G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wolf at 4 is a real big stretch in my opinion. Real big.

why? his job is to stop the puck and he has a .935 sp across 100+ regular season games the last 2 years

those are insane numbers in the chl. his numbers dominate the other starting goalies in his league

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
why? his job is to stop the puck and he has a .935 sp across 100+ regular season games the last 2 years

those are insane numbers in the chl. his numbers dominate the other starting goalies in his league

Stats can be massively inflated based on the team in front of him. Everett is a team that does a great job of limiting high chance scoring opportunities and thus their strategy results in goalies with a high save percentage. Carter Hart (great goalie in himself) had a .947!!!! over 41 games in Everett while Wolf had a .928 in 20 games. Another example of goalie save % inflation is in the VHL and KHL where below average goalies in the league put up .920. Thus my concern with Askarovs inflated stats. Askarov was had a .920 in the VHL but that was only good enough to rank him 50th in save %. Wolf size and weight are an issue - he is slight. I don't think he is a legit 6'0 and is very skinny. To have him ranked 4th over some pretty good goalies with better size (Oettinger, Swayman, Primeau should be higher) seems high to me.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
His ability to read the play is special. He makes very tough saves look routine with his edge work and ability to read the play. Other goalies need to use their athleticism while Dustin just sees things develop earlier and the puck hits him in the chest more than any goalie I’ve seen.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Stats can be massively inflated based on the team in front of him. Everett is a team that does a great job of limiting high chance scoring opportunities and thus their strategy results in goalies with a high save percentage. Carter Hart (great goalie in himself) had a .947!!!! over 41 games in Everett while Wolf had a .928 in 20 games. Another example of goalie save % inflation is in the VHL and KHL where below average goalies in the league put up .920. Thus my concern with Askarovs inflated stats. Askarov was had a .920 in the VHL but that was only good enough to rank him 50th in save %. Wolf size and weight are an issue - he is slight. I don't think he is a legit 6'0 and is very skinny. To have him ranked 4th over some pretty good goalies with better size (Oettinger, Swayman, Primeau should be higher) seems high to me.

I get the size concerns about Wolf because if he didn't have them he'd be fighting for that top spot among drafted NHL goalies. He's an extremely smart goalie that understands what he has to do to make it into the NHL at his size. That Carter Hart season you refer to was his DY+2 which Wolf hasn't played his yet. Using SV% is definitely the wrong stat to use when comparing especially across multiple leagues as not every average shot is equal in every league. Dustin Wolf though has dominated statistically in his past two WHL seasons. We're talking about a goalie who hit the +50 Goals Saved Above Average mark in his Draft Year and had a 0.992 GSAA/30 (shots) which is rare in that only Hart, Bartosak, and Kuemper hit those heights in the last 10 years of the WHL. This season Wolf ended with a 45.547 GSAA & 1.038 GSAA/30. No one in the WHL was close. Jiri Patera in his overager year was the next highest in GSAA with 27.043 with a 0.614 GSAA/30. Dylan Garand, Joel Hofer, and David Tendeck all had similar SA/60 as Wolf but none were close in either GSAA or GSAA/30.

The skill set we see him employ plus the results make it very difficult to bet against Wolf. Pretty much every other goalie prospect you're hoping they show the ability to keep up with the game mentally or physically as they progress. Wolf doesn't have those holes. He's too good for the WHL and would honestly benefit from playing pro hockey though that's obviously not in the cards even if he was allowed to. Statistically speaking not even Carter Hart's draft years numbers were close to Wolf's as Hart posted a 25.878 GSAA and 0.482 GSAA/30.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I get the size concerns about Wolf because if he didn't have them he'd be fighting for that top spot among drafted NHL goalies. He's an extremely smart goalie that understands what he has to do to make it into the NHL at his size. That Carter Hart season you refer to was his DY+2 which Wolf hasn't played his yet. Using SV% is definitely the wrong stat to use when comparing especially across multiple leagues as not every average shot is equal in every league. Dustin Wolf though has dominated statistically in his past two WHL seasons. We're talking about a goalie who hit the +50 Goals Saved Above Average mark in his Draft Year and had a 0.992 GSAA/30 (shots) which is rare in that only Hart, Bartosak, and Kuemper hit those heights in the last 10 years of the WHL. This season Wolf ended with a 45.547 GSAA & 1.038 GSAA/30. No one in the WHL was close. Jiri Patera in his overager year was the next highest in GSAA with 27.043 with a 0.614 GSAA/30. Dylan Garand, Joel Hofer, and David Tendeck all had similar SA/60 as Wolf but none were close in either GSAA or GSAA/30.

The skill set we see him employ plus the results make it very difficult to bet against Wolf. Pretty much every other goalie prospect you're hoping they show the ability to keep up with the game mentally or physically as they progress. Wolf doesn't have those holes. He's too good for the WHL and would honestly benefit from playing pro hockey though that's obviously not in the cards even if he was allowed to. Statistically speaking not even Carter Hart's draft years numbers were close to Wolf's as Hart posted a 25.878 GSAA and 0.482 GSAA/30.

I don’t know why people diss SV%. It’s true that you need context for it, but there aren’t bad goalies that consistently put up great save percentages. If you use it properly, it’s a good stat.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don’t know why people diss SV%. It’s true that you need context for it, but there aren’t bad goalies that consistently put up great save percentages. If you use it properly, it’s a good stat.

It's just useless in comparing across multiple leagues. For example in the OHL this year the league average SV% was 0.888 whereas in the WHL the league average SV% was 0.901 so a 0.920 in the OHL is harder to reach compared to the WHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hasn't played that much in this tournament, but I thought he did well with the game action he got. He didn't allow a goal against Russia facing numerous real scoring chances, and then he pitched a shutout against Austria. Austria doesn't pose a real threat, but you still see all the time that goalies in this tournament turn shots that aren't real scoring chances into a goal due to poor goaltending. He's done his job. Hasn't allowed a goal.

If Knight wasn't so highly touted, I think he would've gotten the net, and I believe he would've done a very good job with it. Wolf's been one of the best goalies we've had at this tournament. It's a shame for him he's sat behind Knight for two years.

But I think he's looking like he's developing well, and in around 3 years he could start giving the Flames an internal option to split games with Markstrom towards the latter half of his contract.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's gotta be wondering what he has to do to get in the nets. Maybe he needs start racking up some assists?

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014
Agreed. I wish one of my countries next best goalies wouldn't have to continue playing against children with nothing left to prove and very little to learn at that level. I'd love if American goalies were able to play in Europe after their draft year

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Wolf has 3 straight shutouts to start the season. Needs 3 more to tie the all time WHL record held by Carter Hart. Wolf has played 130 career games compared to Hart's 190.

Not only that but he's also managed to also post a 1.000 sv% across those games and a 1.000 hdsv%

Reactions: Kahvi

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Silvertips SG's last 5 seasons + 3 games :

20-21 Wolf : 3-0-0 | 0.00 | 1.000
19-20 Wolf : 34-10-2 | 1.88 | .935
18-19 Wolf : 41-15-4| 1.69 | .936
17-18 Hart : 31-6-4 | 1.60 | .947
16-17 Hart : 32-11-8 1.99 | .927
15-16 Hart : 35-23-4 | 2.04 | .919

Zero cups thou

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
He is seeing 7 shots a period and probably none that are high chance scoring chances. Silvertips play fantastic defense for years. This isn't helping his development at all.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
8-1-0
1.46 GAA
0.949 sv%
3 shutouts

Is he now up there with knight and askarov as a top 5 goalie prospect?

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The Flames haven’t been able to draft & develop a goalie in something like 20 years, feel bad for goalies drafted by them. They’ve had a few blue chippers the last few years too in Gillies and Parsons. Pulling for this kid tho!

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The Flames haven’t been able to draft & develop a goalie in something like 20 years, feel bad for goalies drafted by them. They’ve had a few blue chippers the last few years too in Gillies and Parsons. Pulling for this kid tho!

They haven't really had much success since Mike Vernon who was drafted in 1981. Trevor Kidd hung around in the NHL for a while, but certainly never lived up to his billing. Roloson was great, but his success came after the Flames. Anderson was drafted by the Flames but didn't sign with them.

They've had several first rounders who didn't work out and several other promising prospects who got injured. Their run of bad luck has to end eventually.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
I really think the only reason he dropped so far is because he’s not taller. Knight 6’3, Askarov 6’4, and Wallstedt 6’3. All of them are 1st Round guys but Wolf with the season he had in his draft year, it’s insane that he wasn’t at least a 3rd Round Pick. It could’ve also been scouts thought it was just the team in front of him being really good so his stats are inflated, but I mean cmon he dropped to the 7th? I’m rooting for him to do well in the NHL just so it can validate my opinion of him I had in 2019 lol

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Gopher13

Apr 28, 2020
His numbers are great but he does play for a team defensive organization where goalies have put up fantastic stats during the time they have played there. He is still barely 6' tall and yes that does matter as he progresses up the level of hockey as shooters become better. Size is overrated but stats show it does matter. Smaller goalies are still in the massive minority in the NHL no matter how good they are.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
His numbers are great but he does play for a team defensive organization where goalies have put up fantastic stats during the time they have played there. He is still barely 6' tall and yes that does matter as he progresses up the level of hockey as shooters become better. Size is overrated but stats show it does matter. Smaller goalies are still in the massive minority in the NHL no matter how good they are.

The backup played one game and let in 3 goals on 8 shots I think...

Traditionally Everett plays to win 2-1. This Everett team seems more run and gun than they have had in the past though. Plus scoring in the WHL is sky high this season which makes what he's doing even more incredible IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad