Speculation: Future starter

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not so quick to dismiss Ramo. If he plays the way that he was playing during that stretch prior to the Olympics, he could be a stable starter for 7-8 years. There's a tendency to think that players can only be part of our future team if they are 23 or younger right now, but guys (especially goalies) can easily play into their mid-30s.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think Ramo has the best bet. He's really impressed me this season because he started the season as the odd man out and won the hearts of his critics. Very mentally tough goalie who has made huge strides in his consistency. He's my favorite to be our number one short term.

Long term? Gillies I think. While I love Ortio's fight and his commitment, I'm not so sure about his decision making and hockey IQ. Still, can't rule out a guy who works that hard and is that committed to getting better

JulianHopper*

Jonas Hiller To Flames?

Jonas Hiller is an UFA after this season. Probably the best free agent among all goalies.

At this point in the rebuild it's looking like the Flames need a bonafide #1 and starter.

Kari Ramo and Joni Ortio are playing well and looking promising but the Flames will make a move in the offseason for a true number 1 starter.

With Brian Burke's connection to Anaheim this can happen and I would expect the Flames to sign Hiller or another goalie to a 2-3 year deal.

That would give some time for Joni Ortio, Karri Ramo as well as Jon Gillies to get some games in behind a solid starter.

Goaltending wasn't really an issue at the beginning of the season but with the Flames team playing as well as they are now it appears that the goaltending will have to be addressed as the next move on this rebuilding team.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I wouldn't say that so confidently. Goalies are extremely hard to predict; Irving. Pooge, Krahn, and others come to mind.

Exactly. Probably the safest bet would be "other". Not that I'm down on the Flames goalies though. I'm especially excited about Ortio and Gillies.

Goodsauce mentioned Demko. I like Bartosak from the Red Deer Rebels. LA Kings property though.

With the Flames having no goalies in junior right now, I would imagine that the Flames will pick at leat one goalie in the coming draft. There is Demko, who are some of the other interesting draft eligibles?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Jonas Hiller is an UFA after this season. Probably the best free agent among all goalies.

At this point in the rebuild it's looking like the Flames need a bonafide #1 and starter.

Kari Ramo and Joni Ortio are playing well and looking promising but the Flames will make a move in the offseason for a true number 1 starter.

With Brian Burke's connection to Anaheim this can happen and I would expect the Flames to sign Hiller or another goalie to a 2-3 year deal.

That would give some time for Joni Ortio, Karri Ramo as well as Jon Gillies to get some games in behind a solid starter.

Goaltending wasn't really an issue at the beginning of the season but with the Flames team playing as well as they are now it appears that the goaltending will have to be addressed as the next move on this rebuilding team.

Is now the best time to pick a #1 G. I mean we just started a re-build. At this point I'd much rather have Rämö who's been fine and let him get used to NA hockey or Ortio who's been stellar in the AHL and has done pretty well in NHL then keep Roy and Gillies developing. At this point Hiller would just let us climb up in the draft outside the top 5 again. Love Hiller but 3-4 years is the time

JulianHopper*

Is now the best time to pick a #1 G. I mean we just started a re-build. At this point I'd much rather have Rämö who's been fine and let him get used to NA hockey or Ortio who's been stellar in the AHL and has done pretty well in NHL then keep Roy and Gillies developing. At this point Hiller would just let us climb up in the draft outside the top 5 again. Love Hiller but 3-4 years is the time

It probably will depend on whether or not the Flames re-sign Mike Cammalleri or not. I would think that the Flames are overall happy with how this rebuild is going and the players that are currently in the system and coming up.

The thing about a rebuilding team is that you have to work and make changes as you go along.

As the team gets better different weak spots appear and I tihnk right now it's goaltending.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not sure long term but next season my money is on Ward, Hiller, or Riemer depending on how things work out in FA. I think Burke and who ever he brings in as GM will try for a quick turn around and that means bringing in a starting goalie.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I'm sorry, but what does Burke's connection to Anaheim have to do with landing an unrestricted free agent? And your post seems to indicate that the Flames have expressed some sort of intent to land an experienced goalie, when what you were really writing was speculation on your part.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'm sorry, but what does Burke's connection to Anaheim have to do with landing an unrestricted free agent? And your post seems to indicate that the Flames have expressed some sort of intent to land an experienced goalie, when what you were really writing was speculation on your part.

tumblr_lylk0njdUi1r80qb8o1_500.gif

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Next two three years will likely be Ramo, or whoever is signed as a free agent this off season (if anybody)

As for Ortio / Gilles, depends if either can assume the role. They're three+ years away IMO.

I agree, I am thinking it will be Gilles, but he's in college for the next few years anyways. My point was that we most likely won't be competitive (competing for cup) so pretty much anyone will do in the meantime. Ramos / McDonald / FA

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not sure long term but next season my money is on Ward, Hiller, or Riemer depending on how things work out in FA. I think Burke and who ever he brings in as GM will try for a quick turn around and that means bringing in a starting goalie.

I would be OK with Reimer because he's only 26 years old. Any veterans on the downswing is not what this team needs. Any extra wins this team gathers in the short term would only be negated in the long run when the rest of the team is in its prime but its stuck with an expiring goaltender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad