G Benjamin Conz - HC Fribourg-Gottéron, NLA (2009 undrafted)

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
He had a great WJC but has had very little to no talk since then. I remember watching him and while he made a few good saves and played very well in the tournament, he really didn't impress me that much. What is he projected to be as a goalie? Will he even be drafted and if so what round? And finally, any comparisons aside from the ones made at the WJC between him and Giggy?

Handlanger

Mar 28, 2008
He had a great WJC but has had very little to no talk since then. I remember watching him and while he made a few good saves and played very well in the tournament, he really didn't impress me that much. What is he projected to be as a goalie? Will he even be drafted and if so what round? And finally, any comparisons aside from the ones made at the WJC between him and Giggy?

IMHO - some team will draft him - but I doubt he'll ever see NHL action... or at least not as a starter.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Nobody drafted him. Thinks he gets an invite to some teams camp?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I would imagine he gets an invite to atleast try out in the AHL. If not I'm sure he could get a job in the SEL or a Euro league. He could be a star in the Swiss league.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Hes too small at 5'10 to be a good goaltender.

He's 5'11. Numerous goalies under 6 feet have won the vezina. A guy listed at 5'11(he's not really 5'11) won the vezina 2 seasons ago.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I would imagine he gets an invite to atleast try out in the AHL. If not I'm sure he could get a job in the SEL or a Euro league. He could be a star in the Swiss league.

SEL is absolutely stacked with goalies these days, so many own juniors coming up. The two drafted Swedish goalies this year play in the tier2 and Conz is in all likelyhood worse than them.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He´s already played 20 or more games in the Swiss league in both 08/09 and 09/10. :huh:

Well I know that, I guess I meant the KHL and SEL. I know he has played in the Swiss league, but his numbers aren't/weren't exactly flattering. They could be with more experience though.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Well I know that, I guess I meant the KHL and SEL. I know he has played in the Swiss league, but his numbers aren't/weren't exactly flattering. They could be with more experience though.

However you also said that he could be a star in the Swiss league, which he obviously wasn´t. It would be stupid of him to go to the SEL or KHL right now as both leagues either have better home young goalies or can afford more experienced foreign goalie, so the only thing that Conz would probably be doing there is warming the bench. While on the other hand in the Swiss league he should have a shot at becoming the No. 1 goalie maybe already this season. (not sure about the goalie situation in his team)

As for his number, I strongly suspect that it also has to dowith the fact that his team was one of the weakest in the league and even played in the relegation roudn of the Swiss league.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
However you also said that he could be a star in the Swiss league, which he obviously wasn´t. It would be stupid of him to go to the SEL or KHL right now as both leagues either have better home young goalies or can afford more experienced foreign goalie, so the only thing that Conz would probably be doing there is warming the bench. While on the other hand in the Swiss league he should have a shot at becoming the No. 1 goalie maybe already this season. (not sure about the goalie situation in his team)

As for his number, I strongly suspect that it also has to dowith the fact that his team was one of the weakest in the league and even played in the relegation roudn of the Swiss league.

Exactly...i said COULD BE....not WAS. You know, in the future....

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I bet he gets a few tryouts but based on how he was received at the draft, I think they must know something about him that we don't.

Probably because of his style. The David Aebischer/Jonas Hiller fall on ever shot style. He's not big enough to make that type of goaltending "efficient"

Come to think of it, seems to be a Swiss thing :laugh:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
There are other threads on this already.

To sum it up...

1. Too small.

2. Didn't play all that well outside the WJHC.

Oshie

Feb 9, 2010
Saskatoon
Exactly what is said ^^^ there. Way to small. And the only reason that he stood out was because world juniors and on his team he wasn't that great. Maybe someone could take a chance at this guy and pick him up for a cheap contract but I doubt that.

devilman

Feb 27, 2002
Burn Berne
He did allright with his team. He played in the Swiss National League for SCL Tigers, one of the weakest teams in this league with a very sloppy defense. He helped to prevent this team to get relegated to the 2nd highest Swiss League.
He was loaned from Geneva to the Tigers, because Tobias Stephan is the clear #1 goalie for this team.
He now has a contract with the Tigers next season, let him time to develop. He maybe will be a good pickup for NA when more seasoned (see Martin Gerber's bio).

ruski17

Jun 7, 2010
Montreal
Benjamin Conz

Technically he isn't a prospect since he went undrafted this year which begs the question: Why didn't he get drafted? I remember him being stellar in the U20 tournament and thought he'd be a pick for sure. Anything reason why he wasn't drafted or is it the case of him being second on everbody's list and passing him over for someone else they preffered a bit more? He should have at least of been a 7th round pick.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Technically he isn't a prospect since he went undrafted this year which begs the question: Why didn't he get drafted? I remember him being stellar in the U20 tournament and thought he'd be a pick for sure. Anything reason why he wasn't drafted or is it the case of him being second on everbody's list and passing him over for someone else they preffered a bit more? He should have at least of been a 7th round pick.

At that size, you need to have extreme quickness in hands and feet to become anything in modern goaltending, so I guess there's your answer right there. Not enough skill to make up for the lack of size.

ruski17

Jun 7, 2010
Montreal
At that size, you need to have extreme quickness in hands and feet to become anything in modern goaltending, so I guess there's your answer right there. Not enough skill to make up for the lack of size.

There are quite a few 5'11 goalies so I don't really think his size is much of an issue. Halak is the same height, Bernier too, Enroth too, and a few other goalies. If I was a GM, I would at least take a shot on Conz because he and Nino led the Swiss team to a 4th place finish in the U20.

Masochist Caniac

Because at some point you learn to love the pain
Apr 28, 2009
Toronto, CAN
There are quite a few 5'11 goalies so I don't really think his size is much of an issue. Halak is the same height, Bernier too, Enroth too, and a few other goalies. If I was a GM, I would at least take a shot on Conz because he and Nino led the Swiss team to a 4th place finish in the U20.

Halak is quick, Conz isn't. He's a decent technical goalie, but most scouts feel he lacks the athleticism and the size to be an NHL goalie. I don't really agree with the Giguere comparisons. Giguere made up for speed and athleticism by reading the play well and always being in the right position, making his speed a non-factor.

I don't think Conz is nearly as technically sound, or even comes close to the understanding of the game that Giguere possesses. Someone will take a flyer on him, whether it be a tryout or a minor league contract, but in a position where every new kid is bigger, faster, stronger and more technically sound, it's difficult for smaller, slower kids to get by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad