Fuzzy Analytics

buttman*

How do we measure toughness in this new informed world?

Is it punches taken over chirps per 60?

But then what qualifies as a chirp? I'm sure the stat will work out anyway.

Toughness is measured more in hits and the ability to respond as opposed to punches to the face these days. Komorov, Martin and Polak were all amoung the league leaders in hits last year. They can all take a regular shift and aren't a liability. Toughness on the bench is not tough.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Im a bigger fan of the team stat of goals for vs against in a game. I find that has a very heavy correlation to success.

*yawn*

Analytics long-ago showed that goals for/goals against isn't as good of a predictor of future success as more advanced stats.

Rysto

Oct 3, 2009
The badlands
Yes, and? A team's management is interested in making decisions that will help them win future games. For that, they need forward-looking stats.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't believe he was targeted because he's an overager, which is the narrative that is out there. They picked him because their scouts have probably been watching him for years and liked his progression. I don't think they needed advanced stats to tell them he has gotten better from year to year.

You are 100% correct.....it was all the eye test by a former Regina Pat coach and player...Dirk liked him a lot. Dale Derkatch lives in Regina and is a Leaf scout.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Edit: As for the rest of the original post I wrote, it's not worth it. No interest in continuing a discussion with someone who only stoop to deflections and childish barbs, instead of trying to participate in an intellectual debate. Such behavior is just childish, and I've learnt that the best way to deal with childishness is just to ignore it.

I think I love you. Right on the goddamn money, especially the head to head bit. I've been butting my head up against the QoC doesn't impact macro analysis therefore QoC doesn't matter crowd but you can see it clearly in the HtH.

The feeling is mutual. I am a one-man cheering squad whenever I read one of your posts.

Last edited:

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I think its pretty clear by now The Cynick isnt going to change his mind. Not one bit of stats will be superior to the eye test.

More articles probably wont help cause it sounds like he doesnt even read or try to understand them, and wont ever entertain the thought of how these stats could be useful. As we all know close mindedness is the mark of a scholar.

It still kinda sounds like to him there is grizzled hockey people vs geeks vs gentlemen who youre able to tell from a glance and there is no overlap between them. :laugh:

Mr Hockey*

Again, why does it have to be one or the other? You seem to continuously argue as if one has to chose. You don't.

Take Brooks. They like him. Some say that he is an overager. They use statistics to show the extent of this issue, and since it's smaller than commonly thought, they put less weight on it. He moves up their draft list, and gets picked as a high-value target.

I don't believe he was targeted because he's an overager, which is the narrative that is out there. They picked him because their scouts have probably been watching him for years and liked his progression. I don't think they needed advanced stats to tell them he has gotten better from year to year.

You are 100% correct.....it was all the eye test by a former Regina Pat coach and player...Dirk liked him a lot. Dale Derkatch lives in Regina and is a Leaf scout.

This was written before the 2016 NHL draft.

2016 NHL Draft – The Top 10 Overage Players Available

Looking forward to the 2016 NHL draft, I ran the DEV numbers for all draft eligible overage players. One player in particular that I want to discuss is Adam Brooks. Brooks is relatively undersized at 5’10, but in his 3rd year of draft eligibility DEV suggests he’s worth selecting with a pick from 28 – 33 overall. Brooks was valued as a pick from 55 - 82 last year, demonstrating two things: 30 NHL teams passed over a prospect worth selecting in the 3rd round with their late round picks last year, and Brooks has improved considerably since last year. Some of Brooks’ successful comparables include players like Claude Giroux, Derek Roy, Ondrej Palat, Patrick O’Sullivan, Martin Erat & Jordan Eberle. I suspect he will not be selected as high as DEV values him, but if he’s available in the mid-rounds, Brooks seems like the obvious candidate to draft if a team is looking for a value selection. Obviously Brooks is not a lock to be a successful NHL player, but DEV indicates that he’s just as likely to be an impact NHL player as any other player who is optimally selected in the top of the 2nd round.

These are the top 10 overage CHL forwards according to DEV:

image002.png

Conclusion
If you view the NHL as a marketplace, the most undervalued commodity is legitimate NHL prospects who were passed over in their first year of draft eligibility, otherwise known as overage players. Thus, the natural way to game the NHL draft is to exploit the aforementioned inefficiency. DEV exclusively compares players with other prospects in the same year of draft eligibility. As a result, perhaps the most practical usage of DEV is for identifying overage draft eligible prospects and quantifying where they should be selected.

By Zac Urback

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Looking forward to the 2016 NHL draft, I ran the DEV numbers for all draft eligible overage players. One player in particular that I want to discuss is Adam Brooks. Brooks is relatively undersized at 5’10, but in his 3rd year of draft eligibility DEV suggests he’s worth selecting with a pick from 28 – 33 overall. Brooks was valued as a pick from 55 - 82 last year, demonstrating two things: 30 NHL teams passed over a prospect worth selecting in the 3rd round with their late round picks last year, and Brooks has improved considerably since last year. Some of Brooks’ successful comparables include players like Claude Giroux, Derek Roy, Ondrej Palat, Patrick O’Sullivan, Martin Erat & Jordan Eberle. I suspect he will not be selected as high as DEV values him, but if he’s available in the mid-rounds, Brooks seems like the obvious candidate to draft if a team is looking for a value selection. Obviously Brooks is not a lock to be a successful NHL player, but DEV indicates that he’s just as likely to be an impact NHL player as any other player who is optimally selected in the top of the 2nd round.

image002.png

Conclusion
If you view the NHL as a marketplace, the most undervalued commodity is legitimate NHL prospects who were passed over in their first year of draft eligibility, otherwise known as overage players. Thus, the natural way to game the NHL draft is to exploit the aforementioned inefficiency. DEV exclusively compares players with other prospects in the same year of draft eligibility. As a result, perhaps the most practical usage of DEV is for identifying overage draft eligible prospects and quantifying where they should be selected.

By Zac Urback

Funny, that Dirk never once talk about this once when I talked with him while watching the Pats play. He liked his game as he said and I agree that he was a very typical late bloomer who lead his team in scoring by a huge amount.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
*yawn*

Analytics long-ago showed that goals for/goals against isn't as good of a predictor of future success as more advanced stats.

I did a basic review of the 2015 playoffs. The team with lower goals against won, I think it was, 12 of the 15 series.

A gambler could have done quite well using that oh so basic predictor.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You're missing my point -- or trying to pretend it was something else. These weren't purely analytic signings -- pretty obvious. They were signed because they brought toughness as well. Certainly todays tough guys aren't Colton Orr's. Rather they need to have the ability to play a regular shift. Which these guys can. But it is quite obvious these guys weren't purely signed because of good or mediocre analytics -- they bring toughness -- which helps others play bigger.

That's what I'm saying.

Analytics didn't identify the need to add Martin/Polak, but they are a big part of why they were the specific players chosen to address that need.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I did a basic review of the 2015 playoffs. The team with lower goals against won, I think it was, 12 of the 15 series.

A gambler could have done quite well using that oh so basic predictor.

The team with the best GA/G went 9-6 in '16. Not bad, but I think you'd still lose money since you'd usually be picking the favourite.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I think its pretty clear by now The Cynick isnt going to change his mind. Not one bit of stats will be superior to the eye test.

More articles probably wont help cause it sounds like he doesnt even read or try to understand them, and wont ever entertain the thought of how these stats could be useful. As we all know close mindedness is the mark of a scholar.

It still kinda sounds like to him there is grizzled hockey people vs geeks vs gentlemen who youre able to tell from a glance and there is no overlap between them. :laugh:

Funny that you accuse me of not reading, but if you read my posts you would see I read most of what is posted here. The only thing I couldn't get through was one article that was just too long and struggled to hold my attention. That's not my fault.

I'm all for useful stats if they are collected in an accurate manner and tell you something worthwhile. Few of the stats I have seen do that. Further to that, none of it addresses the fine nuances that occur during a game. It's not like baseball, which had repeatable situations that you can evaluate over time. Hockey is a fluid game, and these stats pull you down a rabbit hole and seem to appeal to people who don't understand how to evaluate using their own eyes.

Anyone can be a gentleman, but fewer and fewer people choose to act like one. They all want to be behind a computer screen trying to be the smartest guy in the room. They usually fail and look like geeks in the process.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

image002.png

Conclusion

By Zac Urback

The Leafs should have taken all of the top 10 DEV guys if they were really applying that strategy. Only 2 of the 10 were taken at all. Seems odd to have this glaring competitive advantage right in front of you and you only utilize 10% of it.

In reality they had a trusted source watch him much of the year (and prior years) The source said this kid has improved a ton. Leafs thought he was worth a flyer with a mid pick. It's not hard to understand.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Leafs should have taken all of the top 10 DEV guys if they were really applying that strategy. Only 2 of the 10 were taken at all. Seems odd to have this glaring competitive advantage right in front of you and you only utilize 10% of it.

In reality they had a trusted source watch him much of the year (and prior years) The source said this kid has improved a ton. Leafs thought he was worth a flyer with a mid pick. It's not hard to understand.

Again with the false dichotomy. It's getting really tedious.

Use analytics to identify pool of likely undervalued players (by systematically acknowledging that reentry's are chronically and unjustifiably undervalued).

Using scouting to assess which of those players is the best with the best chance of success, relative to the available non-reentries at each draft slot.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Again with the false dichotomy. It's getting really tedious.

Use analytics to identify pool of likely undervalued players (by systematically acknowledging that reentry's are chronically and unjustifiably undervalued).

Using scouting to assess which of those players is the best with the best chance of success, relative to the available non-reentries at each draft slot.

Why do you assume they used the analytics to identify any of the players? Do you know that they scouted all ten of those guys? Why stop at the top 10? Isn't it possible they had their eye on Brooks going back to last year, saw he improved throughout the year and picked him? Why do we assume this DEV analysis was the starting point?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Maybe you don't like analytics because you don't like math?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why do you assume they used the analytics to identify any of the players? Do you know that they scouted all ten of those guys? Why stop at the top 10? Isn't it possible they had their eye on Brooks going back to last year, saw he improved throughout the year and picked him? Why do we assume this DEV analysis was the starting point?

Team has publicly embraced the use of analytic methods in conjunction with highly skilled talent evaluators.

Analytics support the idea that high performing draft re-entries have not been fairly evaluated in the past and represent good value.

Team picks disproportionately high amount of high performing draft re-entries.

Theory: Team used analytic methods in conjunction with highly skilled talent evaluators.

:sarcasm: Surely a scholar like yourself is familiar with Occam's Razor?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad