G Elvis Merzlikins - HC Lugano, NLA (2014, 76th overall, Columbus)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Excerpt from THW War Room profile:
Elvis Merzlikins

Hashtag: #TheLatvianElvis
Team: #30, HC Lugano, NLA
Position: Goalie
Shoots: Left
Height: 6’3
Weight: 187 lb.
Born: Riga, Latvia, 13-Apr-94
Twitter: @merzly30

"From the War Room

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Elvis Merzlikins:

The Latvian Elvis – “Suspicious Minds” may beg to differ but I believe that the next (or is it the first?) great Latvian goalie will not be the Latvian star from the 2014 Olympics, Kristers Gudlevskis, but it will be Elvis Merzlikins, the Latvian teenager who took the NLA (top Swiss professional league) by storm this year (22GP – 2.13 – .924).
Qualities – Elvis, an overager at 20, displays a confident mature game. He already plays a North American style game, coming out and challenging the shooters, deadening the puck to prevent rebounds. However, he also will flash his athleticism and agility to prevent the puck from entering the net. Sometimes there is a “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin On.” What stands out for me, however, is his play with the puck; he already handles the puck better than a lot of NHL defensemen. Like the original Elvis (Elvis Presley), Elvis can be a real showman at times and he is a real individual..."

Link to the full in depth profile
http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-draft-war-room-elvis-merzlikins/

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Indeed, Latvian hockey community fully expect him to be picked in the later rounds of the draft as his accolades speak for themselves. Interestingly enough, there's another Latvian goalie in Switzerland breaking through, same birth year - Ivars Punnenovs, who lately seems to outperform Merzlikins on the international stage when both have been on the team. His numbers doesn't look so impressive, but we need to remember, that Punnenovs have the leagues weakest team in front of him. Still, he needs to establish himself a bit more, so we can have (overage) goalie drafted in three consecutive years. :)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's one of the guys I'd be happy to take with a late rounder as opposed to going for a 'tender early. I've only seen him play once, but everything I read makes him seem worth a flier.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Merzlikins is an absolute stud. I agree that he probably has even more potential than Gudlevskis.

I'd be really surprised if he wouldn't get picked.

And I definitely agree with Ozo regarding Punnenovs - the guy's a hidden gem and it looks an awful lot like he's been completely overlooked because there's not too much scouting going on in the Swiss league, which is a shame, considering it is on par with the AHL in terms of talent.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Merzlikins is an absolute stud. I agree that he probably has even more potential than Gudlevskis.
Yep, as worthless as my opinion is, I'm baffled by his recent success. Whenever I saw him in net for MHL team he was schooled by every skilled Russian player coming into town as all Gudlevskis had going for him was his sheer size (though reports of a good work ethic was there).

Merzlikins indeed looks like Irbe in comparision to Gudlevskis in my eyes.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Yep, as worthless as my opinion is, I'm baffled by his recent success. Whenever I saw him in net for MHL team he was schooled by every skilled Russian player coming into town as all Gudlevskis had going for him was his sheer size (though reports of a good work ethic was there).

Merzlikins indeed looks like Irbe in comparision to Gudlevskis in my eyes.

Interesting, ozo - do you think he's draftworthy in your opinion, then?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Interesting, ozo - do you think he's draftworthy in your opinion, then?

Missed this post with all the activity on the draft board. Now my answer is pointless as he was indeed drafted. Fwiw, of course I think he is draftworthy, as was countless Euro players every year who doesn't get drafted just because they lack that bit of extra exposure. Seeing what players go in last rounds every year makes me a bit sad, but eventually it doesn't matter that much. Even if a player doesn't end up drafted, as long as you are ready for sacrifices you always have a chance to find a way to make NHL dream come true.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Now lets see if the goalie (Punnenovs) who I think is equally as good as Merzlikins can break out next year.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Now lets see if the goalie (Punnenovs) who I think is equally as good as Merzlikins can break out next year.
Unfortunately, that isn't very likely to happen, as Punnenovs is going to stay in Rapperswil behind a horrendous defence and the goalie depth in our national team is pretty solid right now, so he might not get a shot at playing in the World Champs either.

So he's probably going to have to turn on Hasek-mode, if he wants to have a good SVS% behind a team that lets in 200 goals per season in a 12 team league.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Really wish the CBJ could bring Elvis over to NA for good this Summer/fall. Shame that his NLA contract has one more year left and a pretty much guaranteed no out clause.

:(

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Saw him over the weekend, looked pretty good tracking the puck, looking around screens but not losing his angle. Definitely comes out of his net to play angles, but will play deep when puck goes low.

The puck handling was a mixed bag: he can make crisp passes, but a coin flip on what team it went to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad