G Antti Raanta - Chicago UFA signing (2007 undrafted)

Billy Mays Here*

Holy crap! His last name is almost the same as mine. He just has one extra A at the beginning. I was a goalie when I played too. Small world.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Does he have NHL potential? he is only 22 so there is still room for him to improve. He has a .937 save percentage in the Finnish Elite League in what looks like his first year as a starting goalie.

He has potential but unfortunately not enough at the moment. He should move his legs a little bit faster. Just my opinion, though.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He has the potential for the NHL. He is currently the FEL best goalie. Raanta has played in 13 games this season. His Save% 0,940 and 1.90 GAA.
Elite Prospect page...
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

I wouldnt say the best. He's been good but its just 13 games in. Stats can change quickly. His team is also pretty good defensively.

I just dont get that feeling that he could become an NHL goaltender. Solid #1 in european leagues yes, but #1 in the NHL? Cant see it happening.

All this said, i havent seen him very much though.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
I wouldnt say the best. He's been good but its just 13 games in. Stats can change quickly.
So far in the season I would say that overall he has been, but like you said things can change quickly.

His team is also pretty good defensively.
Obviously every successful goalie needs a decent defence, but I would say that Raanta has helped the team more than the team has helped Raanta during the season.

I just dont get that feeling that he could become an NHL goaltender. Solid #1 in european leagues yes, but #1 in the NHL? Cant see it happening.
To be honest I kinda have the same feeling for some reason.

Hopefully will prove me wrong though

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Can we bump this? Because an NHL team needs to sign this guy this summer.

40GP 18W 9T 10L, GAA 1,96, S% 0.9401

He's now won 11 games straight, last two of them shutouts. Scouting report can be posted by someone who has the slightest clue about goaltending, I don't, but just saying, if Rynnäs got an NHL deal when he did, Raanta deserves one twice as much.

24 years old this summer, now on his second year being a starter in SM-Liiga, and for my money the best goaltender in the league this season. Last season he was in the top 5, maybe 3

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Signed him in my keeper league today after seeing some tweets about him this morning. Definitely think a team will take a stab at him and sign him, especially after seeing what Fasth has been able to do this year so far.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Can we bump this? Because an NHL team needs to sign this guy this summer.

40GP 18W 9T 10L, GAA 1,96, S% 0.9401

He's now won 11 games straight, last two of them shutouts. Scouting report can be posted by someone who has the slightest clue about goaltending, I don't, but just saying, if Rynnäs got an NHL deal when he did, Raanta deserves one twice as much.

24 years old this summer, now on his second year being a starter in SM-Liiga, and for my money the best goaltender in the league this season. Last season he was in the top 5, maybe 3
After the game today the stats are actually: 41GP 18W 10T 10L, GAA 1,91, S% 0.9415

In February: 9GP 8W 1T 0L GAA 0.78, S% 0.9767

Was physically in horrible shape when he got to Ässät, but has worked on that a lot, which also helped with the mental part of his game. Convinced me (and many others) of his mental strenght by finally winning against his former team Lukko last Saturday, that had been a really tough team for him ever since he left it 1.5 years ago. Calm, good with the stick and just a really solid goalie all around with no clear weaknesses at this level. Can be a bit of a showman.

An expert can go in depth.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just about everyone "knows" he's signed with HIFK for next season but it's becoming more and more apparent that he's not playing in Finland next season. If not NHL, then KHL.

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
why is everyone assuming kekäläinen will draft finns, trade for finns or sign finns as ufa?

Kekalainen has connections to Assat and loads of viewing of Raanta this season (didn't he bring their old starting goalie to Jokerit), or am i remembering totally wrong?

BDX

Jul 12, 2004
No way, Kekalainen is a very smart guy with great hockey aknowledge. He knows Raanta aint NHLer, if he feels like he needs someone in AHL then thats different.

He seems NHLer to me. He's heading for yet another shutout at the moment. 10 minutes left in the third period.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Kekalainen has connections to Assat and loads of viewing of Raanta this season (didn't he bring their old starting goalie to Jokerit), or am i remembering totally wrong?
He did do that.
He seems NHLer to me. He's heading for yet another shutout at the moment. 10 minutes left in the third period.
Gave up a goal late in the game when HIFK was playing on the two man advantage and had the extra forward.

Kinda sucks for him, but still set the team record for the longest time without giving up a goal*. Amazing month for him and the team.

Edit. * 198 minutes and 38 seconds, 6th longest in the history of the league

Last edited:

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Possibly called up for the World Championships this year?

Ramo/Vehanen? will most likely go

but with Backstrom and Kiprusoff the only goalies not making the playoffs maybe he'll get a look in :nod:

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
Another shutout, this time against league-leading Jokerit.

In his last 4 games, he has allowed exactly 1 (one) goal, in the dying seconds of the HIFK game, 6-on-4

EDIT: scratch that, it was a 6-on-3

Nikoy

Nov 17, 2011
He's playing absolutely out of this world rigt now. Hope he can get his shot at NHL someday. :handclap:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
And as expected Raanta was selected as the player of the month.

10 games, 10 wins, save% 97.66, GAA 0.80 and three shutouts.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
His regular season stats from this year

Games 45
Wins 21
Ties 10
Defeats 10
TOI 1332 minutes
Goals againts 80
Shutouts 5
GAA 1,85
S% 94,33

Last edited:

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Got the most votes and won the Lasse Oksanen-award as the league's best player in the regular season. :handclap:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So, is he going to get signed? I would hope a team at least takes a chance on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad