Speculation: Future starter

Sep 12, 2012
Ward - I'm all for it, as long as the term doesn't handcuff Burke if it doesn't work out (see Luongo, Pavelec). I'd do 3 years, and re-sign or not depending on his performance.

Hiller - he's 32. He'll be retiring, or close to it, by the time the rebuild is over. Not worth it to sign an aging goalie, proven or otherwise.

Ramo - not a starter. Period.

Ortio - inconsistent, great one game/period/shift, and awful the next. If he's the Flames' starter going forward, they're in big trouble.

Gillies - completely untested. No way to know.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Fantastically reasoned.

Well when you assess the other reasons for goalies this is true for all of them. Ramo has been great-excellent since acclimatizing himself to the NHL game, Ortio has shown extreme promise and is only 22, and Gillies has had periods of extreme success in his albeit short career.

He also seems to have a crystal ball in terms of knowing how Hiller's career and our rebuild will turn out, which is something that shouldn't be discounted. Also the difference between 32 and 30 is astronomical in his eyes as Ward is a viable solution but Hiller is not.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Ward - I'm all for it, as long as the term doesn't handcuff Burke if it doesn't work out (see Luongo, Pavelec). I'd do 3 years, and re-sign or not depending on his performance.

Hiller - he's 32. He'll be retiring, or close to it, by the time the rebuild is over. Not worth it to sign an aging goalie, proven or otherwise.

Ramo - not a starter. Period.

Ortio - inconsistent, great one game/period/shift, and awful the next. If he's the Flames' starter going forward, they're in big trouble.

Gillies - completely untested. No way to know.

Ramo is getting better every game i believe he can be a starter. Ortio is like Gillies young and untested so you can't judge him yet.

Aug 3, 2010
Ramo's starting his NHL career at 27 as a starter just like Kiprusoff and traditionally speaking goalies only really start playing consistently later on in their careers, developing even later than defencemen.

I'm fine with him being an option for the next half decade as long as he keeps playing like he did last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad