G Anthony Stolarz (2012, 45th, PHI)

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
In his first 17 games in the OHL, coming from the university of Nebraska-Omaha, he's posted an 11-2-2 record with a 2.18 GAA, a .924 SV% and 1 shutout. Granted, he is playing on a good team.

He's 6'5" and apparently has a great work ethic and alot of natural talent.

Could any London Knights fans weigh in on how he's looked? Do you think he has the ability to develop into a good net minder at the NHL level? He seemingly has all the tools, but it could be too early to tell.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I'd say he's getting better and better each month.

I've been incredibly impressed by how quick he is in his net for such a big goalie. He goes post to post very well and makes a lot of "highlight reel" saves because of his size and athleticism.

He's definitely still a work in progress in terms of becoming a true goaltender (right now I'd say he's more of a stopper). He still leaves holes when he's trying to cover his angles (especially when teams get him moving a lot). He also needs to work on directing his rebounds away from the slot.

But I've definitely been impressed and I think he's got a bright future.

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I'd say he's getting better and better each month.

I've been incredibly impressed by how quick he is in his net for such a big goalie. He goes post to post very well and makes a lot of "highlight reel" saves because of his size and athleticism.

He's definitely still a work in progress in terms of becoming a true goaltender (right now I'd say he's more of a stopper). He still leaves holes when he's trying to cover his angles (especially when teams get him moving a lot). He also needs to work on directly his rebounds away from the slot.

But I've definitely been impressed and I think he's got a bright future.

Thanks for the reply! I've also been very impressed by him in the few times I've seen him. Obviously he's very young and had a lot of work ahead of him but I can't help but see a little pekka rinne in the way he plays the position. Hopefully he turns out even half as good!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I've liked him.. but the first thing I noticed about him was his stance. Kind of a weird stance.

Hanzee Dent

Nov 22, 2010
Yes, but he is Flyers property and everyone knows that once a goaltender gets that Flyer stank on him, he's all but done for. The opposite effect goes for centers.

;)

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Anthony is getting better and better every game. He was fighting the puck early on when coming to the OHL but he's calmed down and looks so much more composed. Anthony was absolutely amazing last night, London controlled the play a lot more, but there were a few collapses defensively and Anthony really pulled out some huge saves.

I talked to Bill Dark who's the London Knights goaltending coach last night, he seems very happy with Anthony's development thus far and Bill has worked wonders with a few goaltenders in the past. He has a great track record in taking raw skill and turning them into great goaltenders and it looks like he's doing it again with Stolarz.

The best part about his success is in the type of person he is. I've talked to Anthony at length on a few occasions and he's such a great kid. Honestly one of the best I've met in hockey and outside of hockey as well. He's very polite, thankful/grateful for every opportunity he's recieved, he doesn't let the little things get to him, has such a positive attitude about life and hockey in general. Just one of those people you like to see succeed. I believe this was ultimately the best decision for him personally. He gets to start for a Memorial Cup contender, he has one of the best goalie coaches in junior hockey period and access to everything he needs in London including a lot more game action than he'd get otherwise.

As far as his skill he's very quick for such a big goaltender. He recovers well for 6'5" he has a lightning fast glove. He's also mentally tough. He can let in the odd bad goal, but shakes it off well and doesn't let it affect him moving forward.

I just hope Philadelphia takes their time with Anthony and lets him prove himself at length at every level.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'm very happy with how much he has gotten to play in London. I was skeptical of the move at first but it was definitely the right thing. He could help form a very good goaltending tandem with Jon Gillies for next year's USA WJC team.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Wow, a goalie prospect that actually has promise!

Athleticism in a big man is always nice.

Wouldn't surprise me to see the Flyers rush him, unfortunately.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Bump.

Playing great while London doesn't have Maatta and Zadorov on D.

5 starts, .934 SV% and a 2.20 GAA.

Looked great at the Flyers camp too.

He's huge and really athletic, and it seems like he is starting to understand the nuances of goaltending.

Any other input on him?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bump.

Playing great while London doesn't have Maatta and Zadorov on D.

5 starts, .934 SV% and a 2.20 GAA.

Looked great at the Flyers camp too.

He's huge and really athletic, and it seems like he is starting to understand the nuances of goaltending.

Any other input on him?

Now 6-0, .935 SV% and a 2.00 GAA

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Leads the OHL in SV% after a 35 save shutout tonight against Kitchener.

This is with London that is playing without their top defenders from last year (Maatta, Zadorov, Harrington).

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
He's been flat out brilliant most nights... even when he's fought the puck he's still played well.

If he's not the starter for the US at the WJC I'd like to meet the guy that is.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
He's been flat out brilliant most nights... even when he's fought the puck he's still played well.

If he's not the starter for the US at the WJC I'd like to meet the guy that is.

It is pretty much set in stone that Jon Gillies will be the Starter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad