Future of Kunlun

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
China's World Championship lineup this year, bolded players are either currently listed with Kunlun or their eligibility is not directly related to the project while players in italics have already signed elsewhere:

F
P. Foo - Lockhart - S. Foo
Yip - Riche - Wong
Zhong - Kane - Zhang
Yan
- Guo

D
Sproul - Joe
Fram - Yuen
Chelios - Schultz
Chen - Yan

G
O'Brien
Han

Players that were not a part of the 2022 roster but have signed with Kunlun, stats from last season:

F
Pu (24) potentially eligible 2023 - KHL 15 games (3+3=6)
Rodewald (28) potentially eligible 2024 - Finland 50 games (12+10=22)
Werek (31) eligible - KHL 45 games (7+8=15)

D
Leslie (28) potentially eligible 2024 - AHL 64 games (4+23=27)
LoVerde (33) potentially eligible 2024 - Austria 41 games (2+13=15)
Ross (21) potentially eligible 2024 - OHL 58 games (11+15=26)
Somerby (28) potentially eligible 2024 - AHL 55 games (1+10=11)
Wood (26) potentially eligible 2024 - Czechia 54 games (8+14=22)

G
Smith (33) eligible - KHL 25 games (.898)
Jurusik (25) potentially eligible 2024 -AHL 22 games (.901) & ECHL 12 games (.928)

Even if they naturalize most players they have access to it is barely an improvement, and their Division II dominance was not overwhelming.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Even if they naturalize most players they have access to it is barely an improvement, and their Division II dominance was not overwhelming.
We were 1 place away from qualifying to the Elite division this year with a team that had a handful of legitimately professional players. Whatever China brings is going to be professional players competing at the KHL level. Who is going to keep them out of there? Hungary? Believing it is just wishful thinking taken to the max.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
We were 1 place away from qualifying to the Elite division this year with a team that had a handful of legitimately professional players. Whatever China brings is going to be professional players competing at the KHL level. Who is going to keep them out of there? Hungary? Believing it is just wishful thinking taken to the max.
In a vacuum it may be that they have 2-3 lines of players that could also be in the AHL or the ECHL, but a mercenary team of that caliber is not going to have it easy against a legit hockey program of some quality like Hungary. Kazakhstan is still just a borderline top division team with a much better domestic hockey program and better quality imports. With Italy stocking up for the Olympics it's not getting any easier either.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yes they are not going to have it easy as nobody has it easy at the elevator team level (or the old D1A level as it used to be). But now, when there are only 3 teams of that level (that's including China) in D1A and 2 promotion places your chances are 2/3 based on pure luck. Not to mention that, again, no matter how you spin it, they will most likely have the best roster.

Kazakhstan's example is largely irrelevant in the world missing 2 legitimate top-15 nations at the Elite. At the level we are talking about it truly makes all the difference.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Of course a short tournament is always prone to surprises and you can argue that the Lithuanian 3rd-place finish was one, but that goes both ways. Next year they'll have to overcome all of Japan, Ukraine, Estonia, Serbia, and the Netherlands with what is going to be a depleted roster to one extent or another. Given enough commitment they could possibly add a few players in 2024, but even then they wouldn't be much of a behemoth for Division I A should they get that far to start with. Meanwhile the older players of their Olympic core and even some of these more recent imports are starting to be of certain age.

Add the effects of a likely failed Olympic qualification round either in 2024 or in 2025 and I really don't think the odds are on their side when it comes to getting higher than DIA.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The club negotiates with Beijing National Indoor Stadium (capacity 18 000) as their home venue for 2023/2024 KHL season, the 2022 Beijing Olympics was played there. As reserve venues are Wukesong Arena & Shougang Gymnasium both in Beijing. KRS Beijing was forced to play in Russia last couple of years due to COVID19 & missing appropriate venues in Beijing. Now, COVID restrictions are lifted & venues are ready. So the club can move back to Beijing for upcoming season.

Reactions: Rigafan

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
The club negotiates with Beijing National Indoor Stadium (capacity 18 000) as their home venue for 2023/2024 KHL season, the 2022 Beijing Olympics was played there. As reserve venues are Wukesong Arena & Shougang Gymnasium both in Beijing. KRS Beijing was forced to play in Russia last couple of years due to COVID19 & missing appropriate venues in Beijing. Now, COVID restrictions are lifted & venues are ready. So the club can move back to Beijing for upcoming season.
Hopefully they can get some attendance

lawrence

May 19, 2012
team needs to sell the city. Beijing is an incredible city that is probably has a higher standard of living than most NHL cities. Also stop bringing in CBC'S and actual hockey talent.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That venue still resembles an airport though, but at least there are the 18,000 seats for 50 people.

GettyImages-1310514862.jpg

3000.jpeg

Reactions: kp61c

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
That is not a hockey venue and it should not be used as such. What a disgrace.

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
Maybe not and it does look weird, but they need to go back to China and try and grow an actual fanbase and in the East, not based in Moscow
I absolutely agree with you. I want hockey to grow and China is obviously a huge market, but I hope we'll see a more fitting arena soon.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Hopefully they can get some attendance
LOL, ain't gonna happen.

They'll get the curiosity bump at first since it had been a while, but when the fans realize its the same garbage team that shat themselves at the Olympics, Kunlun will be lucky to draw 1K nightly.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
LOL, ain't gonna happen.

They'll get the curiosity bump at first since it had been a while, but when the fans realize its the same garbage team that shat themselves at the Olympics, Kunlun will be lucky to draw 1K nightly.
If Chinese need to have 10k attendance, you know they can do it

Reactions: Rigafan

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
I absolutely agree with you. I want hockey to grow and China is obviously a huge market, but I hope we'll see a more fitting arena soon.
The problem is... China has to do China things, and while that may work in some departments, in ice hockey, they really have to accept that outsiders probably know a lot more than they do. So until that mindset changes, Kunlun is just going to spin in circles.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
But that’s likely organic attendance, what I mean is if they NEED to show 10k attendance, they will accomplish it
Yeah, but why would they? At the Olympics it was important to demonstrate that China can produce safe games with spectators while their competitors could not, but Chinese KHL participation is just a generous handout to their own junior partner to start with and the Russians are supposed to be grateful for the fact rather than somehow impressed by Kunlun's performance. As a side product the Chinese get to maintain a half-serious national team which is meaningful for having one in each Olympic sport as hosts (because the Americans, the Japanese, even the Koreans have too).

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I don't use Twitter, and I've had a look but can't find it. Just before the season started one of their import players had a picture, and he pointed to a date, 2025 or 2026 and the caption said something like 'We'll be here till at least then!' with regard to the team being in the KHL.

TheSanny

May 11, 2011
The problem is... China has to do China things, and while that may work in some departments, in ice hockey, they really have to accept that outsiders probably know a lot more than they do. So until that mindset changes, Kunlun is just going to spin in circles.

Also, China does not really focus on, nor are really (historically) good at any team sports.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Also, China does not really focus on, nor are really (historically) good at any team sports.
They're really good at the individual efforts. But, yeah, team sports have always eluded them, mostly because they believe that if you keep smashing your collective skulls against the brick wall, that wall will tumble down and China will win something.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
But that’s likely organic attendance, what I mean is if they NEED to show 10k attendance, they will accomplish it
KHL officials: "We assumed Kunlun would average 10K in Beijing."
Chinese hockey official: "It did. It had 10K last night. Now hurry, the fans are getting restless!"

1GORCGp5T2e51e6NbwNSby3GZBkn3gJdn0yHxlNWYWg.jpg

Reactions: mattihp

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
They're really good at the individual efforts. But, yeah, team sports have always eluded them, mostly because they believe that if you keep smashing your collective skulls against the brick wall, that wall will tumble down and China will win something.
They do well in some women's team sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad