G Carl Tetachuk - Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL (2019 Draft)

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Under the radar goalie who has surged the last half of the season. Once Liam Hughes, the goalie the Hurricanes acquired at the trade deadline left, Tetachuk has been given full reigns of the net and has seized the opportunity. Since his departure on January 21, Tetachuk has gone 13-4-2. Most recently was named the WHL Rookie of the month in February posting a 7-3-2 record along with .910Sv% and 2.83GAA. His numbers are significantly better than the other goalies the offensive-minded Hurricanes have dressed this year. Currently 2nd in the WHL in wins for rookies.

23-9-2, 2.87GAA, .909SV%, 2 SO

With a deep playoff push, anyone think he could find himself on NHL draft boards?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Undrafted bantam draft guy who has come from nowhere to take the #1 job as a rookie and had a really nice season, so you have to like his development curve.

That said, same issue as Wolf and Maier in that he’s well undersized for the position in today’s NHL. Might get picked in the late rounds.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Under the radar goalie who has surged the last half of the season. Once Liam Hughes, the goalie the Hurricanes acquired at the trade deadline left, Tetachuk has been given full reigns of the net and has seized the opportunity. Since his departure on January 21, Tetachuk has gone 13-4-2. Most recently was named the WHL Rookie of the month in February posting a 7-3-2 record along with .910Sv% and 2.83GAA. His numbers are significantly better than the other goalies the offensive-minded Hurricanes have dressed this year. Currently 2nd in the WHL in wins for rookies.

23-9-2, 2.87GAA, .909SV%, 2 SO

With a deep playoff push, anyone think he could find himself on NHL draft boards?

I think he's more of a camp invite, right now I'm not seeing anything particularly special that I can't get for free in free agency. But having Cozens on his team is going to help. He'll get a lot of free looks. Possible, but again I don't think this is the year for him, and that doesn't mean it's over for him. Martin Jones never got drafted his year either and was later signed despite having decent numbers as well. Though Jones to me had more of the full package and did a lot of things really well.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
So many good goalies in the WHL this year.

See, I totally disagree. I had the same discussion with another person I think on the Sogaard thread, and while I think the numbers are there for a lot of guys, I don't necessarily see a ton of NHL potential. What we're seeing with some of these good goalie numbers is in my mind more to do with parity issues due to a growing lack of interest in hockey in the draft-zone, and better overall coaching for the position, and while yes there are more kids that are better than what we saw 10 years ago at the position, the bar, globally has been raised and I'm not seeing a ton here that makes me go, this kid is going to be special, the way I was with Hart, Kuemper, or even to list someone who ultimately crashed and burned, Tokarski.

Every year there are really great goalie performances in the WHL, and very few of those guys are legit NHL prospects. Look at Kozun and he had some talent too. Kid put up decent numbers for multiple seasons, even won the Del Wilson and never even got picked up. It's an oversaturated profession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad