G Ben Blacker - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, USHL (2015 undrafted)

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
I saw that Ryan Kennedy from The Hockey News listed this guy in Hot List from October 28. He's off to a great start (.951 SV%, 1.71 GAA thru 7 GP), but he is short for a goaltender (5'9"). What do you think about his draft prospects?

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
He went to the USHL?

I saw him in an OJHL game last year, couldn't believe he was 16 years old at the time. Excellent goalie

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I live in Cedar Rapids and can tell you he is a flat out stud for his size. One of the quickest goalies I have ever seen in Cedar Rapids and that includes Alex Stalock and Richard Bachman. If he had better size he would be a highly sought after goalie in the 2015 NHL draft.

Here is an article from the Cedar Rapids gazette where he explains his reasoning for the USHL and NCAA route.

http://thegazette.com/subject/sport...ker-appears-to-have-head-on-straight-20141010

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I've always thought that after next season Steelheads (or another OHL) team should trade for him and try to convince him to come play. Not sure how strong his committment is to Western Michigan but we've seen undersized goalies become successful in the OHL and go on to decent careers in pro hockey.

Hopefully he gets drafted.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I've always thought that after next season Steelheads (or another OHL) team should trade for him and try to convince him to come play. Not sure how strong his committment is to Western Michigan but we've seen undersized goalies become successful in the OHL and go on to decent careers in pro hockey.

Hopefully he gets drafted.

I would think it could get real interesting when the OHL draft rolls around. His brother Ian is considered to be a high draft choice this spring. I wonder if Ben would be persuaded by the team that drafts Ian to go the OHL route.

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
You dont see alot of short goalies but that doesn't mean they arent in the league because they aren't tall.
Here's a few names of guys you will know.
Osgood
Richter
Vanbiesbrouck
Nabakov
Halak

Ace88*

Goaltender imo is the easiest position in hockey to overcome size via play style. Interested in this guy, rooting for him

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
I got to watch him play a lot last year with the Milton Icehawks. Looked like something special from the start. Great kid, battler in the crease, glove hand is similar to Carey Price. Facing 50 shots a night last year gave him a crap load of practice for his transition to the USHL.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I guess the first thing that stands out is he is undersized. He is extremely quick, very square to the shooter, and has an extremely high compete level. He is shouldering most the load in net as the other returning goalie, Ryan Larkin, had season ending hip surgery.

He is 13-7-1 with a 2.45 GAA and a .920 Save Percentage.

Extremely High Character kid

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
I guess the first thing that stands out is he is undersized. He is extremely quick, very square to the shooter, and has an extremely high compete level. He is shouldering most the load in net as the other returning goalie, Ryan Larkin, had season ending hip surgery.

He is 13-7-1 with a 2.45 GAA and a .920 Save Percentage.

Extremely High Character kid
Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad