G Antoine Bibeau (2013, 172nd overall, Toronto)

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Bibeau's a goalie the Maple Leafs picked out of Charlottetown of the QMJHL. He was undrafted in his first year of eligibility. Bibeau was dealt to Val-d'Or this season. Right now he's holding off the Halifax Mooseheads and has been very good with Val-d'Or. He's turned 20 years old in a few days and could see time in the ECHL and AHL next season. He'll likely start in the ECHL due to Garrett Sparks and Christopher Gibson being older and advanced in their development.

I have yet to see him play in QMJHL action. Can any fans of the Q chime in on this goalie?

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Was actually surprised with how well he has been playing. I knew going in that he was a Leafs prospect, but for the most part he has been outplaying Fucale (Except Game 5. Fucale was stellar keeping the Moose in it towards the end/OT). The first thing you notice right off the bat is (like the rest of his Val-d'Or teammates) how large he is. He has a physical resemblance and somewhat playing style of a Ryan Miller or a Mike Smith. Either way, I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The kid may have a future after all. Not a starter necessarily, but he has all the time he needs to continue to develop his craft. Who knows?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Bibeau is amazing, could win Q playoffs MVP in just a couple of minutes if things go well.

Pains me to say it but the Maple Leafs might have a steal in the 6th round. Good scouting.

Bibeau has been a rock under pressure. He is big and smothers pucks like no tomorrow.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
It looks like I just cursed him. Sorry Val d'Or fans. Drakkar just scored three quick goals late in the 3rd and it's 3-3 now.

Bibeau will make a worthy Leaf!

DoubleDouble*

It looks like I just cursed him. Sorry Val d'Or fans. Drakkar just scored three quick goals late in the 3rd and it's 3-3 now.

Bibeau will make a worthy Leaf!

Actually, he's not going to fit in well with my Leafs if he's a playoff MVP :(

DoubleDouble*

it looks like i just cursed him. Sorry val d'or fans. Drakkar just scored three quick goals late in the 3rd and it's 3-3 now.

Bibeau will make a worthy leaf!

MVP! :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolverine Wings

#thankyoubasedgod
Feb 27, 2012
Detroit
Good catch by the Leafs, excited by his future. Regardless of the theatrics of Mantha, Bibeau has been incredible lately and he has stepped up in a big way this whole season, not just in the playoffs.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
In the 6 mock drafts we did from February to June last year, Bibeau was taken in 5 (3 by me):

5th round, 138th overall
6th round, 179th overall
7th round, 182nd overall

5th round, 129th overall
7th round, 192nd overall

Our picks average out to 164th overall, only 8 spots from where he was taken.

member 147413

Good to hear, but I'd like to see more consistency. At the Leafs last prospects camp the guy couldn't stop a beachball. It's good to hear about success but I won't get my hopes up.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Good scouting by the Leafs. Looks like a possible steal in the 6th round. The Leafs do pretty well late in drafts. Connor Brown, Bibeau, Gunnarsson is another example of a late round pick becoming an everyday NHL'er. Keep the picks and we're fine. People keep bringing up that our scouting sucks..it only sucks when you don't have picks to use. The last 4-5 years the Leafs have kept their picks and focused on the draft and it's really starting to bear fruit. (Kadri, Finn, Rielly, Percy, Brown, Bibeau, Gauthier, Leivo, etc etc.)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
rdawg posted this in the Leaf forum and I think it's so true.

Finn one of the top scoring d-men in the O
Connor Brown top scoring player in the CHL
Granberg won gold in World Championships(2013) and WJC(2012)

The Marlies looking to go deep in the playoffs(driven by a prospect heavy core, it's a pretty good sign when your prospects are winning big in lower levels).

I feel like our prospects are getting the shaft a bit with ratings, we dont have a blue chip forward prospects, but we definitely have some solid ones, and a lot of them are winners"

Say what you want about being blue chip or not but a ton of our prospects are winners. Bibeau just won QMJHL MVP, Finn looks like a future captain. Just has that aura about him, won an award this season and dominated with Guelph. Connor Brown, no explanation needed, destroyed the OHL. Andreas Johnson who was a late pick last year is doing very well in Sweden especially as a very young player in the Swedish elite league. The Leafs have some very solid prospects it's just going to take a lot of time for these kids to mature and get ready for the pros. Look how long it took Kadri to finally get a shot with the team. Just because our prospects aren't jumping up every year to the big club doesn't mean our prospect pool sucks. We're doing things the right way and not pushing or rushing these guys.

And the Marlies are destroying teams in the playoffs so far, I don't think they've lost a game yet.

Last edited:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
rdawg posted this in the Leaf forum and I think it's so true.

Finn one of the top scoring d-men in the O
Connor Brown top scoring player in the CHL
Granberg won gold in World Championships(2013) and WJC(2012)

The Marlies looking to go deep in the playoffs(driven by a prospect heavy core, it's a pretty good sign when your prospects are winning big in lower levels).

I feel like our prospects are getting the shaft a bit with ratings, we dont have a blue chip forward prospects, but we definitely have some solid ones, and a lot of them are winners"

Say what you want about being blue chip or not but a ton of our prospects are winners. Bibeau just won QMJHL MVP, Finn looks like a future captain. Just has that aura about him, won an award this season and dominated with Guelph. Connor Brown, no explanation needed, destroyed the OHL. Andreas Johnson who was a late pick last year is doing very well in Sweden especially as a very young player in the Swedish elite league. The Leafs have some very solid prospects it's just going to take a lot of time for these kids to mature and get ready for the pros. Look how long it took Kadri to finally get a shot with the team. Just because our prospects aren't jumping up every year to the big club doesn't mean our prospect pool sucks. We're doing things the right way and not pushing or rushing these guys.

And the Marlies are destroying teams in the playoffs so far, I don't think they've lost a game yet.

He won rookie of the year in SHL over some high, notable NHL picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad