G Felix Sandstrom (2015, 70th, PHI)

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
I can't believe no one has made a thread about him yet. He has a decent size and from what I've read about him he sounds like an exciting goalie prospect. Looks like he's talked about going in the 2'nd round. Also doesn't hurt known for making good goalie prospects. Wondering does he have starter potential or is he more a backup potential.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It's been a few years since we had a real good goalie on our WJC team. Maybe Sandström can change that.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
How has he done this year? He been slipping from likely 2nd round and possible 1st picked goalie in this draft to mid round pick. Has he not been progressing as much as thought off?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Surprised there has been no bump on this thread so far this year... I mean, of all the guys drafted in 2015 I think he has an argument as to having one of the most unexpected pronounced 'jump' in terms of what he has done since. I mean, were it not for injuries and mono he probably goes higher that he did, and a lot knew of his impressive talent, but he has came on so much since last season.

Made the Brynas SHL team. Pushing 2014 3rd rounder Jonas Johansson to the Allsvenskan on loan.

Stepped in when Starkbaum went down. Has proceeded to outplay Starkbaum and is now the Brynas split-starter.

6gp, 4w, 0l, 2otl.

.922 sv% (3rd best in the SHL)

And while the numbers alone are very nice (though over a small sample) it is the way he has played that is most impressive...

he is 18 and is playing like a proper pro-style goalie, his positioning is great, angles very good and there is zero panic with him. Last year he was relying more on his athleticism to get by in his limited SHL games (I saw 2/3 of them)... but this year he has only had to use it as a last resort, as he is rarely getting himself in trouble or out of position.

One goal on a breakaway that trickled through his 5 hole and one that he did not track behind the net properly that was reversed and slammed home have been the only 2 you could really say he would 'want back'.

By my reckoning Hans-Goran Elo and Jakub Markstrom have been the only two guys in the SHL's 40 year history who have established themselves as a split-starter or better at a younger age.

What he has done, albeit in a small sample, is very, very impressive.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Also surprised to see that it wasn´t more talk about Sandstrom. To do what he has been doing this season as an 18 year old goalie is remarkable. Good info Appleyard.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The WJC highlight reel:

sandstrompadsavepotg.gif

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
9 WJC Games, Best Goaltender at the WJC, 79 SHL games to an .885 in the ECHL. Was he always overhyped or did his game fall off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad