Future of Goalie Equipment?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Ah, you had the goalies until you said smaller.

Goalies equipment for the most part is smaller today than it was in the 90s.

I know most players think they intuitively understand the position and what actually went into it, but unfortunately that often isn't the case.

Pads went from 12-13" to 11", pad height went way up post lockout up to 38" and is currently closer to 33-35 for most goalies, gloves and blockers are way smaller, pants are about the same and chests are about the same.

Making the equipment smaller just allows goalies to become faster and considering the average goalie is 6'2 nowadays, you can make the equipment smaller and they're still massive...massive and fast.

If you want more scoring, call 100% of penalties all the time, although I don't know if anyone wants to watch 40 minutes of powerplays every game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

I know most players think they intuitively understand the position and what actually went into it, but unfortunately that often isn't the case.

Pads went from 12-13" to 11", pad height went way up post lockout up to 38" and is currently closer to 33-35 for most goalies, gloves and blockers are way smaller, pants are about the same and chests are about the same.

Making the equipment smaller just allows goalies to become faster and considering the average goalie is 6'2 nowadays, you can make the equipment smaller and they're still massive...massive and fast.

If you want more scoring, call 100% of penalties all the time, although I don't know if anyone wants to watch 40 minutes of powerplays every game.

The solution is to reduce a penalty for "harmless" infractions like tripping and puck over glass to 1 minute. With each individual PP being less influential it is easier to call more.

Reactions: canuckster19

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
It's kind of funny when comments are made regarding how much smaller goalie equipment is now compared to the 90s. The equipment used now is massive compared to what goalies used in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Goalie gloves alone are twice as big.

:jets

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I have wondered how small they would make equipment if they could theorectically be just as safe in pads the same size as players. I am pretty sure the origin of pads were to protect the goalie. Only gloves were made to stop pucks.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
It's kind of funny when comments are made regarding how much smaller goalie equipment is now compared to the 90s. The equipment used now is massive compared to what goalies used in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Goalie gloves alone are twice as big.

:jets

If only players equipment improved.

Damn cheating goalies trying to ruin our 8-7 games because of "muh gaa" and "muh sv percentage"

CrashBartley

Nov 19, 2014

I said this tongue in cheek....kinda. I know gear is smaller than it used to be, but it's still larger than prior to the Garth Snows, Patrick Roys of the world took over in the '90's. And much of the gear is still larger than it needs to be. I now, I'm a goalie. That being said, what goalie wants gear to be smaller? None that I know of.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
I'd think you'd want a chest protector that's a little more absorbent for better rebound control.

It's been 15 years since I've been a goalie and probably didn't face slap shots over 75mph but I only ever remember it hurting when you take a puck in certain parts of your arm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad