor play with his speed. Scott’s footwork is especially effective on tight, in-close plays as he uses a low/wide stance that gives him an advantage on lateral plays.

There's more to his profile in the 2017 Goalie Guide I put out.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
First I heard of the guy. Seems like a decent goalie. If Ottawa waits to pick a goalie until the mid rounds he could be a guy to consider.

AnArmchairScout

Jun 18, 2016
Would be a top goaltender if he played on a somewhat decent team, him and Stuart Skinner are neck and neck in terms of long term potential.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Would be a top goaltender if he played on a somewhat decent team, him and Stuart Skinner are neck and neck in terms of long term potential.

Being on a better team would have helped him a bit however when he was able to get away from Prince Albert it still wasn't pretty. At the CHL Top Prospects game there were incosistencies and it was even more obvious at the U18 WHC.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
no analysis or hype on this kid at all?

We've got him ranked 74th overall (fourth among goaltenders).

A bit of the scouting report we have on him:

A goaltender who balances challenging opposing shooters and when to drop back into his crease and hold the fort…cool when handling shots to the glove hand, keeping the glove angled according to net position and the situation in front…swallows up high shots without any rebounds, pinning pucks to his chest or belly pad…quickness is elite and whether it be his pads or glove hands, he was constantly flashing his limbs at pucks…has a lanky frame, but makes himself look massive in the net by being assertive in the crease…

https://futureconsiderations.ca/player/Ian-Scott/

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
great value pick for the Leafs

It looks like it.

I knew of Ian Scott before the draft but I was more focused on maybe the Maple Leafs getting Stuart Skinner or Max Zhukov.

I know Toronto management will handle Scott properly and hopefully he develops into his potential form.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Off to a great start this season.
GPMINSHSAVGAGAASAV%WLSO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hoping to catch a couple games when the Raiders tour B.C in January.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
A slight off-topic, in every Franchise mode (16,17,18), Ian Scott always developed to a solid starting goaltender, (80-85)
at least for me, not sure how its been for others though.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
product of a good team? Or is he actually playing that well

I see constant updates on twitter about him, and it seems he's taking 30~ shots a game. Even if he's playing for a good team, it's better to see stats like that compared to what we've seen so far.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
Through 15 games played hes posting 1.60 GAA and a .941 save %. Kids insane. Huge reason the raiders are the #1 team in the CHL .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad