G Damian Clara - Brynäs IF, HockeyAllsvenskan (2023, 60th, ANA)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Should also note he is 6’6”. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is one of the first goalies taken in 2023.
I don’t think so. He wasn’t very good in the Czech u20 league this year. There’s probably 4-5 Czech goalies from the 2005 age group that I would say he’s behind in development. Who knows, maybe he has a great J20 season.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don’t think so. He wasn’t very good in the Czech u20 league this year. There’s probably 4-5 Czech goalies from the 2005 age group that I would say he’s behind in development. Who knows, maybe he has a great J20 season.
Him being so big I think is going to sway alot of scouts - 6'6 is massive. He reminds me of Mads Sogaard. Like you said though - we"ll see

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Him being so big I think is going to sway alot of scouts - 6'6 is massive. He reminds me of Mads Sogaard. Like you said though - we"ll see
I think we will start seeing scouts less and less bias towards tall goalies in the coming drafts because a lot of the best prospects are under 6’2. Sarros is just the beginning, I think guys like Devon Levi can also dominate at that level. Levi and Yaniv Perrets were the top goalies in the NCAA and are both under 6’1. I think as Bernier said, the modern game favours quick foot speed. I still think there will be some bias for some teams, but think it will trend in another direction within the coming drafts. I do think Damian Clara is talented regardless though, so this is no knock on him.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
.866% after 7 games in J20 Nationell, although Färjestad is not the strongest team. His size makes him interesting as mentioned, in the latest draft 3 swe goalies was selected, they were 6'6 x2 and 6'5, might give you a hint

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think you are going to hear much about him... He undisputedly has size but is also currently much worse at hockey than his contemporaries. Otherwise, he would probably be playing in AlpsHL over Simon Wolf... But he might still get picked at the draft for his size alone much like Kevin Reidler did but everyone understands that's just a shot in the dark with these huge kids.

I don't doubt he will reach the Italian NT level eventually, though.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
I heard last year he needs to significantly improve on his mobility and flexibility. I just hope he can do this step this year in Sweden.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
.866% after 7 games in J20 Nationell, although Färjestad is not the strongest team. His size makes him interesting as mentioned, in the latest draft 3 swe goalies was selected, they were 6'6 x2 and 6'5, might give you a hint
Now it looks better with the save percentage, he collected some wins with the junior team and he appeared as backup during a SHL game.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

I’d also like to point out that he is the youngest player EVER to be named to a world championship team.

He represented Italy at the 2020-21 World Championship at 16 years and 128 days old. Insane - even if he was ”only” the third goalie.

Also he should get into some SHL games this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
He made his debut last Wednesday in the Allsvenskan with BIK Karlskoga earning his first career win ever .

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Wow that escalated quickly, listed in the 1st round at #32 of this ranking:

From "maybe someone takes a late-round flyer because that size is unique" to "doing well in a few Allsvenskan games he played so he is getting drafted" to "late 1st, early 2nd territory" in a span of half a season.

Out of curiosity, what's the highest-drafted Italian ever? I assume there have been some.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

From "maybe someone takes a late-round flyer because that size is unique" to "doing well in a few Allsvenskan games he played so he is getting drafted" to "late 1st, early 2nd territory" in a span of half a season.

Out of curiosity, what's the highest-drafted Italian ever? I assume there have been some.
Don't get me wrong, the list has 2 Czechs going in round 1 and that is great! But it's also the first list that has Hrabal going before Sale. I'd be fine with it but unique.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I like what I've seen from him. Didn't expect him to rise to first round status but being 6'6 and having success at the pro level will do just that. Good for him.

Hallzy

Mar 18, 2022

He would be the first drafted player to be born in Italy

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
He would be the first drafted player to be born in Italy
Not true. Luca Sbisa was born in Italy, though he grew up in Switzerland.

To my knowledge, the only Italian-trained player to be drafted is Thomas Larkin.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Glad I’m not the only one who sees it with Clara.

I am not a good goalie evaluator by any means - but I see something with this kid. he just has that swagger.

I was hoping the Habs could get Hrabal and Bjarnason in the late 1st or early 2nd.. and then snag Clara in the mid rounds. Guess that might not happen, now.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad