G Adam Vay - Quad City Mallards, ECHL (2012 undrafted; 2016 signed, MIN)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not trying to say that Vay's performance today turned him into a legit prospect, but I'm always curious about a no namer standing on his head like that. Look him up, and not only is he young (22) but has spent time in North America.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=68940

To turn in a game like that against a team like finland barely a year removed from playing in a B/C level junior league in the southern states... :handclap:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
That's the problem. He played in a D/E level league and wasn't even a star there...

He had a good game against Finland, his Mol Liga stats aren't good though to put in perspective. The next stop for him will likely be the EBEL.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
That's the problem. He played in a D/E level league and wasn't even a star there...

He had a good game against Finland, his Mol Liga stats aren't good though to put in perspective. The next stop for him will likely be the EBEL.

This makes sense, thanks.

Vay is playing an amazing game vs the US right now. 4 saves on the 5 on 3 and made 15 total in that period I believe. Looks really good out there.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's been unbelievable against the Americans and the Fins. Not too sure if that warrants anything contractually but it should put Hunter on notice.

I mean, that's cool and all but I'm pretty sure the sample size here is being overlooked.

It reminds me of when Gerber looked like Patrick Roy against Team Canada in the Olympics a few years ago. He looked amazing. What about Gudlevskis for Latvia in 2013?

To clarify, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him. He's huge and probably has some potential... but to say the Leafs "have" to get him is a little much, especially banking on a few great games instead of looking at his whole season and what not.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
He's been unbelievable against the Americans and the Fins. Not too sure if that warrants anything contractually but it should put Hunter on notice.
His team is putting 5 guys squatting in front of him playing maximum effort. It's like when Germany played the USA in soccer and the USA put 11 men in the 22 yard box. Vay hasn't actually made a whole lot of incredible saves, because there's always a body to block his weak side. He has been really good, and I like his size at 6'5" a lot, but I think the most logical step would be to play for Szekesferhaver or if he gets lucky he could land a contract in an slightly bigger league, either way he will get noticed. NHL...idk and I don't think he's NHL material. He really struggled at times in the MOL Liga.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I mean, that's cool and all but I'm pretty sure the sample size here is being overlooked.

It reminds me of when Gerber looked like Patrick Roy against Team Canada in the Olympics a few years ago. He looked amazing. What about Gudlevskis for Latvia in 2013?

To clarify, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him. He's huge and probably has some potential... but to say the Leafs "have" to get him is a little much, especially banking on a few great games instead of looking at his whole season and what not.

If anything I'd say he's a good candidate to put in the ECHL on a two way AHL contract with a promise that they'll keep an eye on him. Very strong numbers in a North American league albeit 3rd tier if that, and nice performance here, even if it is a flash in the pan

Last edited:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If anything I'd say he's a good candidate to put in the ECHL on a two way AHL contract with a promise that they'll keep an eye on him. Very strong numbers in a North American league and nice performance here, even if it is a flash in the pan

This is pretty much the Roman Will path in the Avs organization haha

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
The Rise and Fall of Adam Vay. 12.6.2016-13.6.2016

Naaah just kidding. Place like Finland would be great for him. Talent is there, only need proper coaching to pull it together.

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary

His MOL Liga stats are extremely good. He led the league in saves percentage playing for a middling team and having to play more games than anybody else (he was supposed to be the backup but import rules forced Debrecen to bench their Russian goalie). He pretty much carried Debrecen to the playoffs. He was easily the best goalie in the league, and remember, Janis Kalnins, who is on Latvia's roster, also plays there, behind a way better defense.

Nonetheless, I don't think he is NHL or even AHL material right now. If he plays like he did this season, he might be able to land a contract in Finland, that's as high as he can aim now in my opinion, but probably the Allsvenskan or the Mestis is a likelier destination. If he succeeds there, he can look further, but not now. If I were a coach only looking to get the best goalie I can for the 2016-17 season, I would still take Rajna over him, but his potential might be higher.

Dec 13, 2010
If anything I'd say he's a good candidate to put in the ECHL on a two way AHL contract with a promise that they'll keep an eye on him. Very strong numbers in a North American league albeit 3rd tier if that, and nice performance here, even if it is a flash in the pan

the WSHL is terrible, don't let numbers there fool you. A good save percentage can tell you a lot, but not when the quality of shots is that bad. Most comparable goalies in that league are playing NCAA Division III right now.

If you're Adam, why come play in the ECHL for very little money and live in a foreign country when you could stay home and likely make more money/be a star in the league? No-brainer. This kid's having a great tournament but I doubt any NHL teams are scrambling to sign him to a minor league deal.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wow. Seems like every year there's a goalie that stirs up attention with a few good games in an international tournament and they never get drafted or signed. Kinda cool.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015

Roughly6Owls

Dec 11, 2015
Pretty low risk for the Wild -- he's probably not making the maximum for his ELC, so his AHL salary is probably around 60 000. If he doesn't work out, then he was basically just a missing contract slot for two years and some pocket change that the Wild lost under the couch.

Rajna

May 8, 2016
Budapest, Hungary
Apparently, Calgary and Chicago were the first teams offering him a contract, and he wanted to sign with one of them, but Frank Banham told him to wait it out. Then came an offer from the Oilers, and finally from the Wild. It was the only two-year offer so he decided to take that.

Stan Bowman tried to personally convince him in St Petersburg, and if Banham hadn't gone with him to the meeting, he would probably have said yes right there.

I didn't expect this much interest from the NHL, I thought he would rather sign with a Finnish team. That still might be where he ultimately ends up though. I wonder if Koivu or Granlund had a good word about him after the Finland game.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Apparently, Calgary and Chicago were the first teams offering him a contract, and he wanted to sign with one of them, but Frank Banham told him to wait it out. Then came an offer from the Oilers, and finally from the Wild. It was the only two-year offer so he decided to take that.

Unless the other clubs were only offering AHL deals, any entry level contract offered to Vay (22 years old) had to be two years as per the CBA: https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#elc

The length of the entry-level contract is also dependent on the player’s age:
18-21 years of age: 3 years
22-23 years of age: 2 years
24 years of age: 1 year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad