Future of Norwegian hockey

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Wow, that's a huge blow for International Ice Hockey. They are IIHF Number 12 right now in the men's side (and 13 in the Women's side) and pretty generally in that "group of teams playing in the last round of Olympic qualifying" and they did in fact participate in the Olympics in 2010, 2014 and 2018.

For a sport that is so razor thin in terms of the number of countries that can seriously participate, losing any bit of "depth" is bad. Norway has produced 14 NHL Draft Picks since 1999, which is not a lot but does show that there has been a "path" to the NHL from there, which is not the case in most parts of the world. This most recent season, 35 year old Mats Zuccarrello was the only Norweigan to play NHL games but there were 2 young guys that played in the AHL, 7 players that appeared in at least one game in the SHL, 4 that played games in Liiga.

The demise of the hockey program there is definitely no good.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Well, that tweet is a bit misleading. They're not folding the whole organization (yet), they're just pausing all international activities for the rest of the calendar year, apart from the U20. Anything happening in 2024, for example U18 and World Championship, is still undetermined.

Reactions: hn777

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
They need to invest more to get better. We need more ice rinks. There are not many, and a lot of them are old, and expensive to service.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
i thought the op would write something that Norway have surpassed Sweden

this is OT, but I remember one WJC year where they had like a 6'9 monster of a defenseman.. can't remember his name for the life of me.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

member 305909

Kind of gives you a clue why Norway is one of the richest countries in the world.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
The federation had about a 1M deficit last year. That's why they are pausing some operations. I think some of it is due to covid when everything was shut down the year before.

member 305909

That too. Without oil they would only be a rich country. With oil they are a super-rich country.

However, if Finnish politicians were given the amount of money that Norway has in its oil-fund that money would be squandered in a very short time.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
20 hockey players in Norway might one day, via miracle, win one Olympic medal.

20 top notch athletes put into skiing might win 40 medals.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
20 hockey players in Norway might one day, via miracle, win one Olympic medal.

20 top notch athletes put into skiing might win 40 medals.
Chinese logic, not norwegian though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad