Future of Dave Andrews (leading AHL) UPD announces retirement 6/30/20

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If Chicago, where does NHL Vegas move their affiliation? (I thought I remembered they signed a multi-year affiliation deal.)

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
If Chicago, where does NHL Vegas move their affiliation? (I thought I remembered they signed a multi-year affiliation deal.)

Did you read the post i quoted? If not maybe go back and do that...my response was to if Springfield moves do they pressure the new pres to move the league office. Chicago/Vegas has less than 0 to do with it.

Reactions: 210

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
If there was any move of the AHL offices, it would be to Toronto and New York. They would be located in the vicinity of the NHL considering most decision now are handled by the NHL through those on the AHL BoG. The AHL lost its independence long along so the fact they need an independent location for their league offices is rather moot at this point.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If there was any move of the AHL offices, it would be to Toronto and New York. They would be located in the vicinity of the NHL considering most decision now are handled by the NHL through those on the AHL BoG. The AHL lost its independence long along so the fact they need an independent location for their league offices is rather moot at this point.

Why pay the costs to move? It's not like it matters where the building is for the AHL to just say "yes" to every demand.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
It probably would have more to do with the new comissioner, in my opinion. If he (or she) wants to move to Springfield, and they want to retain the current staff who live there now, it is easier to stay. If the new person doesn't want to more there, and the current staff are willing to relocate, or are replaceable, they may move. NYC seems unlikely due to the high cost of real estate. Even if they need to visit the NHL office sometimes, a monthly trip to NY for a couple days is still a lot cheaper than the difference in cost of office space and the increase in staff expenses.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
It probably would have more to do with the new comissioner, in my opinion. If he (or she) wants to move to Springfield, and they want to retain the current staff who live there now, it is easier to stay. If the new person doesn't want to more there, and the current staff are willing to relocate, or are replaceable, they may move. NYC seems unlikely due to the high cost of real estate. Even if they need to visit the NHL office sometimes, a monthly trip to NY for a couple days is still a lot cheaper than the difference in cost of office space and the increase in staff expenses.
MGM might have to divest their Springfield interests it might have a effect on the T Birds since their a arena backer

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
It's in Princeton, NJ, which is well away from NYC. It's 1 hr 45 minutes from the ECHL HQ to NHL HQ. It's 2 hr 15 minutes from current AHL HQ to NHL HQ. I don't see them relocating everything to NYC, it doesn't make any sense.
ECHL offices used to be in Charlotte. I believe they moved after Brian McKenna took over from Pat Kelly. Pat still lives near Charlotte. Brian was the GM of the Titans before taking over as commissioner. Of course the AHL BOD could tell the new commissioner that if he takes the job he has to move to Springfield, but otherwise I think it comes down to how strongly the new boss feels about where he wants to live vs the league economics of real estate, rent, employees, etc. They could do 90% of their work from anywhere, and league meetings are usually held elsewhere anyway.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Considering he let the Pacific Division only play 68 games, I'm glad he's going. Here's to hoping the next commissioner has the cojones to make the division play the same amount, and if they threaten to leave and make their own league, let 'em.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Considering he let the Pacific Division only play 68 games, I'm glad he's going. Here's to hoping the next commissioner has the cojones to make the division play the same amount, and if they threaten to leave and make their own league, let 'em.
Those decisions are made by the board of governors, not by the commissioner. He can't just decide to tell the owners what to do. The commissioner can certainly advocate for an equal schedule for all teams, but he can't force it - and the owners decided this was the best compromise, taking all factors into consideration. Considering that the majority of teams are now owned by NHL teams, it isn't surprising to see the NHL owners getting what they want.

If the league splits in two, the potential exists for one league to poach affiliations from the other. Say the west splits off and becomes the NHL2 and east stays at the AHL. Nothing to stop Vancouver from deciding to buy an NHL2 franchise and move their affiliation to Fresno or Abbotsford, leaving Utica no affiliation, and no one to sell their now worthless franchise to. There would also be no particular reason for the new NHL2 to confine itself to the west coast. They could offer a better deal to other NHL owners, and start their own midwest division, taking Vegas' affiliation away from Chicago, St Louis from San Antonio, etc. The locally owned teams need to protect their franchise value, and allowing a new league to start up that would directly compete with them for affiliations, players, referees, staff, etc, is not in their best interest. Also, it would increase the per team cost for things like workers compensation insurance, and reduce the value of national sponsorships, since the league would have less teams.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Those decisions are made by the board of governors, not by the commissioner. He can't just decide to tell the owners what to do. The commissioner can certainly advocate for an equal schedule for all teams, but he can't force it - and the owners decided this was the best compromise, taking all factors into consideration. Considering that the majority of teams are now owned by NHL teams, it isn't surprising to see the NHL owners getting what they want.

If the league splits in two, the potential exists for one league to poach affiliations from the other. Say the west splits off and becomes the NHL2 and east stays at the AHL. Nothing to stop Vancouver from deciding to buy an NHL2 franchise and move their affiliation to Fresno or Abbotsford, leaving Utica no affiliation, and no one to sell their now worthless franchise to. There would also be no particular reason for the new NHL2 to confine itself to the west coast. They could offer a better deal to other NHL owners, and start their own midwest division, taking Vegas' affiliation away from Chicago, St Louis from San Antonio, etc. The locally owned teams need to protect their franchise value, and allowing a new league to start up that would directly compete with them for affiliations, players, referees, staff, etc, is not in their best interest. Also, it would increase the per team cost for things like workers compensation insurance, and reduce the value of national sponsorships, since the league would have less teams.

And, like the last time you tried to explain all this to me, why do I not feel sorry for the AHL?

If they want to split, I'm for the split. Also, you have to realize that the intent of the Pacific Division was purely one to give them complete autonomy over player development as opposed to providing a balance between development and regional accessibility, which was why the isolation and reduced schedule happened. I doubt this "NHL2" as you call it would suddenly encroach on the AHL and consume everything. And, even if it does, well... so be it.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

If the AHL moved the HQ, I would suggest Rochester or Syracuse. They are between NYC and Toronto and close to a lot of the teams in the NE, plus it would be closer to the Midwest and the other AHL teams. Both cities have airports that you can get to in 1 or 2 flights. The cost of living in or near those cities should be relatively low, as well as office space. Rochester has been in the AHL since 1956.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
And, like the last time you tried to explain all this to me, why do I not feel sorry for the AHL?

If they want to split, I'm for the split. Also, you have to realize that the intent of the Pacific Division was purely one to give them complete autonomy over player development as opposed to providing a balance between development and regional accessibility, which was why the isolation and reduced schedule happened. I doubt this "NHL2" as you call it would suddenly encroach on the AHL and consume everything. And, even if it does, well... so be it.
I don't think anyone is asking you to feel sorry for the AHL. Obviously (to me at least) they don't want to split, likely for the reasons I gave, and probably others. If they wanted to split they probably would have already. They have compromised because they want to stay together. You clearly want them to split, and don't care how that would affect the economics for the owners. If a few more locally owned teams get bought out by their NHL affiliates I wouldn't be surprised to see the league switch to the western division schedule for the entire league. I would bet teams like Hershey and Chicago are likely holding out to keep those extra games because they don't want to lose the income, the NHL owned teams would probably prefer the shorter schedule, and some of the lower attended locally owned teams could probably go either way, since losing a poorly attended few midweek games would probably be a break even for them.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Maple Leafs not sweating goaltending situation - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman with an update from a couple of weeks ago
The AHL has formed the selection committee in charge of finding a successor to longtime president and CEO Dave Andrews. Included are Lyman Bullard, a governor on Portland’s previous AHL team; Manitoba owner Mark Chipman; Syracuse owner Howard Dolgon; Dallas GM Jim Nill; and Rick Pych, in his 27th year with Spurs Sports & Entertainment, owner of the San Antonio Rampage.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In general, I'm thinking that the owners would not consider one of their own for president/commissioner to avoid conflict of interest.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
He is a former Springfield Indian it probably doesn't mean anything when it comes to the HQ though it will probably stay in Springfield or they will move it where the NHL wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad