G Carl Stankowski - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2018 Draft)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I figured Id make a thread about this kid. He has been the talk of the WHL playoffs so far and has taken the league by storm. It's been a great story and almost like a Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady type story lol

Stankowski made the Tbirds as a 16 year old but was hurt majority of the regular season. He only played 7 games out of a possible 72 games in the regular season. He came back late in the year and finished the regular season with 3 wins, 13 goals against for a 2.88 GAA and a 0.910 SV%.

Now comes the Cinderella story part. Seattle's 20 year old top goalie gets hurt a little bit before the playoffs and Seattle is forced to roll with this small 16 year old goalie with not much experience and that didn't play too much due to an injury. Many believed this year is Seattle's year to win it all but everyone cant help be nervous cause they have to roll with such a young goalie. Playoffs are about to start and then comes the news that Stankowski will get game 1 start due to their top guys still hurt....

Anyways fast forward a bit.. Seattle is currently in the league finals VS Regina. Stankowski was in net when they swept Tri City, swept a league favorite Everett Silvertips, beat another league favorite Kelowna Rockets 4 games to 2 and now are currently tied with Regina 2-2 in a best of 7 series. Sure Seattle is a good team, but he has been tested ALOT and has stood on his head every game. He has been unbelievable and has stole some games this playoffs.

He is currently 14-2-2 these playoffs with a 2.42 GAA and a 0.913 SV%. He and Reginas goalie are neck and neck with GAA and SV%.

After each series, the same thing keeps getting said in interviews/articles... that Stankowski is the MVP of that particular series....

anyways, his knock is he is small. I keep being told he is 5'10, but hockeydb and stuff state he is only 5'9. Regardless he is still quite small, but doesn't play like it cause his athleticism is extremely high and just moves around so quickly. Ill be curious if he grows much more before next season

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I've liked what I've in the playoffs so far, seems to be a gamer. Makes saves in timely moments.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I've liked what I've in the playoffs so far, seems to be a gamer. Makes saves in timely moments.

im not one that can evaluate goalies well but its crazy watching how well he handles all shots so there are never rebounds... rebound control is insane

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
As always the playoffs provide some nice goalie stories and Stankowski is one of them. It's never easy for a rookie goalie to come into any pressure situation and it's worse in the WHL that is not very forgiving to rookie goalies. He's earned the praise he has received by being very consistent game-to-game. He's exactly what Seattle needs in net. I'm selfishly hoping for Seattle to make it into the Memorial Cup to get a better look at him.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Unreal game once again last night leading Seattle to a huge game 5 win.

There is no way he is actually in his 16 year old rookie season in the league lol... There has gotta be a mistake hahah

He got peppered with shots in the 3rd period when Regina was pushing to score yet calmly just kept stopping the puck. It was unbelievable to witness and i was in complete awe

Oct 18, 2011
Ive been watching the series and he's been good he could have a growth spurt left so his height shouldn't be a big deal yet. He's quick.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
Unreal game once again last night leading Seattle to a huge game 5 win.

There is no way he is actually in his 16 year old rookie season in the league lol... There has gotta be a mistake hahah

He got peppered with shots in the 3rd period when Regina was pushing to score yet calmly just kept stopping the puck. It was unbelievable to witness and i was in complete awe

He made 19/20 saves in the 3rd, including a golden opportunity on a breakaway by Wagner.

His penalty shot save in game 3, even though it was a loss, was the highlight of the game. I didn't see a single fan leave ShoWare upset after that save.

A lot of us TBirds fans are upset that guys like Eansor (undrafted FA), Barzal (NYI), Gropp (NYR), Bear (EDM), and Kolesar (CBJ) are in their last season, it is very exciting to see kids like Stankowski and Moilanen on the rise.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
He made 19/20 saves in the 3rd, including a golden opportunity on a breakaway by Wagner.

His penalty shot save in game 3, even though it was a loss, was the highlight of the game. I didn't see a single fan leave ShoWare upset after that save.

A lot of us TBirds fans are upset that guys like Eansor (undrafted FA), Barzal (NYI), Gropp (NYR), Bear (EDM), and Kolesar (CBJ) are in their last season, it is very exciting to see kids like Stankowski and Moilanen on the rise.

Here are arguably his two biggest saves of this series:

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Watched him sweep my Silvertips. I'd say he's the 3rd best goalie in the WHL after Hart and Ingram (counting not just performances this season, but overall potential and all that) Only thing holding him back from NHL stardom is his size.

The crazy thing is it's not like one could make the argument that he plays behind a stacked Thunderbirds team. He makes a lot of huge saves himself and his just overall an incredibly reliable goaltender.

And I hate saying this because the Thunderbirds are our biggest rivals.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Watched him sweep my Silvertips. I'd say he's the 3rd best goalie in the WHL after Hart and Ingram (counting not just performances this season, but overall potential and all that) Only thing holding him back from NHL stardom is his size.

The crazy thing is it's not like one could make the argument that he plays behind a stacked Thunderbirds team. He makes a lot of huge saves himself and his just overall an incredibly reliable goaltender.

And I hate saying this because the Thunderbirds are our biggest rivals.

exactly this... he actually stole some games for the Tbirds this playoffs

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kid is incredibly talented but it's gonna be tough for him to make it in the current NHL. He's going to have to kick the doors down all the way there to even get a shot.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Reminds me of DiPietro but slightly smaller so will likely be plagued by the same issues. Tracks the puck extremely well, good rebound control and excellent agility.

Perfect example of size issue is the 2nd goal from Erie today. Legs aren't long enough to be sprawled out and cover post to post.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Kept Seattle in this game. TBirds were extremely flat today and once again Carl kept them in it. Been the story of the playoffs for Seattle. Could have easily been 4-0 after the first today

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad