G Dryden McKay - Minnesota State (Mankato) - (Undrafted, 2016)

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
This guy just held Minnesota to 1 Goal last night and he's unsigned.
Just putting a thread here for when he does get signed after the Championship Game:

Let's Discuss.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. He's had a great NCAA career, but he's not big, and he'll be 25 later this year.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Meh. Played behind and overage team that played in a crappy conference. I don't think he'll be anybody's goalie solution.
MNU has beaten Harvard, Notre Dame and Minnesota to get to the final, hardly crappy teams there and McKay was instrumental for them. I would sign him on our team in a heartbeat.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Intriguing prospect for sure. At his age, he’ll be selective of an organization that can fast track him to the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've wondered if the Habs would be in on him, he's named after Ken Dryden so I assume his family is a fan of the Habs. They need a goalie for the ECHL next year assuming Primeau/Poulin is the Laval duo (it's Primeau's last year in the AHL without needing waivers). They have Dobes who I assume plays 1 more year at Ohio St and Dichow who they might bring over this summer or he'll go to the SHL with Frolunda.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I agree, Devon Levi should have won the Hobey Baker this year. He carried that Northeastern squad hard.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings have a great goalie whisperer in Ranford and no prospects distinguishing themselves. I don't know enough about McKay to know if he wants to stay back east, but he could join a young up-and-coming team with no real prospects of note in front of him with a great goalie coach here.

I personally love Parik but I don't see how Dryden would look at a stable of Ingham-Parik-Villalta-Hrenak behind Petersen/Quick and get scared

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Meh. Played behind and overage team that played in a crappy conference. I don't think he'll be anybody's goalie solution.
Every Hobey Baker Winner in recent memory has made the NHL.

I would not be surprised if McKay plays his first NHL game next season or the season after that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Every Hobey Baker Winner in recent memory has made the NHL.

I would not be surprised if McKay plays his first NHL game next season or the season after that.
He's an undersized 24yo senior who routinely faced ~15 shots per game. I'm sure he'll draw some interest as a free agent, but I would not put money on him panning out as an NHLer.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure his agent has got 10 teams wanting to sign him by Monday. Yeah easy competition and not a ton of shots but he's very technically solid from what I have seen in the tournament. Benefit for him is most NHL teams not willing to bring a guy up until he's close to his age so the path to the top could be short in the right situation.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think he signs with Buffalo

Buffalo has two of the better goalie prospects in the NCAA which will both be signed next year

Buffalo spending 3 contracts on NCAA goalies in 2 years would be odd considering they still have luokkennen or however you spell it.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Sounds like a college kid taking a supplement he was allowed to take that happens not to be cool for international hockey competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad