Future Leafs on Team Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Now I'm not talking out of the playoffs IIHF World Championships, I'm talking future best on best tournaments.

Pretty sure Rielly and Marner are future locks, but given the current dominant winning formula Team Canada employs, Babs like to use established chemistry with forward pairings whenever possible.

Like Toews and Kane, Matthews and Marner won't be an option for Team Canada.

Marner and Kadri will, though. If Kadri can up his game to 25+ G, 60+ P playing with the new influx of talent and establishes really good chemistry with Marner, I can see Kadri filling Marchand's role once he declines, as they are similar type players.

Kadri-McDavid-Marner for instance. Yes this is a pipe dream in its infancy, as Kadri is nowhere near that level yet, but the reasoning is sound.

Bergeron-Marchand
Getzlaf-Perry
Couture-Thornton
ROR-Duchene (developed together in Colorado)

Injured: Seguin-Benn

And Marner-Kadri will have already had years of playing time in Babcock's system, with him as coach.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I love Kadri but I don't think he will be on Canada for a best-on-best tournament. I do see him eclipsing 60 pts but there's just too much talent for Canada. I can definitely see him going to the IIHF Worlds in the future though.

Marner, Rielly I do see being on Team Canada for the Olympics/World Cup some day.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I do think Marner will be good, I just have my doubts he will be at the level required to be on Team Canada. The only one I see, as of right now, is Rielly.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I don't see it NOW, either.

In 2010 nobody would have ever imagined that Marchand could have ever played himself onto team Canada, although Bergeron was there.

Never say never.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kadri won't get a sniff unless something incredible happens. Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Couture, Toews, and Giroux in addition to the ones you noted from the WC team would all make the team before Kadri as they are only within a couple years of Kadri.

Marner would be the best bet out of our forward group. And I doubt Kadri would get dragged to a best-on-best tournament even if he plays well with Marner. Though, I guess if Kunitz is brought, anything can happen.

Rielly definitely has a good shot to become a reliable best-on-best dman for Canada.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Kadri won't get a sniff unless something incredible happens. Crosby, Tavares, Stamkos, Couture, Toews, and Giroux in addition to the ones you noted from the WC team would all make the team before Kadri as they are only within a couple years of Kadri.

Marner would be the best bet out of our forward group. And I doubt Kadri would get dragged to a best-on-best tournament even if he plays well with Marner. Though, I guess if Kunitz is brought, anything can happen.

Rielly definitely has a good shot to become a reliable best-on-best dman for Canada.

Exactly. Everything is in flux. Even Crosby will decline at some point.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Kadri has essentially zero chance. Taylor Hall can't make this team and he's far better than Naz will ever be (and I like Kadri).

Rielly is our best bet.

Calling Marner a lock is really weird. It's certainly not out of the question he's good enough one day, but really no recently drafted player outside of McDavid is a lock. It's just too competitive to guarantee Mitch will be one of the 12 best Canadian forwards at the right time.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
If Rielly doesnt make Canada in a best on best tournament, it will be a big disappointment. A left hand shot, World Championship experience, versatility, and also Team North America success

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Kadri has essentially zero chance. Taylor Hall can't make this team and he's far better than Naz will ever be (and I like Kadri).

Rielly is our best bet.

Calling Marner a lock is really weird. It's certainly not out of the question he's good enough one day, but really no recently drafted player outside of McDavid is a lock. It's just too competitive to guarantee Mitch will be one of the 12 best Canadian forwards at the right time.

Yea, talk about over hype. Jeez. Let's see how he does in the NHL first. Wow, unreal.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

Rielly is our best bet.

In 2010 Marchand had zero chance, too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Rielly is our best bet.

Agree with all this.

buttman*

Rielly and Marner are the only two with a chance. Kadri is laughable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Rielly is our best bet.

Zero chance even sounds high for Kadri, as less than zero seems more realistic!! ;)

Only chance Naz ever has would be for the World Championships, when most of the NHL teams are still in the playoffs and non playoff teams comprise TC.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think Marner could be on the team consistently. Rielly might be more of a bubble guy (there one tourney, maybe not the next). Referring to team depth; not a slight on either player.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
By the time Marchand is in obvious decline, it's not farfetched to assume Kadri will be too. They are after all only a couple of years apart in age. :help:

Marner is only a wild card at this point - he could be anything, and it is too early to project. I believe that Rielly stands a decent chance as he has been a part of almost everything "Canada" outside of the Olympics thus far.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Zero chance even sounds high for Kadri, as less than zero seems more realistic!! :WG:

Only chance ever has would be for the World Championships when most of the NHL teams are still in the playoffs and non playoff teams comprise TC.

Yep. Its about as realistic as Kunitz ever dressing for a Canadian Olympic team!

Oh wait...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yep. Its about as realistic as Kunitz ever dressing for a Canadian Olympic team!

Oh wait...

By the time the 2020 WC roles around Kadri (if he is still a Leaf) will be Leafs 3rd line centre behind Matthews and Nylander.

I'll go with

Crosby
McDavid
Toews
Tavares
Seguin

Down the middle :)

buttman*

So was Kunitz. In 2010 the notion of Marchand would have been as well.

Kunitz is still laughable. He was terrible. Marchand was always under-rated.

Kadri is too one-dimensional. Does not know how to use his teammates. Comparing him to others on team Canada show ignorance. He's an ok player but isn't anywhere near the leagues best.

He's not Crosby's linemate, doesn't kill penalties, isn't good on the draw and is not that great defensively. Are you suggesting his 40 points are going to put him over the top? :laugh:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
BTW I fully agree that the Kadri we know RIGHT NOW, has a less than zero chance of representing.

None of us know what the Kadri, two seasons from now, developing as part of the core of this new Leafs team will turn into.

And yes Marner is a question mark as well. But ALL THREE played for Canada at the junior level and Kadri and Rielly have dressed for Canada at the IIHF WC's.

So never say never.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Kunitz is still laughable. He was terrible. Marchand was always under-rated.

Kadri is too one-dimensional. Does not know how to use his teammates. Comparing him to others on team Canada show ignorance. He's an ok player but isn't anywhere near the leagues best.

He's not Crosby's linemate, doesn't kill penalties, isn't good on the draw and is not that great defensively. Are you suggesting his 40 points are going to put him over the top? :laugh:

With bogus plugs for linemates these past few seasons, he gets a little closer to 50 points than 40, methinks. :nod:

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Riellys doing a could job to build his international resume thus far played a prominent role on the World Championship team this year and team NA success helps his case to i suppose. I dont think its unrealistic if he keeps progressing the way we all hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca