G Emil Garipov - Ak Bars Kazan, KHL (2009 undrafted)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The guy has had fantastic numbers the last several years and is a big guy. I would fully expect that if he truly wanted to come to North America, it would have happened by now...or he would be the property of an NHL team at this point.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
First of all, KHL goaltender stats mean next to nothing. Few well known no-good NHL goalies like Koskinen and Sanford have incredible numbers there, been throwing this kind of a lot but will say it again, Vitaly Kolesnik was one of statistically best goalies in the KHL and he's actually a garbage goalie. Barulin, who has been absolutely woeful this season still managed .932 save percentage behind Ak Bars defense. Meanwhile some Vezina winner crossed the pond after having a humble .919 the season before.

Having said that, Garipov is actually good. He plays big, unlike many Russian goalies (including Barulin) he can move laterally and with some seasoning I believe he could actually have success in the NHL. However, he plays for one of the richest KHL clubs and is a home-grown boy so I guess it would take something huge to get him to sign that lousy two-way ELC.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Has this guy signed a contract extension with a KHL team recently or is he planning to come over to the NHL at some point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad