Future of the Tucson Roadrunners?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
So, with the Tempe arena deal falling through, that obviously puts the Arizona Coyotes in a state of limbo.

One small detail of any potential relocation of the team that's getting ignored, naturally, is the Tucson Roadrunners, whom the Coyotes own and operate. If the Coyotes relocate, you know the Runners are moving, too.

But, the issue is, nowadays, it's not as fun anymore to speculate because the NHL is just going to have them as close as possible to the parent club and doesn't care if they average 2K a season.

Still, there are quirks. For example, if the team goes to Houston, there's no smaller arena with an ice plant in the city proper. But they could, say, play in Beaumont. Quebec City could try having three tenants at the Colisee, but that's stretching dates. They'd probably instead find a market and put the AHL team there.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Depending on where they'd move to...maybe they sell their franchise to Carolina and move to Chicago? Plenty of direct flights to a lot of places....not ideal but not totally crazy either.

Reactions: Roadhog

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If the team is a success why move it? I know the current trend is to move an AHL affiliate closer to the NHL home base but there should be exceptions for more successful and profitable teams.

Reactions: adsfan and Roadhog

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
If the team is a success why move it? I know the current trend is to move an AHL affiliate closer to the NHL home base but there should be exceptions for more successful and profitable teams.

Why move it? Because the AHL is about prospect development, it isn't about drawing in tons of fans. As long as the team isn't in an empty house and they're churning out NHLers with some regularity, the NHL team won't care.

I am guessing you know next to absolutely nothing about the Tucson Roadrunners. Look at their attendance. They have never drawn outside the Bottom 10 in AHL attendance. They have never come close to getting outside the 3.500-4.000 range. Corporate support is in that who "sustainable but not great" zone as well. In the hypothetical situation where the Coyotes relocate, the Roadrunners will be relocated as well.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
So, with the Tempe arena deal falling through, that obviously puts the Arizona Coyotes in a state of limbo.

One small detail of any potential relocation of the team that's getting ignored, naturally, is the Tucson Roadrunners, whom the Coyotes own and operate. If the Coyotes relocate, you know the Runners are moving, too.

But, the issue is, nowadays, it's not as fun anymore to speculate because the NHL is just going to have them as close as possible to the parent club and doesn't care if they average 2K a season.

Still, there are quirks. For example, if the team goes to Houston, there's no smaller arena with an ice plant in the city proper. But they could, say, play in Beaumont. Quebec City could try having three tenants at the Colisee, but that's stretching dates. They'd probably instead find a market and put the AHL team there.
Corpus Christi to Houston is just a SouthWest flight away.
That being typed, for cost reasons, it would make sense to leave them in Tuscon or move them to a city closer to other AHL teams.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Corpus Christi to Houston is just a SouthWest flight away. ...
With Southwest dominating the aviation industry headlines for the last 6 months, there remains little comfort in such "flight away" statements. But Greyhound has regular service between the two cities, so there is still hope to make such a fantasy affiliation work.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
IIRC, Flin Flon is in Manitoba.

Would that be "a little bit south of Saskatoon?" ...
Flin Flon latitude = 54.765770. Saskatoon latitude = 52.1332144. So unless the Earth's poles flipped while I was napping, the answer is "No."

1685395227181.png

Reactions: adsfan and Roadhog

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
With Southwest dominating the aviation industry headlines for the last 6 months, there remains little comfort in such "flight away" statements. But Greyhound has regular service between the two cities, so there is still hope to make such a fantasy affiliation work.
Nice but feeble attempt at humor. Then again, given the lack of hockey intelligence, knowledge, and common sense in general by some who post here, comments like yours are expected from time to time.
Have a nice weekend.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
IIRC, Flin Flon is in Manitoba.

Would that be "a little bit south of Saskatoon?"

Barclay Donaldson, how do you and Tim McCracken feel about that?

Flin Flin is half in Saskatchewan and half in Manitoba.

Are you unfamiliar with the great town named after the fictional character Josiah Flintabbatey Flonatin?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Nice but feeble attempt at humor. Then again, given the lack of hockey intelligence, knowledge, and common sense in general by some who post here, comments like yours are expected from time to time.
Have a nice weekend.
Your generosity is exceeded only by your kindness. Keep it up.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I think if the Coyotes do move, it wouldn't be long until the Roadrunners would as well. I would imagine they'd either want the franchise closer to their new hometown or assuming the Coyotes in a new location would also be under new ownership, depending on who would buy them they could be sold off to another NHL team and then moved closer there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad