G Akira Schmid - Langnau U20, Elite Jr. A (2018, 136th, NJD)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I suppose he could use a thread. He has been tearing up the AHL as a 21 year old.

Date of Birth
May 12, 2000
Height
6'5" / 195 cm
Place of Birth
Bern, SUI
Weight
205 lbs / 93 kg

21-22
6.png
Utica Comets
AHL71.42.951
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I have always been high on him. Extremely calm goaltender with excellent positioning. Had some fantastic games with the swiss junior national teams that got him dafted. Then he got over to the dub and got done dirty in Lethbridge when they basically "fired" him after one bad performance in an exhibition game. Was excellent in the USHL after that though even though I thought he stayed a bit to long in that league. Glad to see he is doing well with the pros now. Its not like Switzerland is blessed with a lot of promising Goalie prospects who have actually some size.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have always been high on him. Extremely calm goaltender with excellent positioning. Had some fantastic games with the swiss junior national teams that got him dafted. Then he got over to the dub and got done dirty in Lethbridge when they basically "fired" him after one bad performance in an exhibition game. Was excellent in the USHL after that though even though I thought he stayed a bit to long in that league. Glad to see he is doing well with the pros now. Its not like Switzerland is blessed with a lot of promising Goalie prospects who have actually some size.

I think he stated for an extra USHL season to overcome a hip injury. He had surgery somewhere along the way and needed extra time to get healthy. He recovered and was the USHL best goalie award winner last season if my memory is correct.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think he stated for an extra USHL season to overcome a hip injury. He had surgery somewhere along the way and needed extra time to get healthy. He recovered and was the USHL best goalie award winner last season if my memory is correct.

Ok I didnt know that. Its not like it mathers now anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ok I didnt know that. Its not like it mathers anyway now.

with prospects I think the past only matters as a launching pad to allow them time to develop their games. At some point thr good ones turn a corner and raise their gane to where it needs to be. It seems Schmid just needed that extra season to get healthy which in turn allowed him to up his game. It’s always nice to see a player overcome adversity to find success and between the WHL fiasco and the injury Schnid has done that well. He has certainly made the most of his opportunity if nothing else.

Reactions: Speyer

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Very interesting career trajectory. The guy was a 3rd goalie for Switzerland at WJC in his last year of eligibility, then stayed in the USHL as an overager. Now he dominates the AHL.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Goalies often do take longer to develop than let’s say forwards (and often Dmen). So I’m not completely surprised that it has taken him a while to get to this point…plus the injuries he had didn’t help either.

I think he has a lot of upside still.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
NJ has spent a mid round pick on a goaltender every year since the drafted Blackwood in the 2nd round in 2015. I know that's hardly a unique approach, but it can feel a little bit futile sometimes. It's pretty weird that it seems to be the only practical way to get a decent goaltender for RFA type money.

Reactions: Classic Devil

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Schmid and Daws are the best goalie duo in the AHL, both 2000 born.

Hope the Devils let them dominate for a full season there.

Schmid is the new Carey Price definitly.
Both Schmid and Daws are German speaking and they used to work in duo in Utica. To call them both next season and it will nice goalies combo for years as RFA and to trade for picks or power forward swisschesse hole Blackwood and taking age Bernier

Daws is even younger 2002 born

Reactions: John Pedro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad