G Eric Hartzell (2007 undrafted, Pittsburgh)

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
He's been the starter for Quinnipiac the past three years and he's been outstanding. As a sophomore he was 12-6-5 (2.22 GAA .927 SV%) as a junior he went 12-11-6 (2.20 GAA, .913 SV%) and this year as a senior he's been completely dominant going 16-2-2 (1.48 GAA .934 SV%). He's 6'4 190 so he's got plenty of size; I'd have to think he'll get a shot with someone when he graduates. Anyone have an opinion of this kid?

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Bump.

I go to Quinnipiac, and I have nothing but incredible things to say about Eric Hartzell. He's been the reason (along with Jeremy Langlois) that Quinnipiac is now ranked 5th in the nation.

Hartzell uses his size as well as any goalie that's 6'4" 190lbs. This video here shows how his size is probably his best asset.

I think he has 1B NHL potential.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
I graduated from QU just this past summer, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on him as well. I unfortunately never got to attend many QU games(I will be attending the QU/Yale game this year though!), but given his stats, I really hope he gets at least an invite to an NHL camp next season. As the poster above me said, he has great size and uses it to his advantage.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Not to derail the thread but given you guys watch Quinnipiac a lot, whats happened with Peca this year versus last?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Not to derail the thread but given you guys watch Quinnipiac a lot, whats happened with Peca this year versus last?

Sophomore slump. He had a horrible start but then again so did the team. He had probably the prettiest goal that the Bobcats scored this year. On the road against RPI he a 5-on-3 shorthanded goal.

He also plays with the Jones twins (Connor and Kellen) who I think are terrible. Kellen was drafted by the Oilers, Connor is undrafted. They are so dumb, and they don't know how to play without each other. I would like to see Peca on a line with Jeremy Langlois (the active leader in career goals scored), but Langlois' line is clicking really well with Russell Goodman and Clay Harvey.

I think Peca plays here next year then goes pro (just in time for me to graduate :D).

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I graduated from QU just this past summer, and I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on him as well. I unfortunately never got to attend many QU games(I will be attending the QU/Yale game this year though!), but given his stats, I really hope he gets at least an invite to an NHL camp next season. As the poster above me said, he has great size and uses it to his advantage.

The Yale game is always a great time. If you know what I'm talking about I'm in the spirit group so I'm in the group that's very loud and obnoxious at games :yo:

This year we should kick their *****. Screw Yale.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
He's been the starter for Quinnipiac the past three years and he's been outstanding. As a sophomore he was 12-6-5 (2.22 GAA .927 SV%) as a junior he went 12-11-6 (2.20 GAA, .913 SV%) and this year as a senior he's 8-2-2 (1.56 GAA .927 SV%). He's 6'4 190 so he's got plenty of size; I'd have to think he'll get a shot with someone when he graduates. Anyone have an opinion of this kid?
The junior year stats show that he carries this team on his back to give them every chance to win.

He'll be playing somewhere for a living..

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Bump.

I go to Quinnipiac, and I have nothing but incredible things to say about Eric Hartzell. He's been the reason (along with Jeremy Langlois) that Quinnipiac is now ranked 5th in the nation.

Hartzell uses his size as well as any goalie that's 6'4" 190lbs. This video here shows how his size is probably his best asset.

I think he has 1B NHL potential.

Not to pick apparent Hartzell, because this is the only thing I have seen on him, but the two keys to the video are the fact the two forwards are so close in on the net, plus Hartzell clearly plays for a pass back across the net. Good anticipation perhaps, or maybe guess work which would get pick apart at the pro level.

Just my thoughts on the video, and I'll trust your overall opinion more since you watch him a lot more than me. I have been curious about Hartzell for a bit though myself, as I like to see which UFA college kids get a shot at being signed, and I think with his size and numbers, he should get a try out at least. Has there been any rumours on who has been at his games scouting?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Not to pick apparent Hartzell, because this is the only thing I have seen on him, but the two keys to the video are the fact the two forwards are so close in on the net, plus Hartzell clearly plays for a pass back across the net. Good anticipation perhaps, or maybe guess work which would get pick apart at the pro level.

Just my thoughts on the video, and I'll trust your overall opinion more since you watch him a lot more than me. I have been curious about Hartzell for a bit though myself, as I like to see which UFA college kids get a shot at being signed, and I think with his size and numbers, he should get a try out at least. Has there been any rumours on who has been at his games scouting?

The Flyers lately. He attended their rookie camp this past summer and I heard they were at the last few games.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut

According to a QU fan who goes to every game, Mark Messier, Paul Maclean, Craig Mactavish, and Paul Holmgren were at the game against Nebraska-Omaha

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
So was Peter Chiarelli, but they were probably scouting Ryan Walters.

or Andrej Sustr. He seems to be on a lot of NHL teams wish lists as a free agent signee at the end of the season.

As for Hartzell (and I've seen quite a bit of him in his career at Quinnipiac) as mentioned already his size is one of his greatest assets. The two things that jump out at me from a developmental standpoint are his confidence level and consistency - two things that have really improved in his game IMO. He's got good fundamentals, uses his size well as far as covering the net and doesn't move around more than necessary (read that isn't a flopper), reads and tracks plays well. He also has good rebound control and can limit second and third chances (two other areas that have improved).

Having said this, Hartzell will get (if he's hasn't already) some NHL scouting attention. Whether he actually gets signed by a team remains to be seen.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Funny thing about Hartzell, I went to high school with him and he wasn't even our starting goalie his junior year. There was a kid a year older than him who had started since he was a freshman so even though most people had an inkling that Hartzell might be better, the coach kept his blinders on and stuck with the senior. The kid who started over him wasn't a scrub by any means, I think he was all-state honorable mention and went on to play D3 but he certainly wasn't a potential future NHLer. Hartzell left his senior year to go play for his dad in Sioux Falls and as they say, the rest is history.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Bump

18-2-4 record, 1.43 GAA and a .936%... Really hoping an NHL team gives this kid a shot at some point.

Great stats don't always tell the whole story, but in Hartzell's case this season they do because in the Bobcats games that I've seen him in this year, he has made numerous saves that he either would've given up in past years or that have given his team a chance to maintain a lead/win the game. As much as I like Quinnipiac's team defense, Hartzell is the guy that keeps that aspect of their game together. Without his great play, the defense probably wouldn't be as tight as it is right now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers had him in their prospect camp over the summer, I think. Wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to sign him.

penguins2946*

Bump

With WBS of the AHL this year, he is 9-3-1 with a .931 save% and a 1.72 GAA through 17 games. He's been awesome. I'd love to see him get some NHL games this year.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Wrote this on the Pens board over the summer.

Eric Hartzell

Skill

Hartzell is a great skater and moves around his crease fluidly for a player his size. He goes side to side and reads plays well so his big frame is always “in the wayâ€. Pucks just seem to hit him and his upright style takes up a lot of the net.

His reflexes are very good but not at the MAF level. I think he has such an understanding of angles and taking away net that his reflexes don’t have to be elite. He just knows how to use his size and always seems upright even when going down.

Hartzells is also pretty good at playing the puck. Maybe not at the level of a Barrasso but its not a flaw by any means. I would like to see him more before commenting on how he reacts to plays and pucks behind the net. If he isn’t good at it I think its just a matter of time before he corrects that flaw. He’s to competitive and to athletic to let something like that hinder his game.
One thing that I have noticed is that, even though he has a good glove, he sometimes gets handcuffed by pucks because his arms are so long.

Its hard to talk about a players mental game as a fan but he seems as competitive as hell and a team leader. From everything I’ve read and watched it seems to hold true that this kid is a rock.

Physical game

Hartzell is big and knows how to use his size. Couple that size with an aggressive nature and it makes Hartzell a nightmare for shooters because you see almost no net to shoot at. He also moves around his crease well and is good at reading plays so he can take up a lot of net while moving around.

Outlook

Hartzell plays a style that’s close to Mike Smith. A big goalie that goes into the butterfly when down. The thing is that he’s so big that when he goes down he gives up very little up top. I think there’s a lot to like about his game and it looks pretty close to being pro. He has to prove himself at the pro level but IMO his size, competitive nature and athletic ability are just too good.

penguins2946*

Seems like a good goalie, maybe Pittsburgh's backup goalie next year?

Probably not, the Pens re-signed Zatkoff for 2 years. He will probably be good enough next year, but he probably won't be the backup. He'll get sine games when one of the goalies gets hurt though. I'm pretty sure Murray goes pro next year as well, which may create a problem in the AHL. Murray needs to play to develop, but Hartzell is so much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad