G Damian Clara - Brynäs IF, HockeyAllsvenskan (2023, 60th, ANA)

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Not true. Luca Sbisa was born in Italy, though he grew up in Switzerland.

To my knowledge, the only Italian-trained player to be drafted is Thomas Larkin.
There is one more. Thomas DiPauli. Born in Italy, started in Italy playing hockey, moved to the USA, drafted by the Capitals, played two games for the Pens.

Teaspoon salami

Oct 6, 2019
Picked up his first win for the Italian Mens NT today in a 5-2 win over South Korea.

He had 23 saves for a .920sv%.

He made the mens NT for the World Championshop as a 16 year old but didn’t play a game.

I’m telling you - many are sleeping on this kid.
I agree, he is quite talented and isn't mentioned often.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Picked up his first win for the Italian Mens NT today in a 5-2 win over South Korea.

He had 23 saves for a .920sv%.

He made the mens NT for the World Championshop as a 16 year old but didn’t play a game.

I’m telling you - many are sleeping on this kid.

I hope they keep sleeping and the Habs can nab him at high value.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He is playing for Italy at the D1A WC. Italy has a chance at getting promoted to the top division.

Clara has split games with former OHL goalie Justin Fabio and posted the better totals through one game a piece, posting a .947sv% compared to Fazio’s .889sv%.

If anyone wants to get a look at my Favourite goalie in this class against some pretty high level competition, the D1A WC is where you can Catch Clara.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He is playing for Italy at the D1A WC. Italy has a chance at getting promoted to the top division.

Clara has split games with former OHL goalie Justin Fabio and posted the better totals through one game a piece, posting a .947sv% compared to Fazio’s .889sv%.

If anyone wants to get a look at my Favourite goalie in this class against some pretty high level competition, the D1A WC is where you can Catch Clara.
Clara has all the makings of an elite goalie. Tall, athletic, sick glove, etc. Super underrated.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How do you know Montreal is interested? Do you have any private source for that?

I don't no.. just seems like the type of goalie they'd be interested in. Goaltender with size and athleticism, coming from one of the less traditional countries and could be had in the mid rounds.

Gianpaolo

Jan 28, 2006
Maybe somebody who knows the Swedish league can answer this question: as an import but NHL selected young player, how many chances may Clara have to get regular TOI at senior level in SHL and/or Hockeyallsvenskan?

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Maybe somebody who knows the Swedish league can answer this question: as an import but NHL selected young player, how many chances may Clara have to get regular TOI at senior level in SHL and/or Hockeyallsvenskan?

Färjestad has Matt Tomkins signed as starter and is rumored to sign swedish world jr-goalie Carl Lindbom who was great in Hockeyallsvenskan this year. Getting games in Hockeyallsvenskan would be ideal for Clara but I could see him playing in J20 Nationell next season again.

Edit: Signed with Tampa Bay

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if he looks at N/A next season if he can’t get time in one of the Swedish Mens Leagues.

He would be highly coveted in the CHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't think being an import and drafted really has much to do with his usage, it applies to any number of guys, your Bichsels and Pastrnaks. If he's good he will play.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Played for Italy yesterday against Lithuania in the World DI A Championship tournament and saw that he's ranked 6th amongst European goalies according to Central Scouting.

Like Devils' goalie Akira Schmid he is a large man.

At this point in his development, he does not play with the same patience as Schmid and often makes big moves; leaving large areas of the net open at times.

His tool set is interesting.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The CHL import draft is in June. Have any clubs shown interest?
It kinda depends if he has shown any interest in moving to the CHL, doesn't it? And I assume staying in Sweden is his first option. He can always get a loan to Allsvenskan if the crease at Farjestad is too cramped.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Didn't play in final game vs. England as Italy went with one time Sarnia Sting goalie Justin Fazio (lost 5-3).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Confirmed loan to Brynas in the Allsvenskan next year. Interesting that he will be the backup to Lindback (former Nashville Predator) and physically they are very similar. Less confusion to the goalie coach I suppose :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad