G Colton Point (2016, 128th, DAL)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He plays for the Carleton Place Canadians in the CCHL, and has good size at 6"4. His stats are a little unimpressive so far, 2.55 GAA and .895 SV% but he has a 12-2 record with 2 shutouts.

What's really interesting about him is that he had one of the best games ever last playoffs, like any league ever. He stopped 107 of 109 shots in a triple-OT win. Ken Appleby (memorial cup winner) who trains with him had a lot of good stuff to say about him, saying "I've skated with Colton before and seen his work so I know it's something he's definitely capable of".

https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/colton-points-107-save-performance-impresses-goalie-fraternity-20084

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=275708

I've only been able to see him play once, so I can't provide too much insight on his game but I was hoping more people could provide insight. Do you think he'll be drafted? He's committed to play hockey at Colgate University following next season.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He turned 18 yesterday, and he's probably been the best goaltender in the CCHL this season. I think he's had a good enough season that at 6"4 he'll likely get drafted. Any opinions on this guy? I think it's possible he plays for Erie next season in the OHL

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I'm seeing Carleton a few times in the next few weeks, as they're the only team in the CCHL with players that have s good chance of getting drafted.

RoR21

May 24, 2011
I'm seeing Carleton a few times in the next few weeks, as they're the only team in the CCHL with players that have s good chance of getting drafted.

Pretty much there aren't very many every year. I'd say Brett Murray's the only lock with a chance for Point.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Any word on how he looked?

His stats certainly look impressive right now.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=275708

Very raw. Has decent athleticism for a big guy but is playing behind a stingy CPC defense. He's playing well in a league that's notoriously bad for goaltenders numbers (due to roster turnover on any given night and poor depth). Has quite a bit of upside but will likely need at least 3 years in college.

I'm a fan.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I guess I'll bump this thread one last time haha..

He's changed his commitment with Colgate to the 2016-17 season after the season he had, originally he was supposed to play the following year.

For the regular season, he was named to the all rookie team in the CCHL and had the best GAA in the league (he also had the highest GAA in the GNML the year prior). He finished the season with an absurd playoffs, posting a 1.8 GAA and a .933 SV% in 16 games, winning the CCHL championship, and the MVP. He's now ranked 4th among CSS for NA goalies. He's also the guy that stopped 107 shots in a triple overtime win, and he has fantastic size at 6"4.

Where do you see him going in the draft? I've been a fan for a while so I probably overestimate him, but I see him as a legit 3rd/4th round pick now.

Hoganer13

Mar 13, 2016
Im from Smiths Falls, but unfortunately have been away at school all year so I wasn't able to watch any of the CJHL this year. I have been following a bit and noticed hes had a pretty solid year and the playoffs have been even more impressive. Clearly catching scouts eyes by climbing up the ranks like he has. I predict a could goalies going in the 2nd round. SO if things go in order I could see him definitely going in the 3rd/4th round. I personally think he will go in the fourth or fifth but who really knows. Good on the guy!

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/point-gets-hockey-canada-invite-308424

Invited to Hockey Canada camp for U18/U20. I can't remember the last time a CCHL goalie had a chance at representing Canada in either WJC, but I haven't been following the league for very long.

Either way, it's crazy to see the progression this kid has made in one year.

He won't be in the CCHL if he represents Canada at the WJC. He'll be with Colgate University next season. He only stayed in the CCHL because he didn't want to play in Erie for whatever reason.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think Dallas got pretty good value at 128th overall, he has as high an upside as any goalie in this draft.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/point-gets-hockey-canada-invite-308424

Invited to Hockey Canada camp for U18/U20. I can't remember the last time a CCHL goalie had a chance at representing Canada in either WJC, but I haven't been following the league for very long.

Either way, it's crazy to see the progression this kid has made in one year.

This is the goalie camp, and there's 34 goalies there. So at most you can say Hockey Canada think he's one the 34 best in the age range. Not meaning to tarnish the accomplishment, as he has every reason to be proud. But it's not the same as being invited to the camp for the world junior team.

Peeps

May 24, 2017
He was the best goalie of Colgate U, but was the #2 this year since they have a 24 years old senior. This team was really bad and he still showed good stats.

He will be #1 next year, so more ice time for him.

Does anyone see him go beyond NCAA? Anyone have seen him played?

Thank you!

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He was the best goalie of Colgate U, but was the #2 this year since they have a 24 years old senior. This team was really bad and he still showed good stats.

He will be #1 next year, so more ice time for him.

Does anyone see him go beyond NCAA? Anyone have seen him played?

Thank you!

Yeah he seemed to out play their number 1 but didn't get the starts. As a stars fan I hope he gets most all starts this year and keeps it up. Would be fun to have an actual solid goalie in the pipeline

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
Looks like he's off to a great start this season according to EP (7 GP, 1.09 GAA, .964 SV%). Anyone who has watched him, is he playing as great as his stats indicate?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Bumping this hopefully for a Colgate fan to jump in.

But right now after 8 games he is at 1.08 GAA and 0.965 on a Colgate team that still doesnt seem to be great. He has the top save % in the entire NCAA and looks to be killing it. At this rate he has to get an invite to the Canadian juniors camp this year

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Bumping this hopefully for a Colgate fan to jump in.

But right now after 8 games he is at 1.08 GAA and 0.965 on a Colgate team that still doesnt seem to be great. He has the top save % in the entire NCAA and looks to be killing it. At this rate he has to get an invite to the Canadian juniors camp this year

He would get an invite if a) Hockey Canada acknowledged goalies outside of the CHL and b) Point didn't go to a USA Hockey goalie camp in the summer

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
He would get an invite if a) Hockey Canada acknowledged goalies outside of the CHL and b) Point didn't go to a USA Hockey goalie camp in the summer

Didnt realize that. Saw he played for a team Canada at a U18 tournament and figured he comitted to Canada

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Colgate fan here (and thread starter!), what he's done so far is amazing, exceeded all expectations. There's no other NHL prospects on our roster and we went 9-22-6 last season, and this year we're getting top-20 votes because of him. He's been an absolute wall in the games I've seen. He hasn't given up more than 2 in a game, and he had a shutout last weekend and only gave up 1 goal to #11 Quinnipiac.

If you check Colgate Men's Hockey twitter account you can see a lot of his highlights. Ppl were expecting him to stay 4 years here but who knows at this point

Last edited:

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Colgate fan here (and thread starter!), what he's done so far is amazing, exceeded all expectations. There's no other NHL prospects on our roster and we went 9-22-6 and last season, this year we're getting top-20 votes because of him. He's been an absolute wall in the games I've seen. He hasn't given up more than 2 in a game, and he had a shutout last weekend and only gave up 1 goal to #11 Quinnipiac.

If you check Colgate Men's Hockey twitter account you can see a lot of his highlights. Ppl were expecting him to stay 4 years here but who knows at this point

If he keeps these numbers up all year and with our current state of net minding in the AHL I feel like you guys might lose him next year. We have trash int he AHL and Lehtonen is expiring. If he is as good as his numbers suggest (I really hope so) he could easily take our AHL starting job and probably fight to backup Bishop

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad