G Filip Gustavsson - Luleå HF, SHL (2016, 55th, PIT, traded to OTT)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Thank you for the write up. Love goalie prospects, however watching European prospects is quite difficult if you don't live in Europe or have an actual job as a scout. It's good to get an actual idea of where goalies like Gustavsson stand compared to the goalies in North America.

I really love hearing about his "up-and-down" speed. Having that ability to quickly change is needed in the bounce filled environment of NA hockey. The bounce back ability is what gets me excited. A strong mental game already developed is a huge asset and should be a huge attraction for any team looking for a goalie.

The stylistic comparison is a bit worrisome. There's no doubt that Lundqvist in an elite goalie. His style is difficult to replicate successfully if you are not an extremely talented goalie yourself. If Gustavsson shows he has the skill to be like Lundqvist or can learn to challenge more and stand on top of his crease, then that worry is gone.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Thanks for the writeup. A small correction: "... and put up a .910 goals against average..." I think you mean save-percentage. :)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thank you for the write up. Love goalie prospects, however watching European prospects is quite difficult if you don't live in Europe or have an actual job as a scout. It's good to get an actual idea of where goalies like Gustavsson stand compared to the goalies in North America.

I really love hearing about his "up-and-down" speed. Having that ability to quickly change is needed in the bounce filled environment of NA hockey. The bounce back ability is what gets me excited. A strong mental game already developed is a huge asset and should be a huge attraction for any team looking for a goalie.

The stylistic comparison is a bit worrisome. There's no doubt that Lundqvist in an elite goalie. His style is difficult to replicate successfully if you are not an extremely talented goalie yourself. If Gustavsson shows he has the skill to be like Lundqvist or can learn to challenge more and stand on top of his crease, then that worry is gone.

For clarity, our report is based on the U17, Hlinka and U18 viewings. We didn't see any of him with Lulea J20, but included his stats.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

His quick transition to butterfly position is promising, him, hart sawchenk, and Fitzpatrick are far and above the best of the class, anyone of them could be drafterd in the late first and early second

Johnny5 Is Alive

Apr 16, 2016
Parsons?
Point?

Both of these guys are (for good reason) late to the conversation -- and neither are at Gustavsson's level yet (at least, they haven't shown enough to be put in his category yet). Both could turn out to be excellent pro goalies but, right now, I'd have Parsons in the 3rd or 4th Rd and Point in the 5th or 6th (don't understand his massive jump from 17th to 4th in NA).

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Played very well at the WJC. Anyone watched him this season in Sweden?

Yes, Gustavsson hasn't been that good this season. He has been a bit of a let down, especially considering last season when he was amazing. He was expected to take the next step this season but it has been quite the opposite so far. He has let a few too many soft goals past him.

I really liked what I saw during the WJC though, let's hope he can play at the same level in SHL.

Reactions: Bhrangerfan0809

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Automatically the goalie of the future for Sens??? Unsure Sens prospect situation in net but id assume he is up there

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Automatically the goalie of the future for Sens??? Unsure Sens prospect situation in net but id assume he is up there

The situation is very, very bad in Ottawa. They have one prospect who is the back up tender for the AHL team putting up .896 and 3.6 GAA at 23 years old.

That’s it.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Has had a pretty good start to his NA career. 5 games (or 4 full games + 1 period to be more precise) in Belleville, 0.933 save%.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Just got called up to the Sens. Might just be as temporary backup while CA dinged. Hope he gets a game. Would have thought they would call up Hogberg like last time. Curious why Gus got the call over Hog even. But maybe that's a good sign for Gus.

"
Filip Gustavsson has been summoned from the minors by Ottawa.

Gustavsson will serve as the backup goalie on Tuesday night behind Anders Nilsson. Craig Anderson won't dress after he tweaked something on Monday.
SOURCE: Sens communications on Twitter
Feb 12, 2019, 10:43 AM "

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Just got called up to the Sens. Might just be as temporary backup while CA dinged. Hope he gets a game. Would have thought they would call up Hogberg like last time. Curious why Gus got the call over Hog even. But maybe that's a good sign for Gus.

He wont play, they are probably just rewarding him with an NHL paycheck in a season where he has faced a heavier load than was intended

Also, they are chasing the playoffs and Hogberg has been the hotter hand lately (and hasnt played so much this year), so they need him there

It is a win-win situation, a way to reward both Hogberg and Gustavsson

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
HOws he coming along this season? AHL numbers don’t look so great. But could have as much to do with his team as anything.

Would like to see better GAA and SV% though. Still only 21 years old.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
HOws he coming along this season? AHL numbers don’t look so great. But could have as much to do with his team as anything.

Would like to see better GAA and SV% though. Still only 21 years old.
He hasn’t been playing well unfortunately. He was supposed be the AHL starter after Hogberg was called up but lost the job to Joey Daccord who was in the ECHL before Hogberg got called up.
He’s still young however and goalies take longer to develop.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
at least the sens got a first round pick in this trade. he isn't looking so good and i doubt he becomes an NHL goalie

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
at least the sens got a first round pick in this trade. he isn't looking so good and i doubt he becomes an NHL goalie

Damn. Being a top 10 goalie prospect to not making the NHL is a fairly significant drop off. And yea the 1st Round pick is at least something.

Still keeping my fingers crossed though. As he’s still just 21 there’s plenty of time to turn it around. A lot of goalies don’t seem ready to succeed in the NHL until around 24 or 25.

Quite a few have come over recently in the 21-27 age range and seem to have earlier success. I’d go as far as to say, the foreign goalies that play in one of the European leagues, be it the KHL, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland or other, seem to have better success when they make the jump than those that come up in North America. At least it is seeming that way of late. I’d go as far as saying it might have been better if he’d played across the pond until he’s 22-24 or so and then come over. Not a guarantee it would change his outcome, but think it might take him longer to reach his potential in his current route for whatever reason.

Well, guess time will tell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He hasn’t been playing well unfortunately. He was supposed be the AHL starter after Hogberg was called up but lost the job to Joey Daccord who was in the ECHL before Hogberg got called up.
He’s still young however and goalies take longer to develop.
The good news is the competition seems to be helping, his numbers were awful his first 10 games, but have progressed since then, and his last 3 games have been lights out. Hopefully he builds on it.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad