G Eetu Laurikainen - Blues, FEL (2011 undrafted; 2015 signed, EDM)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Just wondering if anyone has an info on the guy and why he hasn't been picked up. He's only 6'0 which isn't huge by goalie standards but he's put up solid numbers everywhere he's played and early on he has crazy numbers in Liiga.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Small undrafted goalies with no international games rarely get signed. While Laurikainen is pretty solid goalie with that size(closer to 5'10 in reality), it just isn't enough to get a NHL contract.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Small undrafted goalies with no international games rarely get signed. While Laurikainen is pretty solid goalie with that size(closer to 5'10 in reality), it just isn't enough to get a NHL contract.

The size explains a bit more. I was trusting eliteprospects which had him at 6'0.

Hockeygekko

Dec 3, 2012
Finland

He sure was 5´10 sometime as a junior :sarcasm:. Last time I saw him, he was at least 6´0, maybe even taller, 183-185 cm.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
unconfirmed rumours in Finland say he's been offered a contract by an NHL team (Iltasanomat), and at least one finger (random stranger on message boards) pointed at the Oilers

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wouldn't be surprised. Was fantastic for Swift Current for a couple of years and I liked his game a lot. Just felt he was always a tad too small.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Two-year contract with the Oilers apparently.

http://www.jaakiekkoexpertti.com/bluesissa-loistanut-eetu-laurikainen-nhl-sopimukseen/

Google translation of the first two paragraphs:

A little bushes Espoo risen Blues last season ykkösvahdiksi Eetu Laurikainen has made a NHL contract with the Edmonton Oilers .

Data emanating from North America , the Edmonton Oilers have signed a two-year contract newcomer last season Espoo Blues with paint provided for protection against Eetu with Laurikaisen.
And he's listed on the prospect page on the Oilers site now:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Hmm interesting. Seems pretty low risk, seeing as bunz fell off the charts we definitely need to move on and try out other prospects. Never know when you've hit gold or not with a goalie.

Aceonfire*

Two-year contract with the Oilers apparently.

http://www.jaakiekkoexpertti.com/bluesissa-loistanut-eetu-laurikainen-nhl-sopimukseen/

Google translation of the first two paragraphs:

And he's listed on the prospect page on the Oilers site now:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Matti Virmanen was obviously behind this deal. The same guy that got us Pakarinen and he was likely behind the push for Raanta before Chicago got him.

He has a good eye for talent.

If they clear out the scouts I hope they keep him and Eklund.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not terribly surprised. Had him rated just outside my top 45 WHL players for the 2013 NHL Draft. Extremely athletic goaltender with good fundamentals. Battles extremely hard in the cage, never quitting on pucks. Very good glove hand.

Size, or lack thereof, was always my only real concern.

He was one of the best goalies in the WHL during his time here.

Topkatz

Jul 23, 2010
Not terribly surprised. Had him rated just outside my top 45 WHL players for the 2013 NHL Draft. Extremely athletic goaltender with good fundamentals. Battles extremely hard in the cage, never quitting on pucks. Very good glove hand.

Size, or lack thereof, was always my only real concern.

He was one of the best goalies in the WHL during his time here.

Based on what you have seen, can you see him as a starter eventually in the NHL or more of a backup?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Based on what you have seen, can you see him as a starter eventually in the NHL or more of a backup?

Definitely more of a backup. His lack of size remains an issue and ultimately I think he will make a good #3 type of guy within an organization if he can continue to take strides in his development.

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
Not a fan of "Size-Issue- Cub" but it`s the case here. Goalies now a days have to be 6´3´´ and bigger, simply because you can put more padding on them...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not a fan of "Size-Issue- Cub" but it`s the case here. Goalies now a days have to be 6´3´´ and bigger, simply because you can put more padding on them...

Like it or not (I don't like it either) it is the case. In the last 3 NHL drafts there were 4 goalies taken who were 5'11 or under. That's out of like 50 goalies. Teams like big goalies and it's hard to really say that's a bad strategy. Sure, there will always be outliers so we'll see if Eetu has what it takes.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Just few years ago 5'11 Tim Thomas was the best goalie in the world. The game hasn't changed that much that being under 6 feet would be too much to overcome, if the talent is sufficient.

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
cause LB is a legit prospect and he couldn't outplay him.

Nah I think its more because he's not getting the starts over Scrivens when he should be.

We're playing Scrivens hoping he plays well so we can move him for something, but he's playing terribly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad