G Cal Petersen - Notre Dame, NCAA (2013, 129th overall, Buffalo, UFA Signing with LA)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's having a hell of a freshman season of late, splitting starts early on but he's taken over the job. Named back-to-back Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week on February 9th and 16th. Named Hockey East Player of the Week on Feb 23rd. Named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for February.

Opening playoff game between Notre Dame and UMass is heading into its 5th overtime. Petersen has 78 saves and 3 goals allowed. The NCAA record for saves in a game is said to be 80 (was reported earlier as 76 -- edit: now they're saying he's tied the record at 78). The kid is just playing fantastic lately.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
In the 5th OT his Fighting Irish lose the longest game in NCAA history after a record-setting 87 saves. Let's see what these kids have in the tank at 7 PM tonight. :laugh:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Cal Petersen sets NCAA record for single game saves (87)

And lost :( :laugh:

The opposing goalie had 75 saves.

He's having a pretty decent year, 2.32 and .927.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=154539

Notre Dame freshman goaltender Calvin Petersen, a 2013 draft pick by the Buffalo Sabres, set an NCAA single-game record Friday by making 87 saves, but it wasn't enough to win the longest game in college hockey history.

Shane Walsh scored 11:42 into the fifth overtime to give Massachusetts (11-21-2) a 4-3 victory and a 1-0 lead in their best-of-three, first-round Hockey East playoff series, which continues Saturday at South Bend, Ind.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=757055

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's a Sabres prospect there's no reason to talk about him until he's traded to another team.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It has more to do with the NCAA than anything else. NCAA prospects do not get the same attention as CHL prospects in general, plus Cal's a freshman 5th rounder.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Watched him play against BC the other day. Kid had like 54 saves. Came away very impressed!

I saw that one as well. He was locked in. I remember seeing him in person at Sabres Dev Camp in the summer of '13 after we drafted him. His raw talent was immediately impressive, but there was an emphasis on raw in my mind. Having seen a good number of Notre Dame games over the course of the season he's really been polishing his game. Poised, tracks the puck, has good positioning, etc. You can't ever tell with goalie prospects outside of the Prices and Vasilevskis, but he's a legitimate prospect.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Or Winnipeg. He would be Winnipeg's 7th future Vezina winning goaltender.

Like we were pumping the tires of Kasdorf before we traded him to the Sabres? Or Phillips?:rolleyes:

Maybe, and this is a HUGE maybe, people aren't talking about Petersen because he plays in the NCAA, doesn't have amazing stats, and isn't close to graduating?

ZeroPT*

Like we were pumping the tires of Kasdorf before we traded him to the Sabres? Or Phillips?:rolleyes:

Maybe, and this is a HUGE maybe, people aren't talking about Petersen because he plays in the NCAA, doesn't have amazing stats, and isn't close to graduating?

his numbers are pretty damn awesome for a freshman starter if you ask me

ZeroPT*

great last few months for Petersen. Always did think he had NHL potential.

Excited to see where he ends up.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
his numbers are pretty damn awesome for a freshman starter if you ask me

:dunno:

They're good. Nothing amazing. For example, newly acquired Sabres prospect, Jason Kasdorf, had a .935 season in his freshman year. Though he only played in 23 games, compared to Petersen who will play roughly 30 this season I believe.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Thought it would be necessary to point out that Petersen is stepping into the AHL nicely, as he has played 394 minutes and leads the league in GAA (1.37) and SV% (.947), with a QS% ~86%.

Reactions: Chainshot

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Definitely an under-the-radar signing, could be seen in a few years as the same quality of "free agent NCAA" signing as the likes of Will Butcher and Alex Kerfoot - goalies obviously just have a much longer road to the show. There's a reason he got named to the Team USA IIHF team and was the captain at Notre Dame as a junior goalie. Interesting that the Kings just re-signed Campbell for two years as well though and Kuemper is playing well as Quick's backup.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
One thing about him that strikes me, is how he went through the record consecutive game started streak 87 (?) in Notre Dame and held up the statistics he had, while being Captain for a good chunk of that duration. I see a work horse goaltender there.

No slight to Buffalo, but he also came to LA because of the goaltending coaches there, which displays a drive for improvement in himself. I see a goalie that maintains an impressive mental fortitude as well, which is a huge attribute pertaining to goalies in the modern NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad