Player Discussion Future Zibenajed/Chytil one-two punch down the middle

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
The hype train has left the station!

We drafted 3 similar centers before in a similar spot - two of them at 7th overall and one at 8th overall: Malhotra, Sundstrom and Dahlen. All of them turned into 3rd liners. Sundstrom played on the second line a couple of seasons, but was much more a passenger there than a driver. Dahlen's reputation right now is viewed more than it ever was during his playing days, maybe because he had 3 seasons of high scoring, and then ran up points late in his career by playing with superstars Jagr, Bondra and Gonchar, but it was in a high scoring era and he never was on his team's top-3 scorers. Most of his career he was a very good third liner in his worse seasons or an average second liner in his better seasons except for 3 seasons when he was a good second liner. So let's be generous and count Dahlen as a career second liner. Malhotra, meanwhile, was a bottom-6 players every single season, often a 4th liner. He had fewer than .3 ppg (24 points per 82 games) over his career and his career high was 35 points.

Looking back, Duhlen, Sundstrom and Malhotra were all probably higher touted as prospects than Lias today. If Lias becomes anything more than a middle-6 forward throughout his career, it will be a surprise. Anything can happen, he can become a bust or a superstar, but at this point there's no reason to believe Lias becomes a better center than Hayes (different styles, but I'm talking about value).

Meanwhile Chytil is very unproven. Goneau had 10 points in 10 games, then collapsed. Vorobiev had about a point a game through his first dozen games, winning a spot on the RW with Messier and Graves, then disappeared.

A nice bit of history.. You mean really that our first rounders have no chance to be 1C or 2C, because it had not happened before? You're right Chytil's not proven .. but he is only 18. A year ago he played with juniors, than he was a good center in top Czech Extraliga. I think, this kid has a chance to be top player..

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Ziba is already #1C.

Stepan was #1C. Lower end 1C but still one.

IMO both Stepan and Brassard was #2C. This time we have no #1C... Ziba looks very good but we will see at the end of the season.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
A nice bit of history.. You mean really that our first rounders have no chance to be 1C or 2C, because it had not happened before? You're right Chytil's not proven .. but he is only 18. A year ago he played with juniors, than he was a good center in top Czech Extraliga. I think, this kid has a chance to be top player..

Probably should've read his second post.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I didn't say they have no chance of doing it, I said that the reasonable expectation right now is not for someone like Lias to turn into a 1C or top 2C. Anything can happen, a 7th rounder could become a Hall of Famer, but you wouldn't pencil in a 7th rounder as a future All Star just because it possibly can happen, right? Lias can become a star and your lottery ticket can possibly make you rich, but the more likely scenario is that Lias becomes a midde-6 forward and your lottery ticket becomes garbage.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
FWIW, 7OA has had a pretty good track record for the past decade. Way too early to get worried about Lias. Literally way too early.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I would be fine with Chytil in the 3C role to get favorable matchups and focus on offense - 13/14 minutes per game. Lias as the 2C and the guy can play in front of the net. Hayes has played LW before and could go back to it, be the guy on the boards. I could also definitely see us signing JVR as the replacement to Nash's open spot.

Kreider Zib Buch
Miller Lias Zucc
Hayes Chytil JVR
Vesey Nieves Fast

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't say they have no chance of doing it, I said that the reasonable expectation right now is not for someone like Lias to turn into a 1C or top 2C. Anything can happen, a 7th rounder could become a Hall of Famer, but you wouldn't pencil in a 7th rounder as a future All Star just because it possibly can happen, right? Lias can become a star and your lottery ticket can possibly make you rich, but the more likely scenario is that Lias becomes a midde-6 forward and your lottery ticket becomes garbage.
OK. And the question is .. rebuild or no. IMO Rangers need 2C this time. In rebuild mode we should trust new ones - in the best case Chytil will be able to play at the and of the season...
But this is business... wait two years may not be acceptable. What are the options? Galchenyuk?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
OK. And the question is .. rebuild or no. IMO Rangers need 2C this time. In rebuild mode we should trust new ones - in the best case Chytil will be able to play at the and of the season...
But this is business... wait two years may not be acceptable. What are the options? Galchenyuk?

Rebuild, but have several layers of prospects.

- Don't assume that Chytil or Lias will be a star center, get another young center with a first rounder, then see which one works.
- Don't assume Graves, Day or Pionk become good defensemen, draft another defenseman in the first round and a few more in later rounds.
- Don't stop with only Kreider, Miller, Butcher, Vesey, Fast when you need 8 wingers, not 5. Take a winger in round 1, and a couple more in round 2.

But the only way that this happens is if we trade our good vets still in their prime for early picks and good prospects. Otherwise, we can either plug a hole in one place or in another. We could, for instance, plug a hole on the wing and hope all our prospects reach their max potential, but what are the odds that happens.

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
Rebuild, but have several layers of prospects.

- Don't assume that Chytil or Lias will be a star center, get another young center with a first rounder, then see which one works.
- Don't assume Graves, Day or Pionk become good defensemen, draft another defenseman in the first round and a few more in later rounds.
- Don't stop with only Kreider, Miller, Butcher, Vesey, Fast when you need 8 wingers, not 5. Take a winger in round 1, and a couple more in round 2.

But the only way that this happens is if we trade our good vets still in their prime for early picks and good prospects. Otherwise, we can either plug a hole in one place or in another. We could, for instance, plug a hole on the wing and hope all our prospects reach their max potential, but what are the odds that happens.
"Get another young center with a first rounder..." Is Galchenyuk that center? Trade for Zuc?
"Draft another defenseman in the first round.." You mean top 5 pick? Or directly Rasmus Dahlin? I can not imagine the price for such a pick.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Idk, dont think any of them have elite 1C potential.

Think we'll be in the same situation with Stepan/Brassard, two good 2Cs but no real #1
And that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Difference is, these players will be younger and under cheap contracts. It buys us some time to figure out other stuff.
Zbad is already "that guy" (not necessarily a Crosby, then again who is?) But he is "our guy" and if Chytil, Andersson and Boo turn out to be good 200 feet guys along with what they bring or better said "could bring" offensively, we may have something here.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of potential down the middle, but we're not there yet.

Zibanejad has legit top end stuff, it's a matter of putting it together.

Chytil's early returns as an 18 year old in the AHL, and the youngest player in the league, are very promising.

Andersson is a utility knife kind of player, the biggest question is offensive upside. I just don't think it's going to be as low as some detractors think.

If he's "only" an Ulf Dahlen type, let's at least look at what were supposedly disappointed with.

One of Dahlen's biggest problems was that he was injury prone. He played 70 games or less 3 of his first four seasons, and in six seasons overall in a 14 year NHL career. He spent two years back in Sweden and retired when he was still a fairly productive player at 36. He scored at at least a 20 goal pace for this first 9 NHL seasons and let the lamp more than 300 times in his NHL career. He is the second highest scoring player from the 1985 draft, behind Joe Nieuwendyk. Let's not act like he was a bust now.

If the Rangers got the modern equivalent of that kind of production, with the other elements that Andersson potentially brings, that's pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad