G Adam Huska - UConn, NCAA (2015, 184th, NYR)

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Looks like a good one. Lundqvist is 33 so a goalie of the future for the Rangers could be needed sooner rather than later.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Looks like a good one. Lundqvist is 33 so a goalie of the future for the Rangers could be needed sooner rather than later.
rangers have a few nice goalie prospects. hopefully one pans out and can be that guy in the future.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

NYR has Halverson, Shesterkin, Skapski and Hellberg along with Huska. All are very good prospects and are playing phenominal. I think we'd have at least one or two of these guys to make the big jump to replace the King.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Still a bit raw, but I like his upside. Anyone know where he's playing next year yet? Or is he still undecided?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The thing is, he may not be our best goalie prospect, but he's one of our best prospects. I had him 3rd in my most recent rankings that doesn't count the current NHL players. Shestyorkin is our best prospect, might be the best goalie in the KHL at age 20.

Him and the other goalie at UConn have rotated all season. I don't think they are just going to stop playing a 24 year old senior and give every game to a freshman, but they are playing about the same amount and Huska is outplaying Nichols.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

kule41

Mar 26, 2008
I like his style of play. Looks like a solid goalie. Feel bad for him as he is playing well but can't do much against Canada

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
He was about as perfect as a goalie can be in the 1st period. Maybe one or two rebounds got away from him but he gave Team Canada absolutely nothing to work with. What happened in the 2nd and 3rd Period's of the game was just a young goalie running out of steam. You can only keep up with that Team Canada cycling for so long before it wears you down. It was certainly interesting to see him in survival mode just throwing himself in front of pucks with whatever energy he had left. Something I really liked about him is he never over committed or was overly aggressive at any point of the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, he's good. He's been very good since we drafted him. He was good at the WJC's last year, but it was the same thing that occurred in this game against Canada to a lesser extent. He was the best goalie in the USHL last year, and he's pretty much earned the UConn starting job over a 24 year old returning starter within a few months. He's played really well for UConn.

I think he's a top two goalie from the 2015 draft. Great scouting by our scouts. 7th round, and we might get an NHL starting goalie.

Last edited:

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Goalies obviously take more time than skaters to develop and the Rangers have the luxury of letting him marinate in NCAA for at least a few more years. I'd expect that he'll at least play his junior year until they sign him and then a couple more years of AHL acclimation before he's in a Rags jersey.
All early indications are pointing in the direction of a 7th round steal

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Goalies obviously take more time than skaters to develop and the Rangers have the luxury of letting him marinate in NCAA for at least a few more years. I'd expect that he'll at least play his junior year until they sign him and then a couple more years of AHL acclimation before he's in a Rags jersey.
All early indications are pointing in the direction of a 7th round steal

We don't use the abbreviation Rags. :)

Huska's biggest problem with the Rangers is Igor Shestyorkin who's on a very similar timeline to signing a contract, but is probably a year or two ahead in development. Huska probably needs a year or two in the AHL, Shestyorkin is ready to join the NHL team immediately when he signs. We could always trade Huska if we get two #1's, but goalie prospects have very little value. Or maybe one of the two doesn't pan out, but at this point, its looking very likely that both will.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't mind this. I think they initially planned on him staying one more season, but he's had a really bad season, and lost the starting job. He'd probably split minutes next year, so its better he does that in the AHL or ECHL. I still think he's a pretty good prospect. All the teams he plays for are terrible, so he gives up a lot of goals. His good performances since being drafted have mostly been relative.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Should get the 3pm start for Hartford today, unless they go with Halverson again after last night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
.915 in the AHL through four games to start the season. He also looked good in NHL preseason. The Rangers have a lot of goalies, and Huska is probably going to need at least a full two AHL seasons to be ready, but he does have NHL potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad