G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If you want to know the sweetspot for an NHL starting goalie, your criteria should not include AHL starting goalies, or even back-ups for that matter. I'd include any goalie who plays 30+ games consistently. Anyone else clearly cannot cut it as a starter for whatever reason.

Your criteria of 30+ consistent games is decent as well as that's a hard feat for most goalies.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
Best save % for whl goalies so far with 10+ games with a 945SV%. Can anyone confirm he looks as good as his stats rn?

Yeah well like Cayden Primeau at the time, I think people still can't believe wolf went in 7th round, such a steal this late in the draft so it's not surprising he excels like that

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Dustin Wolf is a cheat code in the WHL. He had a mind blowing season last year where he was arguably a top 5 goalie in the CHL and has proven so far that this year he can find another gear to his game. Wolf last year posted a 52.715 GSAA while only seeing 26.55 SA/60 and a 0.992 GSAA/30. This year he's seeing 32.8 SA/60 and has a 1.089 GSAA/30. Watched his game last night vs Kamloops and he was perfect to watch. He knows how to play the game and what it takes to succeed. Whether it's his movement, tracking, technical ability, rebound control, puck handling etc. he just does it all so well.

Reactions: S E P H

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
How Knight went higher then Wolf is unbelievable

100/100 scouts take knight over wolf. They are projecting for NHL and size matters. Let’s not forget that Knight is playing the against much older competition in the NCAA this season compared to what wolf is facing.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Dustin Wolf is a cheat code in the WHL. He had a mind blowing season last year where he was arguably a top 5 goalie in the CHL and has proven so far that this year he can find another gear to his game. Wolf last year posted a 52.715 GSAA while only seeing 26.55 SA/60 and a 0.992 GSAA/30. This year he's seeing 32.8 SA/60 and has a 1.089 GSAA/30. Watched his game last night vs Kamloops and he was perfect to watch. He knows how to play the game and what it takes to succeed. Whether it's his movement, tracking, technical ability, rebound control, puck handling etc. he just does it all so well.

100% disagree especially with side to tracking, side movement and rebound control. I don't know how you can say he's technically sound either. What you're seeing is called system effect. When you watch the system get overrun like it's apt to do with more high powered offensive teams (not the 2nd and 3rd worst offenses like where his 2 shutouts came from), he looks terrible. It's why a 19 year old rookie with huge athleticism issues can come in as his backup and look decent. Is Joel Hofer the next big WHL goalie because he's looked great. Wolf to me looks like a great WHL goalie. That's as far as the puck goes there. It's why in higher level play like even at the showcase this summer he was shelled.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
100% disagree especially with side to tracking, side movement and rebound control. I don't know how you can say he's technically sound either. What you're seeing is called system effect. When you watch the system get overrun like it's apt to do with more high powered offensive teams (not the 2nd and 3rd worst offenses like where his 2 shutouts came from), he looks terrible. It's why a 19 year old rookie with huge athleticism issues can come in as his backup and look decent. Is Joel Hofer the next big WHL goalie because he's looked great. Wolf to me looks like a great WHL goalie. That's as far as the puck goes there. It's why in higher level play like even at the showcase this summer he was shelled.

Odd... because virtually every media personnel said Wolf was the USAs best player in that tourney...

Shocked youre an Oilers fan :sarcasm:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Odd... because virtually every media personnel said Wolf was the USAs best player in that tourney...

Shocked youre an Oilers fan :sarcasm:

Uhh what? First of all, I'm not an Oilers fan. Nor have I ever said I was. But I think that's the issue here, YOU SEE THINGS THAT AREN'T ACTUALLY HAPPENING. More on that later.

Second, I've been very adamant that Wolf is not an NHL calibre prospect for a long time, BEFORE he was ever drafted.

Third... and perhaps this is the reason you're making up facts that you think I'm an oilers fan, because you know you live in a dream world, because... as someone who attended the entire Showcase this summer in Michigan, Wolf was unequivocally nowhere close to being the USA's best player much less even the best goalie. It's actually gotta be embarrassing for you to even write what you wrote, because it shows everyone you're FAKE NEWS.

Wolf had one good game during split squad play where he faced zero traffic against a weak Swedish forward corps, who's literal best player was a freshly turned 17 year old Raymond coming off food poisoning LOL. Look down that roster. It was SPARSE for Sweden, but thats an entirely different topic. When Wolf faced Canada? He was PUMPED and looked terrible. When Wolf faced Finland as a backup? He got lit up.

When Wolf plays in a system (like with Everett) that can contain shots and keep things out of the interior, he's fine. When his system gets overloaded, as you see more high pressure activity below the dots he is a mess. That and a number of stylistic, physical, and play flaws had Wolf on a number of teams and scouts DND list.

And seriously, if you don't think Knight was infinitely better that tourny than Wolf, you are absolutely biased. Best player? You've lost all credibility.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Uhh what? First of all, I'm not an Oilers fan. Nor have I ever said I was. But I think that's the issue here, YOU SEE THINGS THAT AREN'T ACTUALLY HAPPENING. More on that later.

Second, I've been very adamant that Wolf is not an NHL calibre prospect for a long time, BEFORE he was ever drafted.

Third... and perhaps this is the reason you're making up facts that you think I'm an oilers fan, because you know you live in a dream world, because... as someone who attended the entire Showcase this summer in Michigan, Wolf was unequivocally nowhere close to being the USA's best player much less even the best goalie. It's actually gotta be embarrassing for you to even write what you wrote, because it shows everyone you're FAKE NEWS.

Wolf had one good game during split squad play where he faced zero traffic against a weak Swedish forward corps, who's literal best player was a freshly turned 17 year old Raymond coming off food poisoning LOL. Look down that roster. It was SPARSE for Sweden, but thats an entirely different topic. When Wolf faced Canada? He was PUMPED and looked terrible. When Wolf faced Finland as a backup? He got lit up.

When Wolf plays in a system (like with Everett) that can contain shots and keep things out of the interior, he's fine. When his system gets overloaded, as you see more high pressure activity below the dots he is a mess. That and a number of stylistic, physical, and play flaws had Wolf on a number of teams and scouts DND list.

And seriously, if you don't think Knight was infinitely better that tourny than Wolf, you are absolutely biased. Best player? You've lost all credibility.

Lol I didn’t see anything of that tourney but I remember there were lots of tweets about how good Wolf played.

And yes, I am clearly the one looking foolish here...

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Lol I didn’t see anything of that tourney but I remember there were lots of tweets about how good Wolf played.

And yes, I am clearly the one looking foolish here...

Yep, you are, and it's funny you're trying to use sarcasm to defer your foolishness. You admit you never saw the tournament, you talk about the tweets from media people from the tourney saying he was the best player at the showcase, and yet when you do a simple search for Wolf on twitter at the tournament, the only positive reviews came from early in the tourny during split squad games at the START OF THE TOURNAMENT, when again, as I said, he played good against arguably the worst offensive team in the tournament who had 0 first round talent up front, and who's best player was a fresh faced newly turned 17 year old who's 2020 draft eligible who was leaking brown sauce into his hockey pants because of food poisoning. It's not like Wolf had 2 bad outings after that or anything and looked terrible. THAT WAS SARCASM; YOUR NATIVE TONGUE.

Seriously, redeem your reputation. Show me one tweet from a "media personnel" that says Wolf was the best USA player at the showcase. It should be easy since as you said, "virtually every media personnel said Wolf was the USAs best player in that tourney..."

At this point I'm embarrassed for you. I'd have at least respected your difference of opinion if you watched the showcase. But you've literally got an opinion on something you've never witnessed. It's comical.

Last edited:

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Flames goalie development has to be some of the worst in the league. They need an overhaul before this kid gets affected by it too.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017

Lol

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Context matters. Maybe instead of reading some twitter stats and lol'ing like you're smart, you could put down your pocket protector, and watch a game, and realize his >>>19 year old rookie backup's<<< only started 2 games. His 4 appearances, were the first in his WHL career, and he's looked respectable after a shaky start. I mean, I didn't go to Devry/Yale like you my good sir, but is it possible there could be a lack of data considering his backup who was plucked from the USHL garbage pile has only played 140 something minutes all year?

The Tips took a kid who was getting lit up in the USHL last year, COULDN'T EVEN HOLD A JOB IN THE USHL, AND HAS NEVER HAD A SAVE PERCENTAGE ABOVE .900 IN HIS CAREER, HIS CAREER, and after 2 starts and 140 something minutes have him hovering around the top 10-15 goalies in the league in most goalie cats on any given week. You want a true barometer? Watch the tips when Wolf goes to USA's selection camp. I guarantee you Karki won't skip a beat the same way Palaga didn't. Who by the way went from having a STELLAR line last year (better than Wolf's line) as the backup, to looking like garbage in the BCHL.

They're taking the old adage that anyone could play in net on this team and in this system and turning it into reality.

Reactions: Jacob

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Context matters. Maybe instead of reading some twitter stats and lol'ing like you're smart, you could put down your pocket protector, and watch a game, and realize his >>>19 year old rookie backup's<<< only started 2 games. His 4 appearances, were the first in his WHL career, and he's looked respectable after a shaky start. I mean, I didn't go to Devry/Yale like you my good sir, but is it possible there could be a lack of data considering his backup who was plucked from the USHL garbage pile has only played 140 something minutes all year?

The Tips took a kid who was getting lit up in the USHL last year, COULDN'T EVEN HOLD A JOB IN THE USHL, AND HAS NEVER HAD A SAVE PERCENTAGE ABOVE .900 IN HIS CAREER, HIS CAREER, and after 2 starts and 140 something minutes have him hovering around the top 10-15 goalies in the league in most goalie cats on any given week. You want a true barometer? Watch the tips when Wolf goes to USA's selection camp. I guarantee you Karki won't skip a beat the same way Palaga didn't. Who by the way went from having a STELLAR line last year (better than Wolf's line) as the backup, to looking like garbage in the BCHL.

They're taking the old adage that anyone could play in net on this team and in this system and turning it into reality.

Also could be said about Askarov. I know every pundit drools over him but he also plays for loaded Russian teams who play fantastic defense in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad