G Arvid Soderblom - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2017 undrafted)

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Has anyone seen the kid play that can comment on his development, style, etc..?

He was mentioned in Friedman's 31 thoughts this week, and id assume there will be quite a few teams involved with discussions with him.

thanks

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
how come he was never drafted or signed?

He was draft eligible through 2020, so this would be the first season where he could sign as an undrafted free agent. I'd venture a guess that it's a mix between him not playing in the SHL full time until this season and NHL teams usually not drafting 20/21 year old European goalies unless they have a good season in their senior league. We saw something similar with Alexei Melnichuk last year where he was an unknown then suddenly had a solid stretch in the KHL which eventually led to him signing with San Jose. If/when Soderblom signs this offseason, he'd have to sign a two year ELC.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Carolina should be interested no? They just lost Mrazek

I imagine Soderblom wouldn't start in North America until next season at the earliest. Carolina will have some openings in the offseason:

NHL: Mrazek (UFA), Reimer (UFA)
AHL: Nedeljkovic (RFA), Bibeau (UFA), Helvig (RFA)

I think 2019 2nd rounder Pyotr Kochetkov is a possibility to sign and Carolina has the rights to Jack LaFontaine through August 15th. It might depend whether they get both guys signed in which case their AHL spots would be spoken for. I can't speak to Soderblom's play but most goalies don't immediately come over and make the big club without some AHL time.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Has anyone seen the kid play that can comment on his development, style, etc..?

He was mentioned in Friedman's 31 thoughts this week, and id assume there will be quite a few teams involved with discussions with him.

thanks
I've seen every game he's played this season. Big, calm, pretty good rebound control, got a good stick and can read plays. Started pretty good, then went very shaky and let in a soft goal in every start, then when our other goalie got injured he's been playing great, but our entire team has been looking good with 9 straight wins and over 200 minutes without a goal allowed in that stretch. I don't think he's NHL ready since he's been in a backup role this season. After next season, maybe. This is after all his first season in SHL.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit has already drafted his brother Elmer.

Maybe they'll join together?

We'll definitely need more promising goalies in the system. All current prospects are just question marks.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad