Future Wings Defense...those available to trade

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
At this point of the rebuild, nothing should be off the table, even Seider, provided the return is reasonable.

That being said, the ones I want to keep the most are Seider (obviously) and AJ. All others are expendable in my eyes provided Yzerman believes it's a good trade. In an ideal world I would like to see us get some lottery luck and draft Power and then have Larkin and Stevie try to brainwash Werenski next (as in 2022) offseason.

Seider-Werenski
Power-Hronek
Johansson - Vet UFA similar to Stecther.
(the best two remaining prospects in the system

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Think half of the DEFENCE at success era will come in after a trade. That's how Yzerman suffled things at Tampa.

He will send some prospects like "Hajek+Howden" for "McDonagh", after some prospect seasoning, and goes after the experienced stud.

Seider is future LOCK, but tough to guess other guys after him. Almost impossible to determine who would be traded, but I'm quite sure there will be many trades. Somehow I have a gut feeling that the three guys who are Detroit defence after 5 years, are Seider, Wallinder and Tuomisto.

Think Hronek could end up being traded. Cholowski too.

Tampa Cup defence was

Hedman = own prospect
Shattenkirk = UFA signing
McDonagh = traded, sent some D-prospects away
Cernak = traded at young age from LAK
Sergachev = traded from MTL
Bogosian = traded veteran, deadline deal, gone after the Cup
Coburn = UFA signing
Rutta = UFA signing
Schenn = UFA signing

Hedman was the only own prospect.

But Tampa has drafted NHL defencemen, like Radgo Gudas, Nikita Nesterov, Tony Deangelo, Libor Hajek during the Yzerman era. All were just traded away at young age.

I'll expect the same happen at Detroit.

Only Seider is a LOCK and our "Hedman".

This, 100%.

When the wings won the cup, here were the defensemen we drafted that were regulars.

1997: Lidstrom, Konstantinov (Pushor was not a regular in the postseason)
1998: Lidstrom, Eriksson
2002: Lidstrom, Dandeneault, Fischer
2008: Lidstrom, Kronwall, Lebda (who was a FA signee)

If/when we become contenders again I wouldn't expect more than 3 of our current prospects to remain as our defense. Looking at the group I'd expect them to be Seider, our 2021 draftee (if it's Power or Hughes) and Johansson as the most probable.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This, 100%.

When the wings won the cup, here were the defensemen we drafted that were regulars.

1997: Lidstrom, Konstantinov (Pushor was not a regular in the postseason)
1998: Lidstrom, Eriksson
2002: Lidstrom, Dandeneault, Fischer
2008: Lidstrom, Kronwall, Lebda (who was a FA signee)

If/when we become contenders again I wouldn't expect more than 3 of our current prospects to remain as our defense. Looking at the group I'd expect them to be Seider, our 2021 draftee (if it's Power or Hughes) and Johansson as the most probable.

And FWIW, Dandenault was drafted as a forward.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm not sure who you are thinking of, but Ouellet never won CHL or QMJHL D-man of the year. The only thing XO ever "won" was first team all star in 2012 and 2013.

Sproul won both OHL and CHL D-man of the year in 2012/13.

Hmmm, I guess I'm misremembering, my bad on that

Reactions: kliq

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ouellet had a ton of offensive upside that just did not translate at all. He scored almost as much as Sproul did at the CHL level, and then... nothing.

16-17 was XO's most minutes in Detroit.
Points 60 on the blueline that year.
Green 1.06
Jensen .94
Sproul .72
XO .70
Marchenko .66
Ericsson. 64
Kronwall .41
Dekeyser .41
Smith .25

CF% that year
Jensen 50.6
XO 49.1
Smith 49.1
Kronwall 48.9
Green 47.5
Marchenko 47.13
Ericsson 46.73
Dekeyser 46.1
Sproul 45.3

Goals for/60
Ericsson 2.56
Jensen 2.42
XO 2.39
Marcheno 2.37
Smith 2.11
Dekeyser 2.11
Green 2.07
Kronwall 1.99
Sproul 1.81

Goals against/60
Marchenko 1.57
XO 2.1
Green 2.33
Kronwall 2.33
Smith 2.36
Sproul 2.53
Ericsson 2.56
Jensen 2.96
Dekeyser 3.01

Based on those numbers, XO and Marchenko were doing just fine compared to the rest of this defense.
But XO and Marchenko quickly found themselve on the outside looking in.
Holland went out and got Trevor Daley, which gave Blashill another excuse to turn developing players into afterthoughts.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
16-17 was XO's most minutes in Detroit.
Points 60 on the blueline that year.
Green 1.06
Jensen .94
Sproul .72
XO .70
Marchenko .66
Ericsson. 64
Kronwall .41
Dekeyser .41
Smith .25

CF% that year
Jensen 50.6
XO 49.1
Smith 49.1
Kronwall 48.9
Green 47.5
Marchenko 47.13
Ericsson 46.73
Dekeyser 46.1
Sproul 45.3

Goals for/60
Ericsson 2.56
Jensen 2.42
XO 2.39
Marcheno 2.37
Smith 2.11
Dekeyser 2.11
Green 2.07
Kronwall 1.99
Sproul 1.81

Goals against/60
Marchenko 1.57
XO 2.1
Green 2.33
Kronwall 2.33
Smith 2.36
Sproul 2.53
Ericsson 2.56
Jensen 2.96
Dekeyser 3.01

Based on those numbers, XO and Marchenko were doing just fine compared to the rest of this defense.
But XO and Marchenko quickly found themselve on the outside looking in.
Holland went out and got Trevor Daley, which gave Blashill another excuse to turn developing players into afterthoughts.

Where did you get these stats from? Something doesnt look right. You have E as our #1 D-man in G/60, but that year he had 1 goal in 51 games and played almost 20min per game. Could the year be wrong?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Where did you get these stats from? Something doesnt look right. You have E as our #1 D-man in G/60, but that year he had 1 goal in 51 games and played almost 20min per game. Could the year be wrong?

Natural Stat trick. That's goals for (on ice) not goals for him.
Ericsson only had .64 points/60, soo...
I was surprised that he had the highest goals for/60 of the dmen. Suspect he played lots with Zetterberg.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Natural Stat trick. That's goals for (on ice) not goals for him.
Ericsson only had .64 points/60, soo...
I was surprised that he had the highest goals for/60 of the dmen. Suspect he played lots with Zetterberg.

Ahhhhhh that makes much more sense lol.

Reactions: MBH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
XO, Marchenko, Sproul, Kindl, Smith, Almquist, Backman, Jensen, Cholo etc have built up enough anxiety in me to not trust the Wings ability to draft & develop dmen lol
The NA scouting staff sucked, and it still does, but I only get disappointed when 1st and 2nd rounders fail. Almquist was a 7th round pick and Backman was 5th. Jensen is actually a really good pick in the 5th, only 4 other players selected after him are still in the league.

But I agree with your point, I wouldn't trade any D prospect unless the team has too many NHL caliber Dmen. That is not the case. You can never tell if a prospect's game will translate to the NHL until they actually play in the NHL.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I really think Tuomisto is undersold. I see him as a solid 2nd line guy. By next season his scoring will start to improve and I can see his game really going to another level. I really like the kids smarts and shot. I also think Alex Cotton may eventually throw his hat in the ring as well. I wouldn't really look to trade any of them, not all will pan out, and we have enough right now to survive if all don't pan out. Why get rid of any of them.

Reactions: Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad