Future of the XFL

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The XFL will return to the field in 2022. I'm hoping it becomes a runaway success.

If it does, it could encourage expansion of the league, with a focus on non-NFL markets.

I'd like to see a three-division structure, looking like this:

East: DC, New York, Tampa Bay, Expansion
Central: Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Expansion
West: Los Angeles, Seattle, Expansion X2

The East's expansion team could be Columbus, the largest city in Ohio without a pro football team of its own.

In the Central, I could see Memphis.

The West could add Portland and San Diego.

What do you see the evolution of the XFL looking like?

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Should merge with CFL.... Keep CAN player rules, but allow a accommodation for when CAN teams play in the US. Really it's just a CAN linebacker, safety, or rec swapped out for an american. There's very minimal change. Just award some other type of benefit.

CFL rules mostly, but on a 100 yard field, since it's too hard to change stadiums to a bigger one. 3 downs, rec in motion pre-snap etc..

Rising tide floats all boats, CFL brings legitimacy and a good/different game, XFL brings American $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ contract/TV etc..

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Should merge with CFL.... Keep CAN player rules, but allow a accommodation for when CAN teams play in the US. Really it's just a CAN linebacker, safety, or rec swapped out for an american. There's very minimal change. Just award some other type of benefit.

CFL rules mostly, but on a 100 yard field, since it's too hard to change stadiums to a bigger one. 3 downs, rec in motion pre-snap etc..

Rising tide floats all boats, CFL brings legitimacy and a good/different game, XFL brings American $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ contract/TV etc..

If this happens and they successfully merge the CFL with the XFL I can see the gates open and the start of the NFL expanding to Canada (specifically Toronto).

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The USFL is also coming back...

I think additional football leagues would work just fine, if they were picking smarter markets.

USFL: Michigan, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Philadelphia; New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay and Birmingham
XFL (2020; as 22 teams haven't been confirmed). Washington, New York, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle.

Of 16 teams, only TWO of those markets don't have NFL teams. That's really dumb. Birmingham, St. Louis make total sense, but putting spring football teams in NFL markets is really silly. Go to the markets WITHOUT NFL teams and people are way more likely to buy in.

The USFL and XFL should have two leagues of 8, the same rules that are pretty close to the NFL only a little more smart/experimental than the NFL. Have the champions meet in a bowl game. And each team should have PDL agreements with two NFL teams.

Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Austin, Saint Louis,
Portland, Oakland, San Diego, Inland Empire

Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, Orlando
Toronto, Providence, Hartford, Richmond

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

I think additional football leagues would work just fine, if they were picking smarter markets.

USFL: Michigan, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Philadelphia; New Orleans, Houston, Tampa Bay and Birmingham
XFL (2020; as 22 teams haven't been confirmed). Washington, New York, Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Los Angeles, Seattle.

Of 16 teams, only TWO of those markets don't have NFL teams. That's really dumb. Birmingham, St. Louis make total sense, but putting spring football teams in NFL markets is really silly. Go to the markets WITHOUT NFL teams and people are way more likely to buy in.

The USFL and XFL should have two leagues of 8, the same rules that are pretty close to the NFL only a little more smart/experimental than the NFL. Have the champions meet in a bowl game. And each team should have PDL agreements with two NFL teams.

3% chance the USFL kicks off. There’s no there there.

40% the XFL wakes up. I have my doubts.

The gist of the problem is that insurance costs are too high for a concussion-heavy sport and the money is in broadcast first. Why else do you think they want big markets?

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I really have no clue on insurance costs.

It stands to reason that the demand for football exists almost everywhere in the US... But an XFL/USFL team is going to have lower demand than the NFL, because it's a lesser product.

And the markets that have a demand for football, but no NFL team (like, Birmingham and St. Louis) are probably going to have more people interest, because that's the best pro football they can get.

This is pretty obvious with:
St. Louis led the XFL in attendance in 2020 before COVID ended the season.
The two markets with TWO NFL teams in them (LA and NY) were the bottom two in XFL 2020 attendance.

And let's not pretend my list of 16 places are "Small" markets compared to theirs. The smallest market in my proposed 16 is the same smallest market in THEIRS.

Their two leagues have a higher total because they have New York/New Jersey. I have Los Angeles, too, I'm just calling them Inland Empire, having them play in Riverside or Ontario, and having those fans be hard core because they can't go to downtown LA easily.

Toronto is about as big as Houston or DC. But Toronto has the CFL and Houston and DC have NFL teams.
San Antonio and Austin are bigger than Pittsburgh and New Orleans.

Maybe keep Detroit, since the Lions suck so bad those fans might buy in.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I really have no clue on insurance costs.

It stands to reason that the demand for football exists almost everywhere in the US... But an XFL/USFL team is going to have lower demand than the NFL, because it's a lesser product.

And the markets that have a demand for football, but no NFL team (like, Birmingham and St. Louis) are probably going to have more people interest, because that's the best pro football they can get.

This is pretty obvious with:
St. Louis led the XFL in attendance in 2020 before COVID ended the season.
The two markets with TWO NFL teams in them (LA and NY) were the bottom two in XFL 2020 attendance.

And let's not pretend my list of 16 places are "Small" markets compared to theirs. The smallest market in my proposed 16 is the same smallest market in THEIRS.

Their two leagues have a higher total because they have New York/New Jersey. I have Los Angeles, too, I'm just calling them Inland Empire, having them play in Riverside or Ontario, and having those fans be hard core because they can't go to downtown LA easily.

Toronto is about as big as Houston or DC. But Toronto has the CFL and Houston and DC have NFL teams.
San Antonio and Austin are bigger than Pittsburgh and New Orleans.

Maybe keep Detroit, since the Lions suck so bad those fans might buy in.

Toronto as a city (nevermind the metro area) is huge. Also, the CFL just does not work in Toronto anymore - it's time to take the Argos out to the woodshed and put them out of their misery. When MLSE took over the team there was a thought that the team would do better but fan apathy is still prevalent. Some games have like 6,000 fans in the stand.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Argos we're also big on the XFL talks over the summer which didn't go anywhere. Some rumours that MLSE can partner with them on their own. Redbird capital who owns the XFL also owns 10% of Fenway Sports group and there was talk that them and MLSE talked merger a year ago or so.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Argos we're also big on the XFL talks over the summer which didn't go anywhere. Some rumours that MLSE can partner with them on their own. Redbird capital who owns the XFL also owns 10% of Fenway Sports group and there was talk that them and MLSE talked merger a year ago or so.

I think the ultimate goal is a NFL team in Toronto but a xfl team could be an upgrade over the CFL if run properly. CFL is just a terribly run league with some owners who are stuck in the 1960 or don't have the means to run a proper growth organization.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I think the ultimate goal is a NFL team in Toronto but a xfl team could be an upgrade over the CFL if run properly. CFL is just a terribly run league with some owners who are stuck in the 1960 or don't have the means to run a proper growth organization.

Funny thing (or not so), the most vocal opponent of the merger/partnership was Edmonton which have been a disaster on the off the field this year.

After they cleaned house one of their board members even said their demographics are brutal and yet they're not open to new ideas

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Funny thing (or not so), the most vocal opponent of the merger/partnership was Edmonton which have been a disaster on the off the field this year.

After they cleaned house one of their board members even said their demographics are brutal and yet they're not open to new ideas

I remember back in the 2000s the only team that was breaking even or turning a profit was Saskatchewan. Not sure what it's like in some other cities but you literally cannot give away Argos tickets to people. I remember through work i was given 6 tickets close to the side lines and I didn't want to go so I tried giving them away for free but no one was willing to go. Posted them on Kijiji/Facebook marketplace and the same thing no bites. Would have given them to charity but I got the run around. It's literally pointless keeping the team in a city that has outgrown the league.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

The whole USFL is going to be played in Birmingham. It's a TV league, the city names are just, well, names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad