Prospect Info: G Colten Ellis - Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL (2019, 93rd, STL)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I just watched his game against drummondville a few months ago. Completely blown away. He has that same feel/IQ as Binnington in terms of reading the play and anticipating. He’s explosive side to side like Binnington and has the ability to go down and back on his feet in the blink of the eye, doesn’t fall on his chest a la Elliott and Allen. I really like his style of goaltending. Solid mix of Fundamental mechanics w/ athletecism and a hockey brain.

It literally felt like watching binner 2.0. I’m seriously excited for this kid. And I usually never care about goalies until they’re in their early 20’s

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

Honestly pretty pathetic draft coverage by the Blues this year. It’s a nit-pick, but people like me want to see interviews like these, and having to go dig through Ellis’ junior team’s profile to find it is kind of ridiculous.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

Honestly pretty pathetic draft coverage by the Blues this year. It’s a nit-pick, but people like me want to see interviews like these, and having to go dig through Ellis’ junior team’s profile to find it is kind of ridiculous.

I agree, but maybe the team employees are still hungover.

I'm don't follow prospects much but I am encouraged by the comments here so far.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
There were probably a lot of team employees that would have normally had a vacation, who didn’t due to the late playoff run. It’s a nice problem to have as a fan, but I don’t begrudge the team half-asking the draft coverage this year. There were also simply less players and less prominent picks to report on, and other than we few diehards there may not be a lot of interest.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
via the Draft Analyst (Steve):

Colten Ellis (Rimouski Oceanic, QMJHL)
46gp, 27-15-0, 2.47 GAA, .910 SVPCT | 6’1, 182 | 10/5/00 | Catches Left | Whycocomagh, NS
One of the QMJHL’s more successful goalies, Ellis was the critical piece in Rimouski’s stingy defenses. Mature and eager to improve, Ellis plays calm and poised in the crease. He is one of the more technically-sound butterfly goalies produced by the QMJHL in recent years, mostly because he mostly has a strong idea where the net is no matter the situation. In times of obvious desperation, Ellis remains in control and ensures every gap is plugged, even on second-chance attempts from in close. He too spends most of his matches inside the crease, with his fade back into the blue paint methodical.
Ellis uses the VH for play below the circles, but he should use the RVH more often since he looks to have mastered it the few times he uses it. Ellis has excellent rebound control, specifically when facing high-danger shots towards the upper half from straight away. This is part of his solid anticipation skills, confidence in his glove and blocker hands, and a willingness to prepare before games — if he gets beaten high early, he rarely gets beaten a second time.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks for sharing this video. The kid seems very mature for his age.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Had a poor showing at the summer showcase, but it was only 60 minutes worth of game time in all (across 2 matches), and his team let him down on multiple occasions.

Hope he has a strong start to the season and leads Canada in goal at the WJC.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don’t expect him to be the starter. I think he goes as the third goalie this year with an eye on starting next year.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Ellis is a late 2000 birth so this is his last year of WJC eligibility.

It’s his last year and he had the best year last year of all of Canada’s potential starting goaltenders.

In particular his numbers blew Rodrigue out of the water.

That said he had one bad half-game at the WJSS so he will need a very good start to this year in order to grab the starting role.

GrayZack

Jul 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Things are looking good. Colten from my wifes home town, extremely small little place not far from the home town of Al Mcinnis. Everyone extremely happy for Ellis

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-210532_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-210532_Facebook.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad